Thread: Joomla VPS host

Joomla VPS host

Hi,

I have a joomla site running on a new unmanaged VPS at FutureHosting.biz and it is performing very poorly.

I am not a server admin but i copy the same CMS and database to a shared account i have access to and the site runs much faster. That shared account happens to be a SiteGround server which if possible, i would like to stay away from.

I have had bad experience with SG so i am contemplating, MidPhase, as an option for VPS support.

I was also considering LunarPages and HostGator but their recent datacenter problems and poor reviews i want to stay away from them as well.

I really want to find a quality host who has experience managing large joomla based sites. Any recommendations.

What are your VPS specs ?

What are the stats of your site?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

The test site is at http://72.44.80.70.

the performance is very slow and their is zero traffic so i am leaning towards a mysql or PHP optimization problems.

384 MB RAM< only 90MB used
    20GB of storage.

i would like a VPS for under $75/month but performance is more important than price.

I recommend http://www.gbservers.co.uk/ if you live in the UK or are not bothered by pings.

If you live in the USA - im not sure most VPS servers are based in the us

Maybe if you are using it for webhosting you buy from a webhosting company as your website would be placed on a very powerfull server

This will be better discussed at the VPS Forum. Moved.

the client would prefer a host in the US...

Quote Originally Posted by smkjr View Post
    Hi,

I have a joomla site running on a new unmanaged VPS at FutureHosting.biz and it is performing very poorly.

I am not a server admin but i copy the same CMS and database to a shared account i have access to and the site runs much faster. That shared account happens to be a SiteGround server which if possible, i would like to stay away from.

I have had bad experience with SG so i am contemplating, MidPhase, as an option for VPS support.

I was also considering LunarPages and HostGator but their recent datacenter problems and poor reviews i want to stay away from them as well.

I really want to find a quality host who has experience managing large joomla based sites. Any recommendations.
    I just wanted to stop by and clarify this. I've reviewed the support tickets you had open and the notes on the ticket show a few things. First, the VPS is unmanaged, so everything that was completed for the client has been done without charge. Second, the client is running on a node with dual/quad core (8 cores) Harpertown processors, 16GB ram and 11 VEs currently. The 15 minute load on the node is under 0.5 and the customers VPS 0.00 (each of the notes on the tickets show the same load levels) along with plenty of free ram at the node level.

As it is unmanaged and you need more of a managed solution, I would suggest seeking a managed package from a company which can also help you with your applications as we do not provide managed support for applications, but rather for everything installed on the VPS upon delivery.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

As your host says, it might be a better idea to move on, i would suggest you go either for a managed VPS or why not a Semi-Dedicated solutions (which would fit in your budget too). This would take away the hassle of managing the technical part of it.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

With Joomla 1.5 they have some additional caching options that can speed up your site delivery.

As for a VPS solution, 384 MB RAM should be plenty for a Joomla site with no traffic. Have you checked your CPU usage and RAM usage on the VPS?

If you're running a control panel like cPanel, you may consider dropping it and using something lighter on your VPS.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

www.speedhosting.in with litespeed webserver .

15 joomla websites running successfully ..
    Website Designing : www.itsy.in
    Hosting : www.speedhosting.in
    Call me Mumbai, India : +91 9819 88 0101 / 022 4015 4015

Check out: http://www.rochenhost.com/
    We haven't tried them yet.

For our Joomla sites, we are happy with ServInt VPS, as we know how to set up Joomla sites, and their NOC is quick enough to install/update other needed software, giving us the helping hand as and when needed.