SoftLayer - **FULL** Double RAM & HDD special!

SoftLayer Featured Special DOUBLE RAM *AND* HDD on any server $179 and up!
    Order any server with a base price of $179 or higher and include 2x250GB HDDs and 4GB RAM on the order form, then enter the promotional code: YIPP when placing your order to receive the special pricing. This offer is good in either Dallas, Seattle, or the New Washington DC datacenter!

This is a COMPLETE Double/Double special. For example:

Buy 4GB pay for 2GB
    Buy 6GB pay for 3GB
    Buy 8GB pay for 4GB
    Buy 12GB pay for 6GB
    Etc…

AND
    Buy 2 250 pay for 1 250
    Buy 2 500 pay for 1 500
    Buy 2 750 pay for 1 750
    Etc…

*Special pricing is for a limited time and valid for new server orders only. This offer cannot be applied to or combined with any other special offer.
    Examples:

Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 3220
     Processor: – 2.40GHz (Kentsfield)
     2 x 4MB CPU Cache
     4GB DDR2 667 ECC RAM
     KVM over IP Access / Reboot
     2000GB Public Bandwidth
     Unmetered Private Network Bandwidth
     5 Public IP Addresses
     Windows / RHEL / CentOS

 2 x 250GB SATAII HDD
    $199/mo NO SETUP
    Order Now!!
    Promo Code YIPP

Dual Processor Quad Core Intel Xeon 5335
     Processor: 5335 – 2.00GHz
     2 x 8MB CPU Cache
     4GB FB-DIMM RAM
     KVM over IP Access / Reboot
     2000GB Public Bandwidth
     Unmetered Private Network Bandwidth
     5 Public IP Addresses
     Windows / RHEL / CentOS

 2 x 250GB SATAII HDD
    $299/mo NO SETUP
    Order Now!!
    Promo Code YIPP

----------------------------------------------------------------

Express servers
    http://www.softlayer.com/servers_ses.html

 Express servers start at $139 per month
     2-hour install time
    *This pricing cannot be combined with any other special offer

----------------------------------------------------------------

SoftLayer’s Private Network Includes
     Free Server to Server Connections
     Server to Services Connections (FTP/NAS)
     OS Update Servers - YUM/RHN/MS/BSD
     Free Automated OS Reloads
     SSL/PPTP VPN Remote Management
     10/100/1000Mbps Speeds
     Unmetered Bandwidth

Features Include:
     100% Redundant Cisco Network
     Dallas DC: INTERNAP, SAVVIS, GLOBAL CROSSING, VERIO, LEVEL 3
     Seattle DC: INTERNAP, QWEST
     Public and Private Networks
     32/64 Red Hat & Windows Server
     IDS / IPS / DDOS Protection
     Advanced Management Portal & API
     Host Monitoring & Notification
     Automated OS Reloads – Free
     Remote Reboot / Remote Console
     IPMI 2.0 Server Monitoring & Control
     True out-of-band access via SSL/PPTP VPN

Dallas Test IP: 66.228.118.51
    Dallas Test File Download - 10MB file
    Dallas Test File Download - 100MB file

Seattle Test IP: 67.228.118.21
    Seattle Test File Download - 10MB file
    Seattle Test File Download - 100MB file

Washinton DC Test IP: 208.43.118.51
    Washington DC Test File Download - 10MB file
    Washington DC Test File Download - 100MB file

SoftLayer Security
    Hardware Firewalls / priced per server
    Cisco – 10Mbps Hardware Firewall $49 per month
    Cisco – 100Mbps Hardware Firewall $99 per month
    Cisco – 1000Mbps Hardware Firewall $199 per month

FREE McAfee LinuxShield Anti-virus
    FREE McAfee VirusScan Anti-virus Windows
    McAfee Host Intrusion Protection w/reporting $30 per month
    FREE McAfee Network Intrusion Protection
    FREE Vulnerability Assessment and Reporting

Custom Drive Configurations Available
    Up to 12 Drive Bays
    Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    SATA 250GB, 500GB, 750GB, and Raptor 150GB
    SA-SCSI 73GB, 147GB, 300GB, and 400GB 10K
    SA-SCSI 73GB, 147GB, and 300GB 15K
    3Ware SATAII Hardware Raid Controllers
    Adaptec SA-SCSI Hardware Raid Controllers

StorageLayer
    NAS / FTP Storage - $0.50 per GB
    ISCSI Storage - $0.75 per GB

Control Panel Options
    cPanel w/ RVSkin & Fantastico $25/mo
    Plesk 30 Domain w/ Power Pack $10/mo
    Plesk 100 Domain w/ Power Pack $20/mo
    Plesk Unlimited Domain w/ Power Pack $30/mo
    HELM 4.0 $20/mo

Web Analytics Software
    Urchin 5 $5/mo

VISA / MASTERCARD / AMEX / PAYPAL

View All SoftLayer Upgrades
    The SoftLayer Network

http://www.softlayer.com

Hi,

I'm in the market for a managed dedicated Linux box with cpanel and fantastico.

Going to be running a social networking site with thousands of users initially, and likely tens of thousands within a year.

Members will have profiles, image galleries, buddy lists, blogs and a forum. Using phpBB for the forums and MySQL for the database work.

Not sure how much server we'll need initially, but needs to be scaleable as the site grows. Users won't be able to put videos onto their profiles or anything like that, so should help reduce server strain.

Please send quote on specs & price to [email protected]

Thanks so much!

AJ

I have over 30 machines with you guys, so when I order machines I expect lower pricing due to volume...Got a quote yesterday and come on the forums to find that the "price break" i was offered is offered to everyone? What gives? I ordered six servers from you guys today alone.....

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkit View Post
    I have over 30 machines with you guys, so when I order machines I expect lower pricing due to volume...Got a quote yesterday and come on the forums to find that the "price break" i was offered is offered to everyone? What gives? I ordered six servers from you guys today alone.....
    Email [email protected]

They do offer discounts on multiple servers.

Yea, I know. Which is why I was mad when they gave me a "deal" that was available to the public. I took care of it though .

Question to SoftLayer....

What's the level of support you provide? Is the dedicated server FULLY managed? Is the support price INCLUDED in the server price, or do you charge extra for "fully managed"?

By fully managed, I mean...as the server owner I'll contact your support for ANY issues related to OS or Cpanel (like broken Exim/Apache, installing Ruby on Rails etc).

PS: Of course, I'll FIRST try my best to resolve any issues myself, and then contact you if I am unable to do so.
    Chris

Hello, chris_jon,

We don't like to use the terms "managed" or "unmanaged" as black-and-white definitions at SoftLayer, as those words have so many different meanings across the industry. Simply stated, SoftLayer Technical Support is your safety net. Our engineers assist customers with questions about hardware, software, control panels, bandwidth, networking, datacenter and security products we deliver. Security patches and OS updates are automated for RedHat and Windows. Our customer portal and management network are designed to give our customers useful tools and maximum control over the server. Our service includes industry leading network, hardware, power, and infrastructure SLA guarantees.

We offer 24/7 Support via ticket or phone if you run into trouble. We have flash tutorials, a searchable knowledgebase, FAQs, private forums and tickets for issue resolution. Our support does not cover routine administrative tasks such as adding users/domains, managing DNS, rotating log files, installing third party apps, etc. Customers are responsible for day to day server administration. If you are new in server admin, Sales can refer you to some well reputed third party server administration companies.

By default, SoftLayer offers automated monitoring of the public server interface. You may choose from Host Ping ($0/month - 5 minute ping intervals of the server primary IP address) or Host Ping and TCP/IP Services ($5/month - 5 minute ping intervals and 5 minute service test of up to 16 different TCP/IP services - no client software is required on your server).

Our Support methodology utilizes the "emergency room" approach where problems are graded for severity and responded to accordingly. Service outages of any type always receive top priority followed by service-degrading factors and general questions about server management. This ensures every customer will receive the best support during the appropriate situation.

Thank you!

Thumbs up

I managed to snag an Opteron 170 for $129 a couple weeks before I got my LT price increase e-mail I wish it had double-ram/hdd but I understand it was a very good deal already.

So far it is an excellent system, migration is complete and the server hasn't broken a sweat yet. The portal is awesome, I picked the wrong partitioning during ordering but the portal allowed me to change it and re-OSRI in an hour.

I look forward to a long future with SL. I did have a server for a few months 2 years ago that I shared with someone, we went our separate ways but the server was rock solid.

My DSL provider uses cogent for a backbone so the private network is super quick for me to use for ssh/backup downloads

Thanks SL, keep up the great work.

To SoftLayer Sales,

Thanks for your detailed clarification. I understand that it's very difficult to define those terms. I am just trying to find whether the common software issues are handled by your support, or would they direct me to seek my own support.

Sorry to be so repeatative, but support is my #1 priority over anything else. So, let me put my question this way (just a real life example):
    ---------
    "If my exim doesn't work due to some unknown reason, will your support tech fix it for me?.....

....OR will they refuse to do so by saying that fixing exim is not a part of server support?....

....OR will you charge me extra/hour by saying fixing exim is not a part of 'standard' server support?...

....OR will they try to do a OS reload to avoid wasting time to fix the exim (even if it's really fixable)?"
    --------

How would you answer to the above question in real life situation? Unfortunately, I have thru this situation before (with other providers)...that's why I am asking you such a question.
    Chris

I believe they have a system where they charge some money based on a support ticket and they fix your problem, though they usually recommend getting managed support from a third party or hiring your own staff to do it. I think that if they can fix exim, they will do it for you for a small fee, and if they can't, they simply won't or offer an alternative to fixing it, SL Sales should know best though .
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Hi,

Softlayer is not responsible for the software on your server, nor its configuration aside from making sure it has proper connectivity. With that being said, you can have them do almost anything with a specialty support ticket, which costs only 3$! Amazing deal if you ask me.

How long is this sale going for as im pricing out a server to upgrade and will order this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fluentd View Post
    How long is this sale going for as im pricing out a server to upgrade and will order this weekend.
    The specials page on softlayer.com says:
    Friday-Sunday Special - Valid 5:00PM Friday to 10:00PM Sunday, Central Time
    So you're fine at least until then.

I'm trying to place an order, however your ordering system won't let me order Centos 5.0 64 bit and cPanel.

cPanel/WHM supports 64 bit see: http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpwhm...quirements.htm

Is it Fantastico or RVSkin that don't? Here's the error:
    Code:
    Error:
    cPanel/WHM with Fantastico and RVskin cannot be ordered with CentOS 5 (64 bit)
    :: Shrapnel Network LLC ::
    :: Authorized Ventrilo and Teamspeak Hosting ::
    :: www.shrapnet.com : www.shrapnel-network.com ::

Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnet|Rob View Post
    I'm trying to place an order, however your ordering system won't let me order Centos 5.0 64 bit and cPanel.

cPanel/WHM supports 64 bit see: http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpwhm...quirements.htm

Is it Fantastico or RVSkin that don't? Here's the error:
    Code:
    Error:
    cPanel/WHM with Fantastico and RVskin cannot be ordered with CentOS 5 (64 bit)
    You can ask for it but they does not support it as I can remember...

I have cpanel working on 64 bit centos for more than a year now. I don't have any problem. I think softlayer should add option for 64 bit + cpanel. If cpanel support it, why not softlayer.

There is two options, order server with 64 bit cpu, once you got the server request Cpanel licence or reload OS after you get the server. I am thinking of trying one of this in my next softlayer server.

Cpanel support 64bits, the main problem is SL's tech are not trained to support it...

Agree with flashwebhost, we too have several box with cPanel with 64bits OS, they not problem with it... I just hope to see SL offer virtuozzo license...

Shrapnet|Rob,

I've asked this question before (on a similar topic, specials). Got no reply. Don't think you will get answer either. I might come back to SL someday, maybe when cPanel 12 hits the streets and they add 64 bit support.

Quote Originally Posted by DjiXas View Post
    I've asked this question before (on a similar topic, specials). Got no reply. Don't think you will get answer either. I might come back to SL someday, maybe when cPanel 12 hits the streets and they add 64 bit support.
    I emailed their sales team on Sunday and got an answer pretty promptly. It's an easy process. Since i had already placed my order (didn't want to miss the sale) here's what i did:

1. Order server with 32 bit OS, with cpanel (so that you get a license).
    2. Once deployed, do an OS Reload (free and automated, took less than an hour). During the OS selection process, select the 64 bit OS you want (of course). Don't select cPanel.
    3. Once OS reload is complete, open a ticket with the licensing dept to let them know you want a cPanel license and that you have already done the OS reload and will install cPanel yourself. My ticket was replied to within 60 mins on a Sunday.

You could also order 64 bit OS, then later after it's deployed, open a licensing ticket and request cpanel. This would avoid the step of the OS Reload.

You'll be on your own to support it though. I suppose you can contact cPanel directly for support. I've never needed to in the past, just about everything i've needed i've found in the cpanel forums.

Thanks for the info, i will try this on my next server.

I never know softlayer is going to support me on cpanel issues and never contacted any DC for a cpanel issues :-)

Can you explain more about "Unmetered Private Network Bandwidth"

What exactly does that mean???

Quote Originally Posted by jack12344 View Post
    Can you explain more about "Unmetered Private Network Bandwidth"

What exactly does that mean???
    Softlayer has a Private 10.x.x.x network (second nic in server). If you have multiple servers they can communicate with each other via the private network. Also, customers can VPN into the Softlayer network and connect to their servers via the private network (useful if your public net is saturated with a DOS or something).

The bandwidth on that private network is unlimited.