Thread: Windows XP Home

Windows XP Home

Hi,
    I have another question........I got a laptop on Tuesday loaded with windows xp home.
    I got loads of those blue screen things when i put software on, the memory dump ones.....I foned the manufacturer who said reload windows.
    I did and now it only has aol on. I got another one of those errors, it said it was the modem drivers and to download the windows update, which i did.
    Then this morning i clicked on a link on my forum, blue screen and instant restart, the error report said it was device drivers but it couldn't determine which ones.

I had big problems with xp pro on my pc too!

Has anyone else had similar problems or knows how to fix it? ( without it involving, formatting and installing linux )

"Factory installs" of windows always seem to be extremely unstable. I've used comps that would crash at least every 30 minutes of regular use when using their factory install of Windows, but have no stability problems using a clean install of the same version. That doesn't seem to be the problem in your case, unless you used a "restore" CD instead of a regular Windows installation CD. If you did use a restore CD, try a clean install instead!

If that doesn't/didn't help, try Windows 2000 Pro, and get all of its updates. If you have a particular reason for using XP instead of 2k, you should still install every update Windows Update has (there might be a few you don't need, but none will harm you, and most will help).

Btw, in my experience Windows 2000 is considerably more stable than any Linux distro on a desktop.

I used a restore cd because its all that I have, I don't have the cash right now to go and buy a new copy of XP

I have probs with XP all the time.
    I had major probs with ME also.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Let me tell you one thing

In my opinion, I ONLY use Win2k and XP Pro as for I don't like other windows because they ain't good at all.

Win2k is well known for every big companies and servers. I think I don't need to say more here.

XP Pro is new and is get better and better than Win2k. It's based on both Dos and Win2k to develope this brand new XP Pro. Remember! I'm not talking about XP Home which is not good as WinME.

Win98SE is also a good one IF AND ONLY IF you want to play games that don't support XP Pro. Otherwise, go for either Win2k or XP Pro. Period!

Windows 3.11 SUCKS
    Windows 95 SUCKS
    Windows 98 (all versions) SUCKS
    Windows NT (all versions) SUCKS
    Windows ME SUCKS BEYONE COMPREHENSION
    Windows XP Home SUCKS

Windows 2000 (all versions) ARE COOL
    Windows XP Pro ISNT TOO BAD

In summary, Windows 2000 is possibly the best OS they have ever released, microsoft know that, the problem is its too good, what happens when you make a product that does everything to perfection, you have to break it to make an upgrade !!
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

If all you have is a restore CD, phone the manufacturer and ask for a proper copy - you've paid for the license so now get the disc.

I may just put win2k on it cos its doing my head in now

Originally posted by ubergeek22
    If all you have is a restore CD, phone the manufacturer and ask for a proper copy - you've paid for the license so now get the disc.
    Against Microsoft's OEM "licencing" policy.... their licencing policies are absolutely ridiculous.

My laptop computer came with a licence for XP Home and a corresponding recovery CD. Extremely unreliable and prone to crashing.

I installed a clean install of XP Pro (ie: proper install CD, not recovery) and it runs fine.

--Shaun

PS: taz; what brand laptop have you got?
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net