* Nightmare with Layeredtech

Hi,

I have been having server with them for last 3 years or so. Now I have a lot of data and client's sites on the server. But it seems that LT has no respect of it and of my time at all.

Few days back I got an email from LT saying that my server needs to be migrated for data center space and stuff. I answered quickly and asked them when ? There was no response for 2 days or so.

After opening another ticket for same issue they replied that I should tell them time / date for migration. I planned accordingly and scheduled the time and date and posted the ticket appropirately, informed all my clients and announced on website. The fixed day passed and no response from LT. Upon opening another ticket about it they say: They will tell me time / date.

Anyways I informed again all my customers etc. and now i have to cancel all my trips etc. becuase I don't know when suddenly will LT wake up for server migration. I mean if you have to do it then do it, why delay or atleast give a fixed date so I can manage my schedule accordingly ?

I am not able to go anywhere, not able to inform. Its like a nighmare. LT is not responding to ticket about the migration and Kent is saying: "Please give time / date of migration" where as Cathy says: "We'll tell you when your server is going to be migrated" lol there's no fixed statment and everyone is singing their own song.

I don't know if LT will read this or not but if they do I have fear that they might do bad things like "Oh we were migrating your server and hard drive died."

Lets see what happens.

Thanks.

Here's some small preview of tickets:

The original Server migration ticket opened by LT:
    Wed May 14 2008 - Layered Technologies: We are in the process of consolidating datacenter space for better efficiency in power, cooling and space. To complete this task your server must be migrated to a new location within our datacenter.
    What we require from you are the following:
    Server Logins:
    SSH or RDP port:
    Date and time for migration:

Wed, Thus - I asked them all sorts of questions regarding migration etc.

Fri May 16 2008 - Me: Okay. Please use the following details:
    Server Logins:
    Username: fake-username (Changed for security reasons)
    Password: fake-password (Changed for security reasons)
    SSH or RDP port: 123456 (Changed for security reasons)
    Date and time for migration:
    Time / Date remove for security.

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: Please confirm that you're going to do the migration at the appropirate time.

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: Also what if I don't wanna migrate ?

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: I DO NOT WISH TO MIGRATE. Please CLOSE this ticket.

Sat May 17 2008 - Kent: This is a required migration. Please provide a time and date in which we can proceed.

Sun May 18 2008 - Me: I already provided a time and date but nothing was done. Cathy told me that you will tell me 72 hours prior of the migration. Please do that so the downtime is as less as possible.

========================================================================================================
    Another ticket which I opened when no one was responding - on Sat May 17 2008:

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: Why no one is responding to ticket LPW-123456789.

Sat May 17 2008 - Cathy McAteer: We will have a member of our support staff update you momentarily. Please standby for their response; thank you for your patience. This ticket will now be closed; LPW-123456789 will be remain open and updated.

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: What if i don't wanna migrate ?

Cathy McAteer: That is acceptable. Are you stating you would not like to migrate, now?

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: Yes I DO NOT want to migrate.

Sat May 17 2008 - Cathy McAteer: Actually, after another review of your server location, that is not an option; your server will be migrated. Currently, there is not a scheduled move time, but you will be notified approximately 72 hours in advance of the move.

Sat May 17 2008 - Me: I am worried about the migration. I have few questions:
    1. The date/time is fixed by you or by me ?
    2. Will my all sites be visible after the migration is complete ?
    3. What steps I have to take in order to minimize the downtime ?

Sat May 17 2008 - A.Quinones: 1. The Time will be chosen by us but you will be given another notice 72 hours prior
    2. We will change the ip configuration on the server, but you will need to make changes to DNS and any other configurations that have the IP of this server hard-coded in.
    3. The actual down time should be no longer than 15 min.

Tue May 20 2008 - I need update of this. When you are going to migrate the server ? You say that you guys will tell me when you will move the server whereas Kent in ticket LPW-12345679 is asking me time and date.
    What is going on ? Due to this I have to cancel my trip becuase I don't know when you guys will do and I cannot schedule anything.
    It seems that only your time is important rest all of us have spare time for you guys. Give me a exact date and time for this ASAP.

Tue May 20 2008 - Jason Johnson - We are willing to work with you on the date and time that your server will be migrated. Please update ticket LPW-69627-576 with a date and time that is convenient for you.

Tue May 20 2008 - Kevin Konyha - I have requested an update for you on ticket LPW-123456789. Someone from migrations will assist you as soon as they are available. We will be closing this ticket at this time.

Tue May 20 2008 - Me: I supplied a time and date but nothing happened. What's the guarantee that it won't be ignored again ????

Tue May 20 2008 - Jason Johnson: Your reply will not be ignored, you will get a update in OZL-12345679. The queue that your ticket is in is no monitored 24/7. I assure you someone will respond to OZL-123456798 to confirm the date and time you supplied.

=== end of tickets ===

LOL as you can see this is a perfect example of not having coordination anywhere. Nobody is having any type of coordination with each other.

It sounds like for the first few tickets you were really pounding them unnecessarily hard for information. And, no offense, but you really came across as stubborn when you told them that you didn't want to move.

You should take a few steps back and realize that they're shifting around an entire datacenter, and that's not exactly the easiest thing to do. Unracking and moving servers is a very tedious process, not to mention rewiring every rack once it's in its new location. And even if they just left everything racked up and just unplugged the power and ethernet, it would still take alot of manpower to move those huge racks.

Also, I doubt that they knew exactly how long it would take - they most likely had hundreds of other servers to move before they could get to yours, so they really couldn't give you a solid time and date for the migration. The best they could do (and anyone in this scenario) was give you ballpark estimates.

At least your provider told you that they were moving servers. About two years ago all of my websites and servers were down without notice, my host wasn't answering the phone, and it took a few frantic calls to Hurricane Electric to discover that my host, their colocation client, had moved all of his servers down the street to their other facility. New IPs and everything.

I'd say that taking the time to acknowledge your numerous tickets was damn good service on their part.

EDIT: Additionally, since it's a dedicated server, it's their hardware. All you're doing is paying for unrestricted access to it.
    Last edited by danclough; 05-20-2008 at 05:04 AM.

I agree with the OP.

It happened to us too.

We gave the date and time, and they missed it. They asked us to give the date and time again, and we provided it then they missed it again... what a yoyo!

If they can't accomplish it on specific date, then why bother ask for the date again and again? considering a pain for our client to move... Oh man!
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Do you know how many servers they are attempting to migrate at one time? Over the years their has been a few occasions where we have had to migrate servers from one area of the data center to another for pdu maintenance or ac repair etc... Many years ago when this first instance came up we would attempt to move a lot of servers in just a few hours. We have learned over the years that you are much better off just moving 10 or 20 each night for however many nights gets them all moved. Things go much smoother, less stress, less downtime and it ends up saving you time in the long run. If a problem comes up with a server you only have 1 server down and its easy to resolve rather than having a whole cabinet down and scrambling to fix problems AND get the others online. I am sure LT is trying to get things more efficient as quickly as possible but they would be wise to move their deadline a few weeks back and lower the # of the servers they move each time around. Good luck with it.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

I was with layeredtech for over 2.5 years. They went from being one of the best companies (great customer service) to one of the worst. As they grew, it seems their attitudes became more arrogant and weren't really willing to help you out in most matters at all. Maybe their customer support had a huge turn around in the employees? Anyways, I migrated recently to volumedrive and they remind me of LayeredTech 2.5 years ago (great & friendly customer support, albeit some network problems). Hope everything works out for you.

Hi,

Moving is not an issue if its done on time ...if you can't keep up with your promise then its not ethicle. If it too much pain to move then why move ? If its really required to move then hire more man power to move so everyone has less problems.

I don't know how much staff LT has or some much server LT has rented. But when it comes to my server then 300+ clients are suffering. Maybe my clients are small but if there's downtime my phone starts ringing like anything.

Also I must say: I am not stubborn at any point. I came to know that it was not really required to move the server and that is why I asked them if its not necessary then why I should move and they said that it was acceptable but later they said it was'nt so I have no choice.

Instead of opening ticket with me few days earlier they should have opened ticket 72 hours prior to mt server move so it would have been completed. But I really don't understand what is going on with them.

Thanks.

Kikloo,

I know it is frustrating and if you are concerned about data loss, please for the sake of your clients make sure you are doing regular offsite backups.

If you don't subscribe to such a service do so now and make sure the backups worked.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by RedTorch View Post
    It sounds like for the first few tickets you were really pounding them unnecessarily hard for information. And, no offense, but you really came across as stubborn when you told them that you didn't want to move.
    I am not stubborn. I asked them nicely about my options. They earlier said I could and later they said I could'nt. Can I do anything about it ? NO!

You should take a few steps back and realize that they're shifting around an entire datacenter, and that's not exactly the easiest thing to do. Unracking and moving servers is a very tedious process, not to mention rewiring every rack once it's in its new location. And even if they just left everything racked up and just unplugged the power and ethernet, it would still take alot of manpower to move those huge racks.
    If its too much of a problem then why they're moving in the first place ? They are moving for their satisfaction not mine. And if its too much problem to move servers then LT please hire more man power.

Also, I doubt that they knew exactly how long it would take - they most likely had hundreds of other servers to move before they could get to yours, so they really couldn't give you a solid time and date for the migration. The best they could do (and anyone in this scenario) was give you ballpark estimates.
    That is acceptable but atleast reply me. Okay Tapan the date/time you selected is not possible please add 5 more days to it or 10 more days to it then we'll move it. But waaaa no reply.

At least your provider told you that they were moving servers. About two years ago all of my websites and servers were down without notice, my host wasn't answering the phone, and it took a few frantic calls to Hurricane Electric to discover that my host, their colocation client, had moved all of his servers down the street to their other facility. New IPs and everything.

I'd say that taking the time to acknowledge your numerous tickets was damn good service on their part.

EDIT: Additionally, since it's a dedicated server, it's their hardware. All you're doing is paying for unrestricted access to it.
    LOL if they say that to me then i'll really take their server and shove it in their back and move permanently. Coz that is the worst thing you'll ever hear from a server company. If some company wants to loose their all clients then this line would be the best: Since it's a dedicated server, it's our hardware. All you're doing is paying for unrestricted access to it. LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Kikloo,

I know it is frustrating and if you are concerned about data loss, please for the sake of your clients make sure you are doing regular offsite backups.

If you don't subscribe to such a service do so now and make sure the backups worked.
    Hi,

Yes i think its time for it. Bad for me though. But thanks for the advice.

Thank you.

LT - bad memories for me. Went to beachcomber (softlayer)

Thumbs down

I've been with Layeredtech at least 2 years, the reason i leave them because they raise $8.00 per month in sudden. Horrible support, because they took more than 3 hours to figure out which hardware caused the problem. No more LayeredTech for me

Quote Originally Posted by xplora03 View Post
    I've been with Layeredtech at least 2 years, the reason i leave them because they raise $8.00 per month in sudden. Horrible support, because they took more than 3 hours to figure out which hardware caused the problem. No more LayeredTech for me
    Wow! They raised $8 for me too. I opened a ticket asking them about it and they told me that it was done in April 2007 and all the time I thought I was paying for an extra block of IP addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by kikloo View Post
    Wow! They raised $8 for me too. I opened a ticket asking them about it and they told me that it was done in April 2007 and all the time I thought I was paying for an extra block of IP addresses.
    They claim that they had told us 4 months earlier in advanced because that money is to upgrade their support, network etc etc, but in fact i have received nothing from them but sudden bill!

this is my first time in history that the provider raise my bills without anything!

Hi,

That is a lie. I never got any intimation about that price hike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kikloo View Post
    Hi,

That is a lie. I never got any intimation about that price hike.

Thanks
    I suggest you to avoid them at all cost, or leave them before another $8.00 again or maybe $10.00 because of inflation .

I don't see why they would need to change the IPs on the server if they are simply relocating the server to a new location in the same data center. That is pretty pathetic. We actually managed to move between data centers and keep IPs on all customer servers the same ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

"Mandatory migration" sounds like they're getting rid of a cage or something. Pretty silly to not be able to transplant IPs to the new location (same data center? weak).

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    I don't see why they would need to change the IPs on the server if they are simply relocating the server to a new location in the same data center. That is pretty pathetic. We actually managed to move between data centers and keep IPs on all customer servers the same ...
    This deserves strong emphasis.

Maybe if they spent more energy on making this type of thing less painful for their clients, instead of collecting white elephants for their execs to ride. I'd love to see the bar tab at one of those things...
    Last edited by rams68; 05-24-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: url?

Hi,

Update: The LT had moved the server but SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!! The IP address they gave me when they opened the ticket were changed to something else.

Till date I am trying to figure out how to configure the IP's which should have been actually done by LT to save downtime.

Thanks.

Simple answer: Move and dont look back
    Damien

At that point, I'd move. The lack of them wanting to leave you with the same IP is just some technician being way too lazy to reroute the IP to another port. If they own the block, there's no reason they can't reroute it. Furthermore, for them to be more interested in catering to themselves instead of the customer worries me quite a bit. Makes me wonder what they would do in case of an outage or hardware failure, and quite frankly, I don't think any customer in their right mind should ever have to put up with that.

There are plenty of dedicated server companies who would love to have your business, and would strive to ensure that your stay is enjoyable. I'd suggest doing a little research, and making a move. If LT feels comfortable in their treatment of their customers, they clearly could care less if they lose them.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca