Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OnTheSpotHosting & WHOIS Information

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice here.

A year ago I setup a small website using OnTheSpotHosting.net, and I also registered a domain with them for use with the website.

A few days ago, the domain was due to expire. Since the website is no longer needed, I asked OTSH to not renew the domain for me.

I have since seen the domain has been renewed and the NameServers now point to a parking page. This is fine, I don't care, since its not my domain anymore.

However, the WHOIS information for the domain still shows as me (including all my personal information).

So I contact OTHS and ask them to change the WHOIS information. They admit that it was them who renewed the domain, and asked if I wanted them to change the WHOIS details.

A long story short, after then becoming incredibly rude to me and unprofessional, they are now saying that it wasn't them to renewed the domain, and they have no control over it, and that I should contact eNom directly.

Well, I tried that and they told me to contact OTSH. OTSH are saying that the domain is probably on "hold", which I would believe were it not for the fact the domain is showing as its extended for another year and the NameServers have changed.

Below is the conversation I've had with (as near as I can tell, the only person involved in this company):

Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 20 May 2008 02:18 PM
    Hello,

I used to have a domain registered with noctx5 (xxx-x***********), which was registered through onthespothosting.net.

The domain has recently expired, however, I notice that the NameServers have been changed to point to a parking page and as such, I assume it has been renewed by someone.

Please note the WHOIS information for the domain, taken from the eNom WHOIS service, which shows that it was renewed just after it expired from myself:

updated-date: 2008-05-17 20:27:30.000

created-date: 2007-05-16 19:54:03.000

registration-expiration-date: 2009-05-16 19:54:03.000

However, the WHOIS information for the domain still points to me (Daniel Grant).

Since the registrar email (admin@noctx5.net) is the same now as it was when I did own the domain, I assume that you are registrar, or have contact with the registrar. Can I ask that you please change the WHOIS information on the domain to reflect the new owner, and not myself since I am no longer affiliated with the domain in any way.

Look forward to your reply,

Regards,
    Daniel Grant.
    Jonathan Case
    Posted On: 20 May 2008 02:19 PM
    what do you want the whois info to be
    Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 20 May 2008 02:34 PM
    Change it to whoever renewed the domain, I see it's been extended by a year and it wasn't extended by me, the NameServers now also point to a parking page and again, that wasn't done by me.

The control panel login you provided me with also doesn't work anymore, so I can only assume it has been extended by someone else.

Cheers,
    Daniel.
    Jonathan Case
    Posted On: 20 May 2008 02:45 PM
    it was re-registered by us. so youre saying you want me to change the info to only us and not have you associated with it?
    Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 20 May 2008 02:47 PM
    Yes, please do that.

Thanks,
    Daniel.
    Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 07:35 AM
    How much longer before this is done?

Daniel.
    Jonathan Case
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 10:19 AM
    are you honestly kidding me? this is not an urgent issue it will get done by the weekend
    Jonathan Case
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 11:03 AM
    someone else must have registered this domain because it does not show up in our resellers control panel with enom.

most likely its in the "hold" state by enom which is typical now they will hold onto it with the same info for about a month prior to freeing the domain. we did not re-register it as you requested:

Creation date: 16 May 2007 19:54:03
    Expiration date: 16 May 2008 19:54:03

please contact enom if you have any further issues as theres nothing we can do further.
    Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 11:31 AM
    Well when I try and contact eNom, I get told to use the following the information:

Reseller Information Retrieval Tool
    xxxx-x***********
    Organization: noctx5
    Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx, xxxxxxx
    Phone: +xx.xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Fax: +x.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Email: admin@noctx5.net

That's you, isn't it? Also, the eNom WHOIS shows:

nameserver:
    DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM
    DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM

updated-date: 2008-05-17 20:27:30.000

created-date: 2007-05-16 19:54:03.000

registration-expiration-date: 2009-05-16 19:54:03.000

registrar-lock

domain: xxxx-x***********

As you can see, the expiration date has been extended by a year, and you recently just admitted to having extended it yourself by a year...

Cheers,
    Daniel.
    Jonathan Case
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 11:34 AM
    great and as i stated its not in our reseller control panel so what do you suggest we do?
    Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 11:37 AM
    How should I know? Since your listed as the reseller for the domain, then why don't you contact eNom, since all I will get told to do is contact you again...
    Jonathan Case
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 11:43 AM
    awesome!

why is this such a big issue? I really would like to know.
    Daniel Grant
    Posted On: 21 May 2008 11:47 AM
    It's an issue because I don't like my personal information (name, address, phone number, email address) being listed on a domain which I have absolutely no affiliation with or control over...
    Now I don't know how others feel about having their name, home address, phone number and email address available on a WHOIS regarding a domain that they have no affiliation with or control over, but I certainly don't like it.

Moreover, I find OTSH's attitude towards the whole thing absolutely disgusting, seeing as they at first admitted they re-registered the domain and now they are saying they didn't...

Any idea's on who I can contact about this? I have tried eNom, and they just refer me back to OTSH...

Cheers,
    Daniel.

Is not many clear... i asdsume is the redemption period thing, and in some months vanish for itself. This pass sometimes to me when one of my customers of host choose dont renew the domain, the parking is automatic and temporal, the registrar can vary the days , but is safe assume in three months will be gone.
    Each registrar is a tool. Not all Tools are for the same thing

I've had domains before that have been put on hold for about a month or so after they expire, that's fine. But during this time, the NameServer's have never changed and it's never been shown as extended by a year either...

Which is why I can only guess it has been re-registered by someone, and the fact that OTSH said they did renew it, and now they are saying they didn't, is somewhat concerning...

quit fighting it and claim the domain.
    AHFBWEB Less customers per server, more power for you!

Business Class Shared Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by AHFB HTML View Post
    quit fighting it and claim the domain.
    What are you talking about?

I don't want the domain, OTSH have re-registered the domain and frankly, I don't care. What I want them to do is change the WHOIS details so it doesn't show my personal information anymore, since it's no longer my domain...

DannyG , the beahavior your say, is similar at the DIrect / Reseller club registrars, many using logicbox software do that.

I see very far the option of the reseller renew your domain, without changing the nameservers. If the nameservers was changed look ( to me at least ) as an expire domain only.
    Each registrar is a tool. Not all Tools are for the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Licantropo View Post
    DannyG , the beahavior your say, is similar at the DIrect / Reseller club registrars, many using logicbox software do that.

I see very far the option of the reseller renew your domain, without changing the nameservers. If the nameservers was changed look ( to me at least ) as an expire domain only.
    I don't really understand what your getting at, at all...

I'm not sure what your domain is, but if it shows that its been extended a year, then it isn't in any other status than normal. The name servers I suppose are OTSH? Well really, you are the contact for the domain regardless. I'd call up eNom again and explain the situation. You should be able to gain authority for the domain and possibly kill its record.

Also, after those tickets that you pasted, I don't think I'll ever go anywhere near OTSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    What are you talking about?

I don't want the domain, OTSH have re-registered the domain and frankly, I don't care. What I want them to do is change the WHOIS details so it doesn't show my personal information anymore, since it's no longer my domain...
    If the whois info shows you as the owner, then you can claim the domain, meaning enom should release login information to you, or at least move the domain into its own account and give you access. Then you can change the whois to something generic and allow it to expire again.

Whoever renewed it loses their money, and you get your wish regarding the domain as well. It's not the simplest process (might take a couple phone calls and faxes), but you could get access within a few hours which sound better than fighting over it.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Happen to me once, also with enom, still using my credential in whois info. I don't really care back then, I want to know how this ended.. (Have you tried to contact enom directly? ;p just a thought)
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    If the whois info shows you as the owner, then you can claim the domain, meaning enom should release login information to you, or at least move the domain into its own account and give you access. Then you can change the whois to something generic and allow it to expire again.

Whoever renewed it loses their money, and you get your wish regarding the domain as well. It's not the simplest process (might take a couple phone calls and faxes), but you could get access within a few hours which sound better than fighting over it.
    Cheers, I'll try this.

In all fairness, I don't even want the domain, I just don't want my personal information all over a WHOIS for a domain that I don't have any affiliation with.

If I have not got it wrong, your domain expired on May 16, 2008, which was just a few days ago. No, your domain will usually NOT be deleted right away, and therefore your contact info still showing; this is a standard practice of almost EVERY registrar. You may want to wait for at least another 60 days (incl. 0 - 45 days of registrar's own grace period, plus 30 days of ICANN-endorsed, registry level's Redemption Grace Period); and very likely by then, your whois info will already be gone.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    If I have not got it wrong, your domain expired on May 16, 2008, which was just a few days ago. No, your domain will usually NOT be deleted right away, and therefore your contact info still showing; this is a standard practice of almost EVERY registrar. You may want to wait for at least another 60 days (incl. 0 - 45 days of registrar's own grace period, plus 30 days of ICANN-endorsed, registry level's Redemption Grace Period); and very likely by then, your whois info will already be gone.
    Like I said, this is not the first domain that I have had which has expired. The NameServer's have changed, which has never happened before, and OTSH have admitted they re-registered the domain themselves, not to mention the fact that the WHOIS shows the domain has been extended by a year.

I'm currently in communication with eNom and ModernDNS to get this resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    The NameServer's have changed, which has never happened before, and OTSH have admitted they re-registered the domain themselves, not to mention the fact that the WHOIS shows the domain has been extended by a year.
    First off, almost EVERY registrar *technically* renews expired domains upon expiry (that is why the whois shows a new expiration date a year from now), because they can get a refund in 45 days from the registry.

In many (if not most) cases, nameservers will be changed, which is a discretion at the registrar level. And in these days, they are, guess what, directed to parking pages of course. Sometimes, it could be immediate (on the very day of expiry); other times, it may be days, or weeks later. But they will CERTAINLY be changed during the registry's RGP.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    First off, almost EVERY registrar *technically* renews expired domains upon expiry (that is why the whois shows a new expiration date a year from now), because they can get a refund in 45 days from the registry.
    That might be true, I don't care. The issue I'm having, if you bothered to read my original post, is that now OTSH have gone from claiming to have renewed the domain (which, like I said, I don't care if they do) to claiming they didn't renew the domain and as such they won't/can't change the WHOIS details.

So one of two scenarios is going on:

1. OTSH are telling the truth, they don't know who has renewed the domain and they don't have access to it. In which case, I am in contact with eNom to get the WHOIS details changed to the new owner.
    2. OTSH are lying, they did renew the domain and they still do have access to it, and they are (for whatever obscure and most likely, pointless reason) are refusing to change the WHOIS information. In which case, I am in contact with eNom to get the WHOIS details changed to the new owner.

So please read what I'm writing and get down off your high horse. I don't care who owns the domain, all I care about is the fact that it isn't me and yet my name, home address, phone number and email is pasted all over the WHOIS.

Why is this a big deal? Simple: the new owner could start spamming or whatever with it, and then guess who has to deal with the aftermath...

To conclude: stop quoting me "standard procedure" and "it's probably on hold by your registrar". If that was the case, there is no issue. What is concerning me is that OTSH claim to have no control over the domain, they claum it's been renewed by someone else who is opting to use my personal information on the WHOIS. THAT IS WHAT CONCERNS ME!

That is why I opened the thread, to seek advice on what could be done about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast