• Jscript 8

1 5.26%
  • Visual Basic 2008

4 21.05%
  • Visual C# 2008

11 57.89%
  • Visual C++ 2008

3 15.79%

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional: Which Language First?

I just purchased Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to increase my skill set. I was just wanting a general idea on what people in the field, you guys, would recommend me starting with.

Jscript 8
    Visual Basic 2008
    Visual C# 2008
    Visual C++ 2008

I understand that alot of you would recommend non-Microsoft based languages, etc. But this is the chosen path I have decided on and would like some options which is the best language and most employable to start with.
    James Edmonds
    DataDork Consulting
    http://www.datadork.com

Go with C++ and oops and then you can go a head with C# and on

I would avoid Jscript and VB like a plague. I would recommend a good familiarity with C++. C# is amazingly easy once you mess around with it a little to understand how things work (logic structures require bool datatypes, switch/case structures are worthless, etc) and figure out the auto completion (press . after an object and you will understand and fall in love).

If you're going to be working in a Microsoft shop then I wouldn't mess around with anything but C#. Microsoft has done a great job of giving code snippets in C#/VB.NET/C++ via MSDN but I believe you'll find that the language of choice amongst up to date developers is C#, followed by VB.NET.

This means you're most likely to find sample C# projects w/source, tutorials, etc. Several years ago almost everything I wrote was in C++, but I'll rewrite the code now before touching the 'legacy' code.

Have fun,
    Jerret

you should start with c# 2008. vs 2008 is a terrific IDE. good choice.
    Miguel Ribeiro
    WinSaaS

C# is really popular now. But I'd go for C++, because if you know C++ you can program in virtually any programming language.

C# or vb.net

C++ although a great foundation language, is quickly being directed towards specialized programming. Unless you are planning to be a driver developer, or a very core services programmer (not an easy task, by the way), then I would just spend a week in C++ and then jump directly to C#.

99% of programming work done now in "Microsoft Shops" is in either C# or VB.NET, with the split being 75/25 in favor of C#.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Another vote for C++, then migrate to C#.

c# is a great language, way better then c++ and much more OO.

The best feature of MS visual studio 2008 is the Javascript debugging from the IDE... it's got to be the best feature MS has ever put into their products.

EDIT: Javascript debugging with Full Intelesence... Woooop
    Last edited by network82; 05-29-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

Another thing I should meantion, is that vb.net developers get tarnished with the "Visual BASIC" brush, and c# developers seem to be the creme de la creme..

For some reason, industry says vb.net developers are inept and c# developers are the quality crufters...

IMO .net is .net, c# does have some better syntax in various places, but vb.net is just as good..

The only thing that annoys me in vb.net is the fact it compiles every couple of seconds to validate your code, and if you have a massive project or a solution with lots of massive projects in it, the compiling freezes the IDE. that can get a bit annoying.. c# doesn't auto compile, you have to build it to validate, so pro's and con's..

I develop in Both quite competantly so I have no problem with it...

Thank you all for taking the time to give me a direction to go in.

Have a great weekend...
    James Edmonds
    DataDork Consulting
    http://www.datadork.com

The only thing that annoys me in vb.net is the fact it compiles every couple of seconds to validate your code, and if you have a massive project or a solution with lots of massive projects in it, the compiling freezes the IDE. that can get a bit annoying
    Man here I thought VB couldn't get any more annoying.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Burhan View Post
    Man here I thought VB couldn't get any more annoying.
    Try working with someone who sometimes capitalizes things and sometimes doesn't. You have the distinct feeling of wanting to strangle, or at the very least cause them extreme pain.

Quote Originally Posted by vibrokatana View Post
    Try working with someone who sometimes capitalizes things and sometimes doesn't. You have the distinct feeling of wanting to strangle, or at the very least cause them extreme pain.
    Bah, or someone who doesn't indent. that does my head in.