Question Need help choosing a Dedicated Server - N00b :)

Hello there guys,

First of all i would like to let you know that i have no idea of how exactly a Dedicated Server works or how much work i will need to make in order to run it.

Now about my "problem".. I've got some different shared hostings that are way too unreliable and limit me a lot with my sites so i was thinking to change on a dedicated server. I have a total of around 10 sites receiving all together around 20,000-30,000 uniques per month and spending around 300-400GB bandwidth. Would you think moving to a dedicated server would be the right thing to do? I need a reliable host that won't have a lot of downtimes since seriously with these sites time is money :/ Plus on shared hosting you can't mass email all of my 20,000 users..

So i would really appreciate your feedback on this! Like i said i am the n00b around here

Oh my budget is around $70-$100 / month. I was also looking into PacificRack's plan but i don't really know if they worth it Feedback anyone?

Thanks!
    BL

No other option but for you to move to dedicated server because of your requirements.

You also need a manage dedicated server since you are not familiar with server yet.

When choosing a provider, make sure to check on how stable is their network too and have good support.

Good luck!
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    No other option but for you to move to dedicated server because of your requirements.

You also need a manage dedicated server since you are not familiar with server yet.

When choosing a provider, make sure to check on how stable is their network too and have good support.

Good luck!
    Hello there and thank you for your reply!

I also wanted to ask you should i "hunt" some specific requirements for my server or not? Like how much RAM it should have etc.

Plus do you have any suggestions to make on the provider/host?

Thanks,
    BL

I think your budget is a little low - especially if you require the server to be managed. One thing you have to think about is growing room - you may be at this level at the moment, but what happens if you start growing?

If you want little downtime - then you are definately going to have to raise your budget.

As far as specs go, something like the following would be ok, and (generally) give you some growing space (depending on how intensive your sites actually are).

Core2Duo / Xeon
    2Gb RAM
    3 disks RAID 5 (size depends on how much you're using and how much you're going to use)
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

You're going to need a bigger budget. Sense you are new to dedi's, you are going to need to get a management plan and this is going to push you past your budget.

I would recommend you find a host that provides both VPS and dedi's. Start out with the VPS until your budget and needs increase.
    David Infinger - Sago Networks -
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Load Balanced Clusters | 2 World Class Datacenters | Affordable Management
    (866) 366-3640 Extn. 3020
    AIM: SagoDavid | Yahoo: Sago_David | ICQ: 405357708

If you need something in the US I would strongly reccomend TMS-Tailor Made Services. I've not had a server with them for two years but from what's going around they are still going strong, and use nice Internap bandwidth in Colo4Dallas.

Ask if they have any older stock i.e. P4's rather than Core 2 Quads and they should be able to do something sub $100.

I think that you shouldn't forget about other level after shared weh hosting. VPS. I think that it can be used. Anyway deicated might be huge for your 10 sites. I think that first of all you need to convert all your needs in HDD Bandwidth RAM CPU usage etc.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.