Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,282

    need 2 servers with 10TB bandwidth for less than $550/m

    Hi all, I'm looking for a configuration for my client
    one webserver 8 cores with 4G ram and 3 SATA hdds, one DB server 4 cores with 6G ram and 2 SATA hdds, gigabit port with 10TB monthly transfer. Most bandwidth usage will be to China which will be off-peak bandwidth(lower bandwidth cost for some providers?). Don't have to use the best network, Cogent, HE.net, XO, Nlayer, GBLX these are ok. DDOS protection will be a plus. Prefer west cost datacenters.
    Is this configuration possible to get for less than $550/m?
    I can also provide some hardware(MB, RAM, HDDs...) to lower the cost.
    Please give me some suggestion here or PM me.
    thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Under The Floor Tiles
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking for a configuration for my client
    one webserver 8 cores with 4G ram and 3 SATA hdds, one DB server 4 cores with 6G ram and 2 SATA hdds, gigabit port with 10TB monthly transfer. Most bandwidth usage will be to China which will be off-peak bandwidth(lower bandwidth cost for some providers?). Don't have to use the best network, Cogent, HE.net, XO, Nlayer, GBLX these are ok. DDOS protection will be a plus. Prefer west cost datacenters.
    Is this configuration possible to get for less than $550/m?
    I can also provide some hardware(MB, RAM, HDDs...) to lower the cost.
    Please give me some suggestion here or PM me.
    thanks!
    Without hard numbers on the processor types and sizes of the drives you're looking for, I don't think anyone here can give you dependable quotes. Can you be a bit more specific about what you need?
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706
    i dont think you will find that very easily or at all. you're probably looking at nearer to $1000
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA.
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    Is this configuration possible to get for less than $550/m?
    I can also provide some hardware(MB, RAM, HDDs...) to lower the cost.
    Sure, if you provide the chassis, motherboards, cpus, memory, hdds, power supplies, system fans, and such... this might be possible.

    How much of that 10TB transfer do you actually intend to use.
    If you actually use that much... you're looking at much more then $300-600/mo on just bandwidth.

    But, if you do find a provider offering you those two machines for $250/mo please let us know.
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,385
    Hi Meyu,

    I'm sure your familiar with searching for good providers just by reading your vocabulary. But keep in mind you get what you pay for. And if your really depending on this hardware you might want to invest a little more.

    Good luck in your searches..
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,282
    thanks guys, I know it's difficult to find. I guess better stick with FDC for now.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,627
    that is a rock bottom price, you are going to have a very hard time finding that anywhere else.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391
    Did you check midphase? I see they resell softlayer servers with 10TB BW and quad core for $199
    Mostafa
    http://www.Venatra.com
    Venatra.com .:. Specializing in VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    This will not be a reliable service. This budget do not cover even the costs of hardware most providers will face to host your project.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFiMaN View Post
    Did you check midphase? I see they resell softlayer servers with 10TB BW and quad core for $199
    thanks for your recommandation, I just talked to their sales, i'm very interested in their offers, probably will get couple servers from them.
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA.
    Posts
    1,622
    Midphase's quoted pricing seems odd... if the baseserver with 10TB transfer costs $199... then what is this whole section for when configuring a server with that deal:

    Networking Upgrades 1Gbps Port (1000Mbps) - (+$10.00/mo.)
    10Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth - (+$100.00/mo.)
    100Mbps Unmeteted Bandwidth - (+$2000.00/mo.)

    Why would someone pay an extra $100/Mo for 10Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth? 10TB transfer/mo is like 33Mbps sustained.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwave View Post
    Midphase's quoted pricing seems odd... if the baseserver with 10TB transfer costs $199... then what is this whole section for when configuring a server with that deal:

    Networking Upgrades 1Gbps Port (1000Mbps) - (+$10.00/mo.)
    10Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth - (+$100.00/mo.)
    100Mbps Unmeteted Bandwidth - (+$2000.00/mo.)

    Why would someone pay an extra $100/Mo for 10Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth? 10TB transfer/mo is like 33Mbps sustained.
    yes, it is a bit odd, but some clients are happy paying for real unmetered pipes. Making sure that they will never get any extra costs...
    Also, it may just mirror the way that SL's fee's to resellers are structured.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    How can you deliver 10 TB on 10 Mbps unmetered?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    How can you deliver 10 TB on 10 Mbps unmetered?
    you cant - max is 3200gb, and even that is close to impossible
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    How can you deliver 10 TB on 10 Mbps unmetered?
    I don't see where they say you'll get 10Mbps unmetered. They just state you get 10TB!
    Mostafa
    http://www.Venatra.com
    Venatra.com .:. Specializing in VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,282
    their default port speed is 100mbps.
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFiMaN View Post
    I don't see where they say you'll get 10Mbps unmetered. They just state you get 10TB!
    They sound like a provider who know what they are talking about! Sounds like they are just trying to oversell bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    They sound like a provider who know what they are talking about! Sounds like they are just trying to oversell bandwidth
    Well, if they can gurantee you/us to fully utilize the 10TB, then no problems!
    Mostafa
    http://www.Venatra.com
    Venatra.com .:. Specializing in VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFiMaN View Post
    Well, if they can gurantee you/us to fully utilize the 10TB, then no problems!
    We guarantee the 10TB of transfer per server.. this is all part of our very unique arrangement with SoftLayer.

    There are no smoke and mirrors here, what you see is what you get on our dedicated lineup.

    Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by midphase-MarcB View Post
    We guarantee the 10TB of transfer per server.. this is all part of our very unique arrangement with SoftLayer.

    There are no smoke and mirrors here, what you see is what you get on our dedicated lineup.

    Marc

    Is that per month? So if we get a $199 10TB server we will be able to transfer that much data? What kind of upstream connection is it on? You guarantee minimum throughput is ~33 Mbps 24/7 so what can we burst to?
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Is that per month? So if we get a $199 10TB server we will be able to transfer that much data? What kind of upstream connection is it on? You guarantee minimum throughput is ~33 Mbps 24/7 so what can we burst to?
    Yes, we're sitting on SoftLayer's impressive network. We have clients currently pushing the limits of their port without a problem.

    And yes, it's 10TB per month.

    Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by midphase-MarcB View Post
    Yes, we're sitting on SoftLayer's impressive network. We have clients currently pushing the limits of their port without a problem.

    And yes, it's 10TB per month.

    Marc
    Very cool - so what are the ports provided with the 10TB offer and what speeds can we expect?
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Very cool - so what are the ports provided with the 10TB offer and what speeds can we expect?
    We provide 100Mbps ports by default, 1000Mbps would run you an extra $10/mo.

    Here is a test file: http://67.228.177.115/10mb.zip

    Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by midphase-MarcB View Post
    We guarantee the 10TB of transfer per server.. this is all part of our very unique arrangement with SoftLayer.

    There are no smoke and mirrors here, what you see is what you get on our dedicated lineup.

    Marc
    well, sounds good, if you could provide me with a price for the upgrades I asked you in pm, and an estimated setup time would be great
    Mostafa
    http://www.Venatra.com
    Venatra.com .:. Specializing in VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    483
    Impossible at that price. Double it and you'll get what you need... Possibly
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by ckissi View Post
    Impossible at that price. Double it and you'll get what you need... Possibly
    Well, after Marc assured me at the above post I can utilize the 10TB with no problems, I have just ordered one and hope everything goes fine, probably if thats the case, will order more and more soon.
    Mostafa
    http://www.Venatra.com
    Venatra.com .:. Specializing in VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    483
    I do not understand that, 10Mbit unmetered (its about 3300GB/month) cost + $100. So you can pay + $100 and will receive 3.300GB instead of 10.000GB !! Hard to understand that for me
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by ckissi View Post
    I do not understand that, 10Mbit unmetered (its about 3300GB/month) cost + $100. So you can pay + $100 and will receive 3.300GB instead of 10.000GB !! Hard to understand that for me
    We are going to take that option off of the order form to avoid confusion. Again, there is not catch here, we are providing 10TB of transfer per month.

    Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,175
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by midphase-MarcB View Post
    We are going to take that option off of the order form to avoid confusion. Again, there is not catch here, we are providing 10TB of transfer per month.

    Marc
    Can we get it at the new data centers if wanted? or only in Dallas?
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by intragrade View Post
    Can we get it at the new data centers if wanted? or only in Dallas?
    We're running these special promotions to sell our current stock at the Dallas D.C. Once we get last few moved, we're going to be exploring the other DCs (including their recently launched Washington D.C. location).

    Marc
    Marc Bollinger
    Sr. Technical Engineer - US Operations
    UK2Group.com
    midPhase | AN Hosting | WestHost | 10TB | Resell.biz
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    287
    10TB bandwidth is roughly 31MB sustained? Given that Softlayer uses good tier 1 providers that means an avarage of $30/MB wholesale cost. This is interesting move in the dedicated server market. Wonder if other dedicated hosts will move to this new model.

    At any rate, the Promo they have on the Hapertown 2.66Ghz 2x250GB, 2GB RAM @ $199 is a steller deal. If you run that through SL site your talking $359/mo. That is some super deal they got going with Softlayer.
    Last edited by MMH-Moe; 05-20-2008 at 07:07 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    10TB bandwidth is roughly 31MB sustained? Given that Softlayer uses good tier 1 providers that means an avarage of $30/MB wholesale cost. This is interesting move in the dedicated server market. Wonder if other dedicated hosts will move to this new model.

    At any rate, the Promo they have on the Hapertown 2.66Ghz 2x250GB, 2GB RAM @ $199 is a steller deal. If you run that through SL site your talking $359/mo. That is some super deal they got going with Softlayer.
    I don't understand is:

    If they are a dedicated SL reseller portal say's that the reseller needs to place the price on the server higher than SL portal.

    Also is this on a sub-network our a colocation under SL DC?

    PS: The price is incredible for the cpu, hdd, BW but I think they have to sell a lot to make profit ...
    But at thoses prices...
      0 Not allowed!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    10TB bandwidth is roughly 31MB sustained? Given that Softlayer uses good tier 1 providers that means an avarage of $30/MB wholesale cost. This is interesting move in the dedicated server market. Wonder if other dedicated hosts will move to this new model.

    At any rate, the Promo they have on the Hapertown 2.66Ghz 2x250GB, 2GB RAM @ $199 is a steller deal. If you run that through SL site your talking $359/mo. That is some super deal they got going with Softlayer.
    Uh, what model is that? Grossly overselling?
    10TB on a typical users server is actually 66Mbps+.

    No, I don't think that most providers will start transforming into charities and paying for your bandwidth usage. I don't see that happening.
      0 Not allowed!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    5,137
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFiMaN View Post
    I don't see where they say you'll get 10Mbps unmetered. They just state you get 10TB!
    So, why is there an option to pay for 10 Mbps unmetered for additional fee then?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)
      0 Not allowed!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    Uh, what model is that? Grossly overselling?
    10TB on a typical users server is actually 66Mbps+.

    No, I don't think that most providers will start transforming into charities and paying for your bandwidth usage. I don't see that happening.
    no, it's around 33Mbps. 100Mbps maxed out 24/7 = 33Tb.
      0 Not allowed!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706
    great, so people will continually max 33Mbps of bandwidth 24x7 in one straight line? no, they wont.
    they will have peaks and valleys in traffic usage, equaling to about 150G per 1Mbps, thus 66Mbps!!

    the "320gb per 1mbps" is a trash number, and too many people don't know the facts. 320gb is a theoretical number for 1mbps flat usage 24x7 for the entire month, is your bandwidth completely flat? I sure bet it isnt.
    the mods need to have a sticky post in this forum section linking to the wht wiki that explains how much bandwidth you actually get from 1mbps
      0 Not allowed!

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    So, why is there an option to pay for 10 Mbps unmetered for additional fee then?
    They replied in the thread page2

    Quote Originally Posted by midphase-MarcB View Post
    We are going to take that option off of the order form to avoid confusion. Again, there is not catch here, we are providing 10TB of transfer per month.

    Marc
    Mostafa
    http://www.Venatra.com
    Venatra.com .:. Specializing in VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    the "320gb per 1mbps" is a trash number, and too many people don't know the facts. 320gb is a theoretical number for 1mbps flat usage 24x7 for the entire month, is your bandwidth completely flat? I sure bet it isnt.
    Actually 1 mbps full duplex completely sustained is roughly 320 gigabyte a month in and 320 gigabye a month out in theory.

    I do agree with you, but your example counts mainly for the smaller providers. Larger providers have so many customers from a larger variety of countries andf timezones, so they actually come much closer to the 320GB per mbps (95%)

    They might even squeeze more then 320 gigabyte/month out of a 1 mbps 95% if they sell offsite backup services and Internet access.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017
    Unbeatable dedicated bandwidth deals for Dedicated servers ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
      0 Not allowed!

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •