Lightbulb Unique situation for host shopping

Greetings! I've been doing a lot of research for webhosts lately, and that is how I found this forum. I'll cut right to the chase.

I'd like to order webhosting for my small business soon. My requirements are:

UPTIME, PHP, MySQL (basically, it just has to support Wordpress for now)

Storage isn't a big deal really, but I'd say we'd need at least 50 gigs just in case. Most hosts seem to be pretty generous in that department.

Traffic is my biggest concern. The business will not be very active until August, when traffic should begin to increase at a rate we just cannot predict. Should an event happen (like being Slashdotted), the traffic could be insane because we would be most likely hosting video content (not adult content). I can picture the overage charges now, and it would be a nightmare. That is what I'd prefer to avoid.

I've looked into Yahoo and their promise of "unlimited" bandwidth. I'm thinking that might be the best choice at this point. It sounds like they will throttle your site but you won't be hit with any overages charges so I'm OK with that. I am not worried if MS buys Yahoo.

Which hosts would you recommend though? My budget is $0-25 per month until the business grows. Then I may consider VPS and dedicated solutions, but that is for the future.

Thanks in advance.

Hard to get that amount of space, most places won't let you use that much even if they advertise it at your budget. It sounds like you are just going to use Wordpress, it doesn't take too much space up. Are you SURE you need 50gigs of space?

Hello,

Welcome to WHT. Be very wary of companies that offer unlimited anything. I dont think you neccissarily need a vps or dedicated to start just make sure the host you plan on working with is aware of the situation and will not take your site down if the 'digg' effect happens. You may take a look at the offers section to see who can help suit your needs. Best of luck in your search
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Go here

http://www.server4you.com/us/economy/index.php

$29 bucks and up. Your business is important to you so don't try to nickle and dime it to death.

At minimum do the Economy L for raid one and then grow your business.

Do you have a clue what 50 gigs of "webspace" is unless your planning to upload LOTS of stuff. You are going to have backups of your possible 50 gigs? Just because it's raid 1 doesn't mean your server can't get hosed.
    Hosting and Web design.
    OnLineMedia, Inc.

Be very wary of companies that offer unlimited anything
    I agree with DimensionServers there is no unlimited bandwidth
    When you sign up for the account you will find this out espacially when you reach a specific amount of bandwidth
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by biggerboy View Post
    Hard to get that amount of space, most places won't let you use that much even if they advertise it at your budget. It sounds like you are just going to use Wordpress, it doesn't take too much space up. Are you SURE you need 50gigs of space?
    Seems like there are a lot of shared hosting plans that are overselling, but offering tons of space. For instance Dreamhost offers 500 gigs. Since we're hosting video content, we'd probably try to use sites like YouTube and Vimeo to sidestep some of the issues with hosting video ourselves.

We'd need space for images though. I can see 50 gigs being enough.

Quote Originally Posted by E.Emile View Post
    I agree with DimensionServers there is no unlimited bandwidth
    When you sign up for the account you will find this out espacially when you reach a specific amount of bandwidth
    So I suppose I should re-word my question:

Is there a better solution than Yahoo's throttling so that my site would stay up and I won't be hit with overage charges?

Thanks a lot for the advice so far

Yes, your best option on this is to confirm with the host prior about their bandwidth usage options. For example, some companies have some amount of leeway on bandwidth, If talk directly with the host you may be able to work something special out, so even if your site goes over by a bit it wont shut your site down
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Is there a better solution than Yahoo's throttling so that my site would stay up and I won't be hit with overage charges?
    Using a host that specializes in hosting applications and has available computing resources in case of traffic surges for the dynamic part of your site (scrips and databases), and a budget shared hosting account (like Yahoo's) for hosting the big static files (images etc) may combine the best of both worlds in a useful way.

Just make sure that the TOS of the cheap host allows you to host files in the manner you plan to (some place restrictions on how much space you can use for multimedia files storage etc) and that the other host feels confident about its hosting environment's ability to cope with the usage peaks you expect.

Thank you everyone