Thread: Revecom

Revecom

Hi all

OK whats the skinny on Revecom? I really like the way this site sounds, the setup fee isnt a problem and its a one off, transfer fee's of 3.95% and $1 per transaction sounds ok.

Can only please tell me if there are any more hidden charges? I heard something about 10%?? Is there a extra charge for them to deposit money each week or month?

I am seriously thinking of signing up with this company, can anyone offer any further advice?

Thank you

Stuart

I have them for 8 months and they are exellent. I am even outside US so the challange for them is even higher. They pay prompt and care a lot. No hidden fees of any kind btw

Thanks for the information NocSol

But can you tell me, I am in the UK, is it hard to setup your bank for deposits, I read something about your bank having to sign something? Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Stu

No you just sign up with them (they even do Euros and GBP btw!) and register a cc for security and then they send you settlement checks from their bank (HSBC) and it is advisable to make an account with HSBC in your country.

I did that and the cheques go directly to the HSBC here in Athens. I am also getting a cc from HSBC now which will be connected to my $-account so I can f.e. send money out via PayPal again and so on.

Look on my website under products to see how I integrated their default shopping cart with my order page if you like.

I'm in the UK, and I didn't sign up with revecom, but did make enquiries. The 3.95% + 1$ is the minimum, they will evaluate your actual rate (according to them). Their application also requires two? three? references.

Thats as far as I went with them

There are no hidden charges. You can go ahead with them.

Do you really need a trade bank account tho? Even in the UK?

onestar,

Who did you end up going with? I'm in the UK too and I'm thinking of using hostcharge.com.

They have an atm card that use can use for withdrawals.

Also, I posted this in its own thread but I was wondering if you had any idea how taxes in the UK play into online sales such as this (esp. if you're VAT registered.) ubergeek mentioned in the other thread that there might be a no VAT rule for online sales... any ideas?

Thanks,
    Aral

Aral,

we went with worldpay. Maybe more expensive depending on each sale price of each item. They also charge a yearly fee. Overall they suited our business model, slightly more than revecom who were my second choice. Hostcharge limited our choice to web stuff only - otherwise they looked good with the atm card.

On the VAT question, I think you will have to check the rules (me too). I'm under the impression that if its being sold in the UK or EU and is not a zero rated supply you must charge VAT if you are VAT registered. Supplying the goods to outside of the VAT zone, I'm not sure -- I thought they are exempt --- need to check that though.

Hi onestar,

I'll have to hit up my accountant for that info!

Aral

Originally posted by onestar
    I'm in the UK, and I didn't sign up with revecom, but did make enquiries. The 3.95% + 1$ is the minimum, they will evaluate your actual rate (according to them). Their application also requires two? three? references.
    I don't know where you got that info??? I just signed up with them a couple of days ago and never had to provide references or anything like that. Filled out the online application, downloaded and printed a credit card authorization and contract (which states the fees) signed and faxed them. That was it and everything was ready to go a few hours later.

Been using revecom [paysystems.com] for about 8mths now and all is well. Fraud prevention is excellent. They pay promptly by wire transafer into my account. It's never been late. It costs me about 10% for fees. You also pay 5% [which is help back for 6mths] for chargebacks etc....

The control panel is good. Good management tools too. I just wish they had a "notes" section where we can make manual notes about each client. That would be handy.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I don't know where you got that info???
    Thats what they sent me, I even asked about why they had to "decide" the rate, and I was told 3.95% was the starter rate.

And the form they sent me, had space for the references,

Perhaps because I was an international customer ?? I don't know why but thats what they sent.

Originally posted by onestar

Perhaps because I was an international customer ?? I don't know why but thats what they sent.
    Oh well I'm in Australia so that's weird

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    I just wish they had a "notes" section where we can make manual notes about each client. That would be handy.
    Ask them Bob! Apparently they're working on a new MCC so they may well include one.. it certainly wouldn't be too difficult

Originally posted by joshp
    Ask them Bob! Apparently they're working on a new MCC so they may well include one.. it certainly wouldn't be too difficult
    I've been sending them the same request every week now for about 6 weeks. I'm sure they've got the message by now.

I'll add my voice then as well now I've signed up with them!
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

Originally posted by joshp
    I'll add my voice then as well now I've signed up with them!
    in unicen we shall both annoy the crap out of them.

Just added mine also Bob
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Bob, use the post suggestion thingy in the control panel.
    Who knows? Maybe you'd win $1000.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by rochen
    Just added mine also Bob
    OK that's 3 of us.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Bob, use the post suggestion thingy in the control panel.
    Who knows? Maybe you'd win $1000.
    I'm fully aware of that. However the odds of me winning something like that would be about that same as me running a successful hosting business. Hold it, that's happened.

BTW SWR, that was your post # 4444.

Hi all

OK I bite the bullet and have signed up with Revecom and so far I am quite impressed although I am still working the thing out but something I can't seem to remove is the shipping on my services, I have signed up for the TPP Catalog $79 and as I won't be using shipping with the hosting part of my business then I would like to remove this from the payment form, anyone got any advice for this Revecom newbi

Thanks

Stu

Hi Stu,

Are you going to be selling any tangible goods? (Since the TPP Sale seems to be a better deal if all your products are services.)

Aral

Btw, Revecom does seem like the best deal out there. I had been thinking of going with hostcharge but now I'm not so sure. From what I've seen Revecom's fees are less than hostcharge's although hostcharge includes a Virtual Terminal with their Select and Direct packages where you can enter credit card sales.

Comparing the basic hostcharge account (H; no virtual terminal) with the Revecom TTP Sale (R) account:

H: Acct. setup: $0, Monthly fee: $0, discount rate: 08.00% (min $0.40), ATM card: $49 setup fee

R: Acct. setup $49, Monthly fee: $0, Discount rate: 03.95%, Auth. fee = $1

One thing I like about hostcharge is that they have an online forum where they provide great support. Also they accept 16 credit cards compared to the 4 accepted by Revecom. On the other hand, revecom can accept checks (but only in the US?.. no info on the site.)

I guess it's still a toss up... I just don't know about the 8% discount rate that hostcharge charges.

Aral

Hi Aral

I think I have signed up with the wrong service, should have been the sale version, I thought that the Catalog would have let me turn off the shipping option if I wanted

Maybe if I ask nice they will downgrade me?

Thanks

Stuart

PS: Is Revecom got a online support on a Sunday?

Hi Stuart,

I'm sure that they will. I don't know about their support though -- you can try at http://www.revecom.com/contact.htm

support's usually slower on the weekends but usually gets done. We've used them for a long time now (first payment period ended 12/1/00), and have no real complaints. Over that time they've had some growing pains, but considering the length of time they've been doing it, you should be pretty confident they'll still be there for a long time yet.

They've become a lot more 'host friendly' than they used to be. They were geared more as a online shopping cart way back when, so the specific needs of a webhost weren't met too well without some hair pulling to get things done.

Payments used to be every two weeks and not too quick on arriving. Now they're every week and you can almost set your watch by them. Transfers are cheaper now too.

They're not perfect. There's the odd bug in the system that gets annoying from time to time, but with years behind them now, and a pretty quick support rate the ease of the system outweighs any annoyances. Personally were I you, I'd go with a payment processor that's been around a while so you know they'll be there when you wake up in the morning. No offense intended to the other processors mentioned here, but billing is a pretty important part of your business. Let's face it, without good billing you'll be out of business in no time.

*edit*
    Revecom's site is a fairly useless source of information. Much of it is out of date by around two years, and often the e-mail links don't work. Signing up through them and using paysystem's inbuilt support via the control panel is your best bet.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Does anyone know if Revecom has an automatic way of knowing when to charge VAT for customers? (Based on IP/etc.)

Here in the UK, we apparently have to charge VAT for UK/EU customers but we don't have to for the rest of the world.

Thanks,
    Aral

err, I don't think they do. You could set up separate packages of course that include the VAT. On your sign up forms (or plans page), have a link under the main button. Something like "UK customers press press here" or something similar - or the other way around if most of your business will be UK based.

Not too familiar with VAT but can you claim VAT is included with the price in the cost, and just wear the tax? eg:

$12.95 (VAT included)

Would depend on how much of a slug the tax is I suppose.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

17.5% actually, makes for some heavy clothes

I'm sure that if I have a link like that no one in their right minds is going to choose the higher price. "Oh look John, since we're in the UK, we need to pay 17.5% more, jolly good then!"

How stupid is taxing the net, really? Get with it England!

I'm just wondering. I've noticed that PayPal seems cheaper... so why Revecom?

Regards,
    - Kurieuo.

Aral, there's nothing wrong with you doing that , it's the customers responsibility to pick the right option.

In the US, you frequently see "Customers from XXX[where we're based] have to add 7%" - having a state-by-state tax makes even less sense...

Hi ubergeek... Well, not really because the taxman doesn't care if the customer didn't pick the right option. If you didn't charge VAT when you should have you're still liable to absorb the cost and hand over the money to the VAT man.

Therefore you would need some sort of IP-based or credit-card address-based system to automatically judge whether VAT should be charged.

From what I've been researching, it's not as simple as "well charge everyone VAT and then keep the one's from outside the EU." If you charge VAT, even for sales to people outside the EU you apparently have to hand over that VAT. (Doesn't make sense does it... if I'm wrong I'd love to know!)

Ooh, PayPal... don't even get me started on PayPal... all I can say is, stay far, far away from PayPal. They are, if anything, indifferent to the point of being malicious.

I've had (still have -- but not for long) an account with them for over three years and didn't have a problem until something went wrong (a buyer they thought was being fraudulent when he wasn't) and then began my personal hell. Let's just say that they're great until anything goes wrong, at which time they will treat you like filth. I don't even want to go into it here, check out paypalsucks.com and paypalwarning.com -- there are enough people who got burned who took the time to document their personal hells.