Hyper-V, Clustering Windows 2008 Servers and Microsoft Licensing

Hyper-V, Clustering Windows 2008 Servers and Microsoft Licensing

Hello everyone, I currently have a server (Xeon 1x5310, 4gb RAM, 4x500gb hdd in Raid 10) with Windows 2003. Now do to a project I'm looking at installing Windows 2008 and upgrading to 2x5310 and 16gb of RAM on my server.

I'm looking to create a virtualized test environment for development of a new web service I'm working on. What I'm looking to develop right now is 2 file servers, 3 web servers, 3 MS SQL database servers and 1 DNS server (would prefer but not sure if hardware can handle it. Virtualization would be ideal as this is very similar to what we believe will we have when we launch the service.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you might be able to answer:

1) With the upgraded hardware specs, should it be able to handle the load if I assign each virtual entity 1 core with 2gb of RAM each?

2) I would like to create each of the multiple servers in a cluster (ie cluster of webservers) as this is how it will be in production. But, I've never worked with clusters before so:

a) where can I learn about clustering windows 2008 servers?

b) is this possible to do in a virtualized environment?

3) How does MS work the licensing? I want to have each server running Windows 2008 and 2-3 of them running SQL Server 2005.

a) Do they charge extra for each virtualized server?

b) Does this mean I have to purchase 3 complete copies of SQL Server or is there a way I can pay a low license fee for use in a non-commercial, non-production environment?

4) Does anyone see any problems with this setup or have any suggestions for me?

* I do have money available to spend on a good solution, so if you have suggestions that cost please let me know. I just thought virtualization would be the way to go as the project will be in development for at least a year with no public access.

** I realize that Hyper-V hasn't been released yet (that I know of) so information on it might be limited

Thanks for any info!

The question about if it can handle it depends on just how hard you're going to be pushing the hardware. i.e. I assume you are making the MSSQL into a cluster fine, but you still need shared storage for that I think.

As for the web server bit, that is really NLB you want not clustering. And unless you're doing something way out there the only difference is going to be the session state and cache issue. You can replicate that by just increasing the worker threads in an App Pool to be honest.

If you're talking about running this in devellopment then really I'd get an MSDN subscription. I've found it invaluable at trying mock setups.

Hope that helps
    Damien

We're looking here at a multi-tier setup: You need NLB for the Webservers and Failover Clustering for the SQL Server part.

NLB balances the load to different Webservers and Failover Clustering gives you redundancy, the whole setup then is resilience.