big established hosting companies?

hi all

apart from places like pair, dreamhost, verio, what are the other big, established, been-around-for-at-least-a-coupla-years sort of places that offer shared hosting?

cc

can't forget to mention VenturesOnline.com - very reputable

pair.com
    webhosting.com

dellhost.com
    rackshack.net
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

FutureQuest.com, AffordableHost.com, VenturesOnline.com, and Addr.com have been around for a while.

From what I hear FutureQuest provides absolutely amazing customer service, and actually has 100% uptime for many months, but they charge a bit more.

AffordableHost.com is reliable, but nothing special. I have one account hosted with them.

VenturesOnline is a great company offering lots of services, and has been around for a while, they are someone you might want to look into. I am hosted with them too. I believe they are the best value for the money

Addr.com has been around forever. Im not sure about them though, you might want to use the SEARCH function on these forums.

As others have said, Communitech and Interland have been around forever also. I have used DreamHost like many others, they are really one of the fathers of the industry, and still offer a great product (from what I understand).

I know their was a post around here asking people the first host they went with, you might be able to find more hosts there. Good luck on your search

Originally posted by TheMMIz
    FutureQuest.com, AffordableHost.com, VenturesOnline.com, and Addr.com have been around for a while.
    FutureQuest.net is a stable company. They do a fine job over there.

I don't know if you would consider HostRocket big, but they do run 40 virtual servers, and being able to afford 3 PixelBrick sites makes me believe that they are established...

nttverio.com
    above.net ( i think they got bought out)

and then the carriers.. uunet, qwest, etc...

Originally posted by iamdave
    I don't know if you would consider HostRocket big, but they do run 40 virtual servers, and being able to afford 3 PixelBrick sites makes me believe that they are established...
    Last I checked, they hosted Pixelbrick. Maybe that entitles them to a bit of a discount.

but they still have 40 servers....
    www.rackfive.com

Another one to add to the list: http://www.schnell.net

Originally posted by lightnin

Last I checked, they hosted Pixelbrick. Maybe that entitles them to a bit of a discount.
    Just to offer some clarification on a few things we have alot more than 40 servers in our datacenter, however the ones listed on the HR site are our only shared hosting machines.

RackFast does host a server for ceonex.com/pixelbrick.com however we haven't received any discounts as a result of it. The arrangement regarding their hosting was made long after our sites from them were completed... also the size of discount you would get for hosting a companies servers wouldn't really put much of a dent in a site design bill from ceonex.

As for other well established hosts, give pair.com a try, they're one of the big boys who manages to maintain a great reputation in spite of having 140k users.

-Brendan

no kidding, ive contracted for some big design studios ... let me just tell you this.. the hourly maintenance rate is the cost of a server per month. (more than rackshack servers cost)

HR would have to buy those guys at least half a rack full of servers to pay the bill in hosting...

i dont like the design of pair.com, how they got 140k users???

http://pair.com/pair/advantages.html
    www.rackfive.com

they do what they do best, host sites

<edit.. missed "do" >
    Last edited by anantatman; 08-24-2002 at 09:40 PM.

they what they?

my english is not good... and if yours if not good too....

www.rackfive.com

Exclamation

True, Pair doesn't have the greatest site design out there, but it's functional at least.

They've been around for a long time, have a good history, and are known by many for providing excellent service.

Why wouldn't they have around 140k users? They'd have alot more if it weren't for their prices. Most people are out looking for quality, but sometimes a price (and a relatively high one) is associated with it.

www.webhosting.com
    www.superb.net
    www.jumpline.com
    www.aplus.net
    www.earthlink.com
    www. intermedia.net
    www.olm.com
    www.hostway.com
    many, many more

I think you need to define what you call big. A few listed here are not big. Sure they maybe bigger then a the avergae WHT host, but in terms of revenue and customer base, the fall way behind these guys.