Help proliferate accurate bandwidth information, edit and promote this wiki article

This is more of a call to providers rather than end-users, but anyone who is knowledge on the specifics of how GB's convert to Mbps is welcome to edit this wiki article.
    There seems to be a great deal of misinformation on exactly how many GB are capable of being generated out of 1Mbps of bandwidth with typical traffic patterns.

In order for end-users to understand just how much bandwidth they are actually accountable for when they speak about 10,000GB, we should start promoting this page where needed to ensure the learning of the masses.
    The link to the wiki page should be used liberally and on forums that aren't WHT too!

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/H...s_1_Mbps_Equal

I've already started it off, but I'm sure theres a lot more detail and examples that can be given to help educate.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

That looks pretty decent. What you are paying for (most of the time) is the capacity, not the usage. While you could likely get away with say a 1mbps connection on a large site according to maximum bandwidth, you would likely go dog slow during peak hours. At least that is how I read it.

Maybe add in a section to help users find out what their bandwidth needs will be based on GB usage/month?

How do you change the title? I'd suggest it be:

How many GB transfer does 1Mbps equal?

It looks good.

We've added a bit more to it, but I'm not a techie, so I'm counting on you guys for those details.

Each week, a WHTwiki article is the Article of the Week and is featured on the wiki home page. We name a new Article of the Week each Wednesday, and this one looks good to be this week's Article of the Week. Any more additions to the article are welcome, both before and after it's named Article of the Week.

What are your thoughts on the article title? It's currently How many GB does 1 Mbps equal, but I'm wondering if "How GBs convert to Mbps" would work better.

Thanks,
    Lois
    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Hi!

This article looks nice and I like it. Like vibrokatana said, many users don't understand what all goes into bandwidth. The know how much they use on a monthly average, but they forget that you have spikes of usage on certain days or certain times. So because of that, many hosts have to commit to larger internet pipes to handle the spikes and while it's probably not entirely used, it still adds a cost to the Host. While the host could save money by downsizing the pipe, it would also make the site load slow if the site has a spike in usage.

The article does not take in to account that 1 mbps full duplex is actually 320 gigabyte in and 320 gigabyte out (that is why it is full duplex) so i adapted it accordingly.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 05-21-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    The article does not take in to account that 1 mbps full duplex is actually 320 gigabyte in and 320 gigabyte out (that is why it is full duplex)
    Thanks for pointing that out. Could you update the article to take that into account? Accurate is good.

Thanks,
    Lois

I updated the article accordingly!
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    I updated the article accordingly!
    Thanks!

The article is now the Article of the Week, but anyone can still make changes to it.

Lois