What is iSCSI SAN Storage ?

I was looking at the configuration for the server on SoftLayer, and I noticed that they offer something called "iSCSI SAN Storage". Can someone explain to me as to what is the purpose of such storage?
    I run a huge forum, so I naturally use SA-SCSI 15k so the data is accessed at a great rate from the HD. I was wondering if it be possible to use "iSCSI SAN Storage" to store the database files, and be able to access the data at a good speed.

All help is appreciated.

iSCSI SAN is basically a 'storage area network' setup. This is primarily designed for storage, NOT day to day use.. You might be able to also use it as a 'file server', but, again, not something I'd want to test.

For your forum, you might consider two separate hard drives, moving SQL onto it's own drive. It's really not that complicated to do at all, and this will reduce the access to the main drive, and give a dedicated drive specifically to MySQL (and maybe backups). Just a thought
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by hsbsitez View Post
    I was looking at the configuration for the server on SoftLayer, and I noticed that they offer something called "iSCSI SAN Storage". Can someone explain to me as to what is the purpose of such storage?
    I run a huge forum, so I naturally use SA-SCSI 15k so the data is accessed at a great rate from the HD. I was wondering if it be possible to use "iSCSI SAN Storage" to store the database files, and be able to access the data at a good speed.

All help is appreciated.
    Yes, its possible and quite common.

RE

Hi take a look at this page. I found it a while ago and I sure that will be very utile. And about the database files course that is possible
    starwindsoftware.com/data-sheets