Heavy Spamming -How to avoid?

For past one week, my wordpress based blog is just dead, becasue of heavy trackback/pingback spamming(500 a minute). I've tried various plugins, but to no avail.

In addition to stop spammers before generating PHP load, I've tried all possible HTACCESS rules, but to no avail. I truly sure, I've done something wrong.

May I request the experts here to advice on how to stop this ongoing spamming?

Thanks in advance.

Are you using Akismet? Also, unless you really need trackbacks, you can disable them.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

is your mail server enabled with php headers. If yes, its easy to find the source script and disable it .

I would also suggest checking all your additional modules to make sure they are updated to date

Sounds like a mild DOS attack via HTTP.

Do your or your host have any security measures in place, mod_security for example?

Hi,

cristibighea, I'm using Akismet & WP-SpamFree, both are preventing spams to reach my db, but the spammers are continously draining all available server resources. I want the preventions via HTACCESS, because I don't have Apache access.

daejuanj, my blog is currently hosted with DreamHost. I've enable thier extra web security, and in addition I've tried all mod_seurity rules, referrer blocking etc. available on Spamhuntress blog spamhuntress.com to block trackback/pinback spamming, but nothing is working.

I've disable trackback, but the attacks are continously going on.

Any suggestion to solve this part of problem? Please advice.