Post Warning: Avoid Amerihost.com

So I've had a VPS with Amerihost for a while. I found a better deal, here actually, for a real server. I migrated my accounts and submitted my cancellation to Amerihost.com on April 30th. My account was set to bill on the 11th of May, so I wanted to make sure I didn't bill again.

Here is the first cancel ticket:

April 28th: [SUPPORT #XRQ-191822]: Support Request

http://helpdesk.amerihosting.com/ind...t&ticketid=980

Appears to have been deleted.

Here is another ticket I submitted after the first was ignored:

April 30th: [BILLING #IBJ-172957]: 2nd Request: Cancel my account

I had a conversation with them on this one making it QUITE clear I wanted to cancel, immediately. 8 parts, all still in my GMail account.

Then I get this a few days ago:

Dear xxxxx,
    This is a notice that an invoice has been generated on 05/16/2008.
    Your payment method is: Credit Card
    Invoice #913
    Amount Due: $45.00 USD
    Due Date: 05/17/2008

Obviously, they never cancelled the account. I open yet another ticket, telling them to cancel and threatening chargeback:

May 15th: [BILLING #SGJ-247744]: Re: Customer Invoice

Also appears to have been deleted. Now I got this:

Dear Brian Teeter,
    This is a payment receipt for Invoice 913 generated on 05/16/2008. The payment has been taken from your card on record with us automatically.
    Amount: $45.00 USD

So, basically they ignored my repeated, multiple requests for cancel. Even after I talked with one of them. They still charged my card.

Avoid these jokers at all costs. I'm going to the bank tomorrow and I will be getting the charges reversed.
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you have been billed after your cancellation request. Unfortunately the industry is moving away from customer service orientated to who has the biggest features. The shortfall here is that your unable to get in contact with someone.

Prior to calling your credit card company can I suggest to give them a call (they have a number on their site). Chargebacks cost us hosts money and while we have weeded out most of our chargebacks they do vary in cost. I assume if you contact them again informing them of your intentions they will act quick smart.

Robert
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Unfortunatlly some hosts continue to gouge their customers untill the last moment,
    many years ago and before I started my hosting business I had the same problem with addr.com
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by coight View Post
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you have been billed after your cancellation request. Unfortunately the industry is moving away from customer service orientated to who has the biggest features. The shortfall here is that your unable to get in contact with someone.

Prior to calling your credit card company can I suggest to give them a call (they have a number on their site). Chargebacks cost us hosts money and while we have weeded out most of our chargebacks they do vary in cost. I assume if you contact them again informing them of your intentions they will act quick smart.

Robert
    Yes I know that, but the way I see it, the $30ish Chargeback fee will be a nice lesson learned in customer service. Really there is no excuse after the number of times I have contacted and talked with them, that they did not cancel my account.
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Hmmm... one more sample that keeping customer in any way is very bad idea and maners as well. That scare away customers... Sad
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

This is definitely not a way to build a good reputation, and is a good way to kill any kind of reputation that the company may have formed.

I know if this happened to me personally I'd sing like a bird.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

the way I see it, the $30ish Chargeback fee will be a nice lesson learned in customer service.
    Yes, many customers probably feel the same way. It's still probably smartest to try and get a refund and cancellation from your host.

What I don't like is the risk of the host doing a poor job of it all, and finding yourself charged yet again next month. The bank would definitely be the first option then (IMHO).

The key to web hosting companys are SUPPORT bad support = no customers!

Unfortunately, he's only provided part of the events which occured. AmeriHosting requested that he provide his username and password, or the last 4 digits of the billed credit card for verification purposes. This ticket was replied to on the 30th of April. The ticket remained open until the 20th of May, with no reply.

He then opened several other tickets, in which is was referred back to his original ticket, still requesting the verification information.

With no reply from him on any of those tickets, he then sent in more tickets saying he will be doing a charge back, seeing as we never received verification, so we did not cancel the account.

At this time, we have resolved the issue with him, without the charge back, as he finally provided the verification information as requested. In our experience, just accepting anyone's word that they are really the account holder, without verification, is a bad idea, as that would lead to anyone being able to cancel or modify anyone else's account.

--
    Douglas A. Kuntz
    Chief Information Officer
    http://www.amerihosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by dkuntz View Post
    Unfortunately, he's only provided part of the events which occured. AmeriHosting requested that he provide his username and password, or the last 4 digits of the billed credit card for verification purposes. This ticket was replied to on the 30th of April. The ticket remained open until the 20th of May, with no reply.

He then opened several other tickets, in which is was referred back to his original ticket, still requesting the verification information.

With no reply from him on any of those tickets, he then sent in more tickets saying he will be doing a charge back, seeing as we never received verification, so we did not cancel the account.

At this time, we have resolved the issue with him, without the charge back, as he finally provided the verification information as requested. In our experience, just accepting anyone's word that they are really the account holder, without verification, is a bad idea, as that would lead to anyone being able to cancel or modify anyone else's account.

--
    Douglas A. Kuntz
    Chief Information Officer
    http://www.amerihosting.com
    It's always good to hear the other side of the story, thank you for taking the time to let us know and I'm glad it got sorted out.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/