Question VPS for OSCommerce 360,000 Catalog (Setup/Provider)

Hi Guys:

I need to sign up for a Linux based VPS (I guess I prefer XEN) to host an OS Commerce (OSC) store with 360,000 items in the catalog. I will host my pictures elsewhere, so my main concern is performance in regards to database (which is MySQL) performance when people browse and especially search the catalog.

I think I need hence a VPS with at least 1024MB dedicated RAM, a good CPU share, but only very little storage space (again, the server will basically only contain the database and the necessary OSC PHP files, nothing else)

a) Does anybody have experience with hosting what is essentially a DB server on a VPS and can give me some setup hits regarding memory allocation, server resource allocation, PHP configuration, Apache configuration etc. when using a VPS for this purpose?

b) Does anybody know about a provider which offers a relatively high memory allocation (at least 1024MB, burstable to double that) for a price of not more than US$50.00 / month?

Well, I would like to have a couple of other things, but they are not THAT important, just to mention them:
    - cPanel/WHM included,
    - four (4) or more IPs included

Thanks for all your input, I sure appreciate your comments and hints!

Cole

With the RAM requirements alone, you're going to be hard pressed to find a stable provider that doesn't oversell their resources, especially if you're factoring cPanel/WHM into this equation.

I think you'll need to substantially increase your budget.

Also, make sure that whatever you go with, it's utilizing a 64 bit operating system, running on 64 bit hardware, and make sure you optimize the HECK out of MySQL.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

1024 MB for $50/month isn't going to happen especially not including cPanel. I would recommend a dedicated and with $50 that isn't happening either.

Question

Douglas: Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I think you'll need to substantially increase your budget.
    Do you think a US$80 budget would get me somewhere? Any provider suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Also, make sure that whatever you go with, it's utilizing a 64 bit operating system, running on 64 bit hardware, and make sure you optimize the HECK out of MySQL.
    Any tips who offers a 64-bit OS and also, any specific MySQL optimization tips?

Question Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by IllustriousCube View Post
    1024 MB for $50/month isn't going to happen especially not including cPanel.
    Hmmm, well, as mentioned in my original post cPanel/WHM is not required, would just be nice.

- Do you have any (provider) suggestions if I raise my monthly budget up to US$80 and/or forget about the cPanel?

Quote Originally Posted by IllustriousCube View Post
    I would recommend a dedicated and with $50 that isn't happening either.
    Yeah, I know... dedicated not ideal for me anyway, I don't like the support (or lack thereof) they usually get.

You can find it if you look. Check the VPS offers forum.

VPSfarm has a Xen package w/ 1024 MB RAM for $40/month.

XPLhost has an OpenVZ special running w/ 1024 MB + DirectAdmin for $26/mo.

VPSLink offers Xen or OpenVZ 1024 MB RAM for 31/mo if you pre-pay for two years.

If you go with Xen you will not have burstable RAM.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

twva: Thanks, I checked those out

Quote Originally Posted by twva View Post
    VPSfarm has a Xen package w/ 1024 MB RAM for $40/month.
    They seem, based on their website, very, eh, basic... no mention of any user panel etc. - Has anybody experience with them?

XPLhost has an OpenVZ special running w/ 1024 MB + DirectAdmin for $26/mo.
    They don't give an address in the United States on their website, makes me a litte anxious... Any experience on this company?

VPSLink offers Xen or OpenVZ 1024 MB RAM for 31/mo if you pre-pay for two years.
    Great offer, but my client pays monthly and this would be somewhat of a risk for me in case they leave me in four months... I like the provider though, any experience?

I had a vps w/ vpsfarm for a few months. It was excellent -- no downtime, felt snappy, ping times outstanding to my location. I only gave it up because I didn't need it any longer, but I would and will gladly sign up with them again if I need another vps. They don't offer a control panel, but I didn't want one.

No experience with XPLHost or VPSLink. You can try searching WHT for their usernames or site names to find reviews.

There may be other high RAM offers in the VPS offers forum. Those are just a few I've noticed.

If you're particularly interested in Xen the site vpschoice.com is handy. Unfortunately, it's currently down.

The problem is the size of your DB. I don't think it will be so stable on a VPS (I'm sure a provider or someone with knowledge can chime in on this). You're really better off going for a dedicated. You can get a dedicated for under $100/month and get a 3rd party to manage it.

I don't think he gave the size of his DB. Just the amount of products.

But while on that area, what is the size of your DB?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    I don't think he gave the size of his DB. Just the amount of products.

But while on that area, what is the size of your DB?
    The DB is 360,000 times average 2Kb each, makes it approx. 700MB

Quote Originally Posted by ColeColby View Post
    Douglas: Thanks for the input. Do you think a US$80 budget would get me somewhere? Any provider suggestions?
    I aim to please. Yes, I think you'll have a better chance with that budget than you would with a $50 budget. Just make sure you do your homework.

Any tips who offers a 64-bit OS and also, any specific MySQL optimization tips?
    The hardware and OS bit question should be asked of any hosting provider that you are potentially interested in.

There's a few tutorials on here and on Google. Also, on any VPS that has a good install of MySQL will always include a my-large.cnf file somewhere, which has most of the basic settings for a MySQL configuration file that is geared (but not completely tweaked) for a system with a decent amount of RAM.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

twva: Thanks, I checked those out

They seem, based on their website, very, eh, basic... no mention of any user panel etc. - Has anybody experience with them?

They don't give an address in the United States on their website, makes me a litte anxious... Any experience on this company?

Great offer, but my client pays monthly and this would be somewhat of a risk for me in case they leave me in four months... I like the provider though, any experience?
    Hello, I am sorry, we are located in Jamestown, New York, however our datacenter is located in Dallas Texas.