Exclamation Switching Servers - Need Help and Advice

Hello everyone..

I am finally switching servers at ThePlanet from my Celeron processor to a beefier and much more powerful/newer solution. It should solve all of my high load problems and it's really affordable.

So basically, I have to migrate about 30 sites to the new server. The problem is, several of the hosted sites rely on databases and some even have SSL certificates associated with them.

I have cPanel, and I know there is a cool tool in WHM to copy files from another server. However, I have been told it will not bring any databases with it.

So I am stuck wondering how the heck I transfer the databases and have them all set up properly?

Also, how do I transfer an SSL certificate to the new server?

In addition to all of that, is there any information I need to know before initiating the transfer besides what I have already asked? I know I need to configure it first, with all of the settings I have on the old one.

I am not a web hosting company, this is all for personal use. I definitely need some guidance on what to do and how to do it right from the start.

The only other question I have, is how long does all of this take? Is this something I can do in the middle of the night and have up and running by morning or is this going to require a day or two of downtime and should be planned for the weekend?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by dr00t View Post

I have cPanel, and I know there is a cool tool in WHM to copy files from another server. However, I have been told it will not bring any databases with it.

So I am stuck wondering how the heck I transfer the databases and have them all set up properly?
    All the databases are transfered as well between whm host (if you have root password), I've done this a couple of time without significant problems, why not try one - two account and see how it goes?..

Also, how do I transfer an SSL certificate to the new server?
    If different Server and different IP Address (if you cannot re mount the old IP to the new server after the transfer process finish), then you need to reissue the certificate, depend on your SSL certificate provider, try contact them...

.... how long does all of this take? ...
    It will depends on;

1. Connection between servers, will not be a problem since they are both in the same DC.
    2. The DNS Progation Period(if you have a new set of IP's), will take from 0-48 hours depend on your site user's ISP, in most of my cases the new IP Address will resolved under 3 hrs.
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP

Thank you very much! I was a bit concerned about the databases. I read another way to back up cPanel accounts on here, but the post was written in 2006, so I am a bit weary of the version differences.

How often and what causes WHM account transfers using the built-in tool to fail?

My cases of failed transfer usually concerning network issues - not a WHM/cPanel issues, so I don't think that will happen to you.

While for backup cpanel, you could do this with cpmove in your new WHM, this is more realible (IMO) since before you restore the backup files in new server, check the md5sum first, make sure you have the same file as backup in the old server.

Both methods (I run a newest recent whm/cPanel) will restore the sites almost perfectly, there some minor issues if you have mx pointed to another server, no issues at all with local mx server..
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP