How many servers needed for a php/mysql site with 1million page views a day

Hi,

I'm working on a business plan for a website which will be built in php/mysql and full dynamic content with fulltext search. The website will be like alibaba.com for business offers matching.

For estimation purpose, how many servers do we need if we have 1 million page views a day on the site with 150 table database, 2 million members and 500,000 offers with full text enabled. approxmiate database size is 8 GB

any benchmarks that can help me roughly estimate how many dedicated webservers, mysql servers i will need ?

I'm proposing like 2 webservers with load balancer, 40 mysql servers setup with replication.

is this low or very high? any one can share their current servers stats with website total page views if near million.

Thanks alot.

Note: i don;t know if this is the right forumto ask this type of questoin. please suggest me the right place if it's not a correct forum.

well 2 webservers might be a little low and you shold get your own dedicated load balancer so there is room for expantion if needed. 40 mysql servers seems a bit high, I would start off at 5 and try to get it all setup on GB ports with either 10 or 15k drives and have iscsi installed. That will be the big time
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

You may want to look at a three tier setup using FastCGI php rather than mod_php. I.e. Front-end web servers (which you would only need 2) hand off CGI processing to a pool of PHP fast cgi servers which in turn connect to mysql servers.

For the front end you could use apache or a lightweight solution like lighttpd/nginx and you would not need more than 2 servers for that sort of load as they are effectively only serving static files - the php processing CPU load is taken up by the application servers.

40 mysql servers seems very high for this database. Given the sizes you provide, I can only conclude the full text search is slowing it down. You may want to consider looking at sphinx search to speed that up.

My recommendation:

OPTION 1 : Standard Blade Server

(1) Web Server Load Balancer
    (3 Maybe more) Web Servers, running apache, php, email, ftp
    (1) MySQL Server

MYSQL SERVER:

You might need to tweak this a bit, but honestly if you get a top of line server with 16GB of ram 2x Quad Core Xeon processors, and RAID 5 or 10 running 15,000 SAS drives, 1 Database server should be able to handle that kind of load.

OPTION 2: Run All Servers On Amazon ec2 or something similar like Mosso: http://www.mosso.com/
    Last edited by JustinK101; 05-21-2008 at 08:02 PM.

For the PHP part you could look to the statistics off nl.php.net (nl.php.net/stats). This system is running on 128mb ram, 7200rpm harddiscs and not really using the CPU. For an example off good coded work.

I would go for:
    2 havy servers doing (can combine both jobs!):
    - load balancing
    - web server
    1 havy server standby for the thinks above (fallback/peaks).
    1 havy server for the database (16GB RAM/raid10/15k rpm)

Is there any place where i can find the actual status of .com websites with their infrastructure and traffic. e.g.

The system administrator of xuqa.com ( a php/mysql based community website) told us that they are getting 1.5 million page views a day and is controlling this load with 75 servers.

Any other live examples of other running .com businesses.

75 Servers for 1.5 million page views a day seems extreme doesn't it? Maybe not though. Seems you might want to enlist some further help and advice on this project if it inst clear to you how and how much to scale for the client.

There are a few options now a days though:

1.) Buy standard Hardware rack space and set everything up yourself. (Traditional Approach)

2.) Buy hardware but virtualize using blade servers and vmware to better utilize resources.

3.) Use a cloud computing provider, Amazon cs2, 3tera.

With hardware advances today it should take a lot less hardware than you may think.

It really depends on how efficient your setup is. If done right, the answer could be 1 server. A million page views a day is only 12 page views per second (or more realistically, probably about 20/second during peak hours and less otherwise).
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

streamservice,

This might seem like a stupid question but I was looking at nl.php.net/stats and I wanted to know what the difference between 'pages' and 'hits' were?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_hammertime View Post
    ... I wanted to know what the difference between 'pages' and 'hits' were?....
    Pasted from awstats documentation;

Pages:
    The number of "pages" logged. Only files that don't match an entry in the NotPageList config parameter (and match an entry of OnlyFiles config parameter if used) are counted as "Pages". Usually pages are reserved for HTML files or CGI files, not images nor other files requested as a result of loading a "Page" (like js,css... files).
    Hits:
    Any files requested from the server (including files that are "Pages") except those that match the SkipFiles config parameter.
    Magnet Hosting | Layanan Hosting dan Server Indonesia
    http://www.magnet-id.com Indonesian Data Center, Peering with IIX and openIXP

75 servers would be a clear overkill. You should set-up your site and think about caching; optimize services so that it better uses server hardware resources. 1 million of hits daily is usually nothing for today's servers.