Where does 1 & 1 Maket their service?

I have been doing alot of R&D on webhosting adverting and it baffles me that one of the largest hosting companies like 1 & 1 cannot be found anywhere.

I goto almost every hosting directory site, google, yahoo searches etc, even no major affiliate sites. Yet they signup over 20,000 new customers a week.

What am I missing here?

20,000 new customers a week seems a little steep, but I'm not 100% what does there attrition rate look like? They are a UK based provider from what I can see here on WHT and there are alot of threads on here about them in the last 3 weeks.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

Maybe the do mostly "offline" advertising, and from there get a lot of signups through word of mouth...
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more

I would suspect that their 'word of mouth' advertising might not neccesarily help them all that much. When I looked at them a while back, the majority of advertising was done through offline means...in particualr the packaging of services with other providers.

I dont remmeber the exact details but have a sniff around and you should find it.

a few years ago (turn of the century) 1&1 gave away free hosting accounts. decently sized with modereate b/w. i do not recall the size of the accounts but do remember they were above the average sizes being offered at the time.

they gave away for free, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of accounts and made money on 'value-added services' like domain registrations, upgrades, etc.

it's probably where the term 'over-selling' was started

They have 2-3 Page spreads in PCMagazine, Entrepreneur Mag, and a 1/4 page in Maxim.. just to start. They advertise on adwords etc.. they wouldn't waste their time on some small directory.

They definitely do a lot of offline advertising. I've seen them in every big and reasonably-related magazine from PCMag to Entrepreneur on to some of the Web Design mags at Barnes and Noble.

Offline advertising, almost exclusively.

They advertise in loads of mags (they're one of the few hosts that has a budget that big..). And word of mouth too.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

1 &1 advertise a lot on magazines. I seen their multi page ads on many business magazines like Inc, entrepreneur, VAR etc.. For many non technical businesses Godaddy and 1 & 1 are the only two companies reaching them. Many of the smaller hosting companies seems to be advertising and reaching only a subset of potential customers.
    SupportPRO.com Quality outsourced hosting support and server administration @ affordable rates. Let the PROs handle your customer service 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    I have been doing alot of R&D on webhosting adverting and it baffles me that one of the largest hosting companies like 1 & 1 cannot be found anywhere.

I goto almost every hosting directory site, google, yahoo searches etc, even no major affiliate sites. Yet they signup over 20,000 new customers a week.

What am I missing here?
    It might be SEO, I have not checked for myself but they might be ranked in first pages in google for searches as web hosting.
    Server Management + Support to your hosting clients (unlimited tickets and servers) in one monthly fee.
    Outsourced Support
    | ManageAndSupport.com.

**We will monitor and harden your server + provide direct support to your hosting customers.**

Quote Originally Posted by MANAGEANDSUPPORT_COM View Post
    It might be SEO, I have not checked for myself but they might be ranked in first pages in google for searches as web hosting.
    I don't think they are...
    HostGamma.com | HostGamma Europe | HostGamma Asia
    USA, Canada, Brazil, UK, Netherlands, HK, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, Singapore and more