Trying to choose between slicehost and linode

Hi all,

I am looking for a <= $20 VPS solution for my firs try at VPS. After reading some reviews here and in other places I have narrowed it down to Slicehost and Linode. I plan to use the VPS mainly for personal projects - subversion/git, perl/python/php and maybe a bit of RoR. Nothing big scale but I need complete control over the installation for messing with things

Slicehost's 256 slice gives 256MB RAM, 10GB disk, 100GB BW for $20 while Linode's 360 gives 360 MB RAM, 10 GB disk and 200 GB bw per month for $19.95. Linode seems to offer more bang for buck. Also importantly, their next offer for Linode 540 seems to provide a better upgrade choice than Slicehost's 512 slice.

Considering all this, I am leaning towards Linode. Any feedback on either of these two VPS providers?
      0 Not allowed!

I can only give you a completely biased opinion as I have never used Linode :-)

Slicehost have been really good for the 5 months that I've been using them. Lightly loaded Xen nodes with great uptime.

The guys over there are also extremely knowledgeable.

Matt
    SysAdminMan - Asterisk PBX hosting - FreePBX, A2Billing and Elastix
      0 Not allowed!

I've used SliceHost on and off since they first setup shop, and I have also used Linode for a period of time.

SliceHost have a very nice, easy to use (in-house developed) control panel. It's simple and everything is where it should be, the VPS' perform great and the support is sharp.

Linode offer more RAM and double the bandwidth when compared to SliceHost, their (in-house developed) control panel is totally feature packed, although a bit more complicated to get used to. I've never really had to use their support, but again it was sharp and quick when I did.

Both control panels allow you to do restores, reboots (hard and soft), recovery terminal, bandwidth and CPU graphs and so on.

SliceHost only offer 1 location, Linode offer 3.

They both use Xen (Linode recently moved away from UML).

They both have live chat (Linode has IRC, SliceHost have IRC and Campfire). They both have active forums.

All in all, they are both great companies, but Linode offer more for your money, and thus is the one I would choose.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd say with your price-range it comes down to location They're both great providers imo.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with ctaborda. SliceHost and Linode are both highly reputable, and I think you'll be satisfied with either of them.
      0 Not allowed!

Personally I feel that the Linode offering is a just a little more mature, they have been around for a long time

I found some of the extra features that Linode offer just tip things in their favour.
      0 Not allowed!

Based on the reps here I agree they are both fine hosts. With something this close I would contact them with questions and hang out in their forums maybe that will help you decide.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ctaborda View Post
    I'd say with your price-range it comes down to location They're both great providers imo.
    Well, that is kind of a neutral issue for me since
    - I don't see a big user base for my current slice (personal dumping ground)
    - I am located in Europe.

The last point brings me to another option - cheapvps.co.uk They seem to be cheaper than SH and Linode but haven't read that many glowing reviews. Case of "get whay you pay for"?

Thanks for all the comments so far guys!
      0 Not allowed!

I've used SliceHost for a short while, never used Linode.

My short experience with Slicehost has been nothing than exceptional. They have a great knowledge base, active forum, my slice seemed fast enough. The guys are fast in their responses and know their job. When I decided to cancel my account (reason: I found out that 256 was not enough for me and I cannot afford the 512 plan at this time) they acted professionally and refunded me as per their TOS without much hussle.

I was very satisfied with Slicehost and I would certainly choose them again. But its true that Linode offers more value. I would probably have gone with Linode, had I noticed their 360 RAM offer earlier...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mukham View Post
    Well, that is kind of a neutral issue for me since
    - I don't see a big user base for my current slice (personal dumping ground)
    - I am located in Europe.

The last point brings me to another option - cheapvps.co.uk They seem to be cheaper than SH and Linode but haven't read that many glowing reviews. Case of "get whay you pay for"?

Thanks for all the comments so far guys!
    CheapVPS use the HyperVM control panel, which personally I find to be an absolute nightmare. Also, at least when I was with them, their support was awful.

From personal experience, if your in Europe, go for Linode's Atlanta DC, you'll get much better speeds than SH.
      0 Not allowed!

hi guys..

if i'm bulding a web2.0 website and my requirements is java/javascript, does slicehost works for me? Any advice and suggestions? Thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

Gone..

Just when I had finally decided on Linode, it looks like all plans are taken up and the next availability is 05-28
      0 Not allowed!

I think for your requirements, just about any reputable VPS host would be good for you.

Also, I don't think Xen is necessary (at least from what you've listed in this thread). Xen is essential if you need a custom Linux Kernel.

So you might consider OpenVZ/Virtuozzo based providers as they may also fit your needs.
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

Just when I had finally decided on Linode, it looks like all plans are taken up and the next availability is 05-28
    Often they have services available before the expected date.

Drop the guys an email and see if they can let you know ASAP when a VPS becomes available.
      0 Not allowed!

Linode is a great choice!
    Andrew Nemeth - Steady Communications LLC.
    Linux/Windows VPS Hosting, Web Design
    West Coast Datacenter - Los Angeles, California
      0 Not allowed!

The expected dates are just estimates, I was ready to wait for two weeks for a Linode VPS, but they came back into stock the next day, so just keep checking back.

Keep in mind you have to pay for your first 3 months in advance with SliceHost, so its $60 up front for their cheapest plan.
      0 Not allowed!

That's a really good indicator that they will not overload their servers. Worth the wait.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for all the help guys. I signed up for the Linode 360 plan at the Atlanta data center as soon as the first slot opened up, which was just couple of hours after I wrote the earlier post.

So far, it has been smooth sailing. Have setup DNS, outsourced email to Google App (for now), set up apache, fail2ban, some dev env etc. Will provide a better review in a couple of months when I have stress-tested it
      0 Not allowed!

Congrats, might see you on the Linode forums.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for all the help guys. I signed up for the Linode 360 plan at the Atlanta data center as soon as the first slot opened up, which was just couple of hours after I wrote the earlier post.

So far, it has been smooth sailing. Have setup DNS, outsourced email to Google App (for now), set up apache, fail2ban, some dev env etc. Will provide a better review in a couple of months when I have stress-tested it
    Have a good look through their Control Panel, it may seem a bit much at first buts its great. Check out Lassie, one of the great Linode features.

All this talk of Linode is making me wanna signup for a messaround VPS with them
      0 Not allowed!

I have had linode for a while. They are great. I expect slice is good too (I haven't tried them). Location might be your key. I think slice is in Mo. Linode has three data centers (Ca, Tx, and Ga) and will let you choose any (if space is available). Linode has 15 distros install and a great panel to install/reboot, etc. An install takes about 2 or 3 minutes.
      0 Not allowed!

Good to see!

You may open a new thread if you decide to post a review.

Good luck!
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001
      0 Not allowed!