when looking for the right host...

hello,

i am new to this forum and relatively new to this topic. right now, i use iweb to design websites that are hosted on .mac servers. i use godaddy for domain masking and forwarding. real rookie stuff. but i'm moving up. i'm redesigning my sites and would like to change my hosting approach as well.

my needs are naive at the moment. i have four to six sites that i need hosted and i want to be able to quickly and easily update them. i want a host that provides imap email service and good customer support. i have no idea what else to look for. any advice will be appreciated.

thanks,

charlie

Well IMAP is pretty much standard across the majority of web hosts. I guess the big question is do you need any special software such as maybe PHP, MySQL, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails ect. Depending on which you need if any is a big part of which host you should be looking at.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Hello Charlie

Welcome to WHT. What do you use for your site? how do you design it at this moment?.
    Do you want separated control panels for each site? or do you prefer to handle all them through the same?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi,
    You could find a cpanel account with reseller privileges I think it will be suitable for you
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

He could also get an shared hosting account with the amount or great of allowed addon domains.

Hello,

A shared account should be fine for your needs. I dont think you need as much as a reseller account. Addon domains will be able to handle his multiple site request. IMAP is also pretty standard for most hosting companies to offer.

What kind of traffic do you expect on your site(s) and how much disk space do you think you will need?
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Hi,

I think it is a good idea to take a look at Multi domain hosting services. Look araound and see what kind of multidomain / multisite plans offer web hosts. A service like this will allow you to consolidate resources and to bring together your sites.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

thank you all for the responses. i am creating websites for a music production company that i run and some of the projects we produce. the websites will be artistic and mainly informational, with some media streaming. i hope to see a lot of traffic to the sites, but i cannot quantify it yet. can i upgrade my accounts if there is a sudden spike in traffic?

i don't know about cpanels. what would be the advantage of having one for each site or one for all sites?

lastly, i've tried a number of wysiwyg editors thinking that i could skate passed learning html and come up with some decent designs, but i think i need to just bite the bullet and take a class or two in dreamweaver. unless you guys know of any simple, yet flexible editors for a mac. let me know.

thanks again

can i upgrade my accounts if there is a sudden spike in traffic?
    If the host has bigger packages yes, upgrading is rarely an issue. However, an important traffic spike can mean high CPU and/or memory usage and could result in the site not being a good fit for the host's shared hosting environment. The exact threshold will vary a lot with the host, their target market, and not least, the amount that you pay for the hosting.

You can quick start your design by using a free template, and modifying it to suit your needs. http://kompozer.net/ can be a replacement to Dreamweaver, to an extent. Basic HTML is a good thing to know as a website owner and maintainer, and there should be lots of free and decent tutorials for it out there.