Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting a mini datacenter

I would like to start a small datacenter within my home, i have about 10 dells server, and i was talking with XO about getting a 100mbits.

What are the steps i would need to start?
    What are the equipment i would need?

Thanks

I think this will be better discussed at the Colocation Forum. Moved.

Step 1) don't do it.

What about cooling? What about UPS? What about gensets?

small

Just a small 1 i dont need 100% uptime, i just would like to know wheat i would need.

i'm interested on how this will continue. so my thought you will need:

1. one dedicated room for server room (of course you don't want to hear the server noise when you sleep)
    2. good Air Cond. to cool down your servers.
    3. generator with enough power to power up your servers.
    4. UPS
    5. fire extinguisher
    HalfDedi.com • Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

question

Ok, now how would i get bandwith to the server? i just contacted XO for a price quote

I think after all the calculations it is still cheaper getting a cabinet/rack in a local datacenter.

Why not just get a full or half cab from a colo provider, and start building there?

If you really want to do this, you're going to need a switch. Cisco equipment's recommended. A good one is going to cost you a pretty penny.

Does your home have any fiber in it?
    How reliable is the power in your neighborhood?

I think getting fiber in your house is going to be far too costly for this to make sense.

Forget about uptime and reliability...
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

/subscribed..
    Jason

Sorry, I know everybody's trying to be helpful here and actually give advice, but I'm going to have to be the turd in the punchbowl and break it to the OP that turning your home into a datacenter will not work out as well as you think it will.

I'd start off by getting a rack for the 10 Dell servers. Depending on who your current internet provider is, you could upgrade to Business-class cable, in which case you could get a netblock for your servers and you'll actually be allowed to host servers on your connection.

If by some miracle XO actually agrees to put a fiber drop in your house, then you'll need to get a nice beefy router. I'd suggest Cisco Catalyst hardware - the 4000s and 5000s accept fiber uplink s and CIDR. The latest 4000 models also support BGP if you ever decide to multihome.

Again, sorry to be the turd in the punch bowl, but 100Mbit to a residence is something that no provider would never do for somewhat decent price.
    "When a man begins to doubt himself, he does something incredibly stupid and thereby is reassured."
    ::http://www.dustytech.net/:: Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by notmove View Post
    i just contacted XO for a price quote
    Once you get back the quote and see how much it's going to cost you, you'll probably reconsider this whole idea. Just rent a rack in a datacenter. Unless you live in a building that is already on-net with XO, it's probably going to be a lot cheaper to colo.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Thanks for the input, i was talking with xo and the price they gave me was $6 per mbit with minimum 100mbits

Thanks for the input, i was talking with xo and the price they gave me was $6 per mbit with minimum 100mbits
    6 per mbit with 100min == where do I sign up, our local cable for a fiber into our office quoted us about 100 a meg with a 20meg commit..but they would pay all the fees to get the fiber to us if we signed a 2year contract -- we just wanted it for steady uptime on our connection.. but damn that is very inexpensive....

The more you commit to, the cheaper price you can get, and it also depends on the quality of the provider.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

So, if this is true, and I'm assuming this is with at least one year contract. You're looking at $600/Month in bandwidth alone. Not to mention the cost of electricity, which prices have risen, and you're looking at having servers pull power 24/7. Plus cooling.

Also, pray you don't get a DDOS attack.

Is that quote from XO with "installation" fees included?

-fin
    Thales

XO loves to get you on installation fees

I got a quote for a 10mbit dedicated line from our local cable company, $75.00 per mbit. If I sign a 5 year contract they wave the installation costs, never inquired about the cost of installation. Considering our close proximity to one of their "switching stations" and offices, I'd assume the installation wouldn't cost too much. We decided to just go with a business-level cable connection, 15mbit/1mbit. Provided business continues profitably trending we may upgrade, but not to run a data center from our office. Although I like the idea of hands-on proximity, it would just cost too much. However, good luck if you intend to pursue this. WHT is a great place to dig up information on this subject.

-fin
    Thales

Talking thanks

thanks everyone for their input.

thanks everyone for their input.
    Your conclusion? If any.

none

I think most were right, im just going to do a colocation over at XO, I live close to them and they offered me a great price. But the only thing i was worrying about, if the server goes offline i would have to go there in the middle of the night.

I think most were right, im just going to do a colocation over at XO, I live close to them and they offered me a great price. But the only thing i was worrying about, if the server goes offline i would have to go there in the middle of the night.
    Ask for KVM over IP or a remote reboot console.

ok, Also which is better for colocation, XO or level3, as they are both close to where i live.

ok, Also which is better for colocation, XO or level3, as they are both close to where i live.
    And where do you live?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast