RackSpace Let Me Down Again....

Rackspace provides great uptime, however their ticket service is terrible. It takes them 3-4 hours to respond to normal tickets and 1-2 hours to respond to emergency tickets. If it's a real emergency they ask you to call them but when you call them the person never finishes what they are suppose to do. The person starts and then goes to dinner or their shift ends and nothing gets done.

Well I learned my lesson before and decided to call them instead of submitting a ticket. So I called them tonight at 6PM to tell them my website was hacked. The guy on the phone said it looked like it was a mysql injection. He said would remove some things and ask for a restore and I said okay fine and hung up. An hour passed and didn't receive an update via phone call or ticket. Where did this guy go? Well his shift probably ended. No sense in calling again since it won't leave a trail...

So I submit an emergency ticket on 2008-05-18 19:24:39
    No response until 22:05:07 they apologized for the extreme delay and said restore was starting.

Here it is 23:03:25 and my website still isn't restored.

This has happened to me 3 times already and it takes rackspace around 5-6 hours to do a simple restore (I have the support tickets to prove it).

I would understand if it was a crappy hosting company..but I am paying close to $500 a month for a server and expect better service. Does this happen to anyone else or am I an exception to the rule.

It's been 4 hr 22 min since I first submitted a ticket and around 5.5 hours since I first called them and my website still isn't restored properly...

Rackspace ticket #: 080518-01467
    Last edited by RichDad; 05-18-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Well on 23:55:34 they just completed the restore and told me everything is all set. However they must have missed the big "Database" error my site is giving!
    You think they would at least check the website...

My first question is why the hell has your site been hacked three times. What are you running, are you writing your own code have you asked them to install any security measures?

From my experience RackSpace is way overrated. It provides good uptime (which you can get at several lower-priced providers) and marginal support (which you can get better than at lower-priced providers).

A simple restore should be a quick, if not automated, process though. Not sure why it'd take so long to do, maybe their support is over-tasked.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

There is not much to say about RackSpace. It is the most reputable managed/dedicated host and it is also among the Top IT businesses in U.S. But every company has its weakness. That's why I should find the right way to communicate with their support.

Once any company becomes pretty big it's also becomes more bureaucratic and less flexible. But when it comes to Rackspace there is no doubt that they are reliable. You just need to organize your communication with them and to see whether it works for you or not.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

I contacted Rackspace, asking them to post something here and got what they always say.

"I am afraid I can not comment on that, though I am sorry to hear you or the person in that thread has had a bad experience with us. I would say, that our customer base and record speak for itself, in terms of the quality of our services and support. We aim to be the best, and our fanatical support is not just a gimmick, it is really something we strive to up hold. "

>> Then the chat seems to have ended.
    Kody R.
    US Datacenter Operations Manager
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth

I can't understunt how can you blame your ISP if your server got hacked.
    OMG. If it is managed, then it's different story, but still, who is in change of the software there is running?

Quote Originally Posted by PeHe View Post
    I can't understunt how can you blame your ISP if your server got hacked.
    OMG. If it is managed, then it's different story, but still, who is in change of the software there is running?
    Rackspace is a fully managed provider. The OP pays good money for Rackspace to manage his server.

Rackspace should be in charge of everything. Hence Fully Managed.

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Rackspace is a fully managed provider. The OP pays good money for Rackspace to manage his server.

Rackspace should be in charge of everything. Hence Fully Managed.
    Well in that case..
    Can't understunt is it really that hard for ISP todo what they promise.

Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by NOCKody View Post
    I contacted Rackspace, asking them to post something here and got what they always say.

"I am afraid I can not comment on that, though I am sorry to hear you or the person in that thread has had a bad experience with us. I would say, that our customer base and record speak for itself, in terms of the quality of our services and support. We aim to be the best, and our fanatical support is not just a gimmick, it is really something we strive to up hold. "

>> Then the chat seems to have ended.
    Why did you contact them to do that? Are you a client of theirs? It's kind of lame move, especially as a provider yourself.

Yes my server is fully managed and Rackspace could have done more and provided suggestions to help protect me after the first two times this has happened. I have been hacked 3 times in one week. Their response was to basically change my domain name because it "acts as a lighting bolt for hackers". They kept blaming vbulletin software even though I have all the latest patches and upgrades. After several hours rackspace told me in a ticket:

"There have been over 150 attempts by the 74.59.112.94 ip address in recent weeks and this attacker leveraged a c100.php php "shell" to access resources on your server."

This was last night and when I awoke this morning I had to tell Rackspace to ban this ip address! duh

Now the hacker has stolen my database and is trying to sell my database on his hacker forum. I contacted his host but haven't heard anything yet. I contacted the FBI and they sent me to www.cert.org and am awaiting a response. I would like to give two thumbs down to rackspace.

My homepage is accesissible but the innerpages STILL throws out a database error.
    Total time it's been un-operable: 16 hr 42 min ago +. They move slower than nails. Since it's now morning time in Texas lets see if they can move their butts a little. I would call RackSpace if I could but I'm at work. Not everyone can use the phone and that is why there are tickets right? Rackspace might as well just say they don't use tickets since they are so bad at response times.
    Last edited by RichDad; 05-19-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Are you only running vBulletin, or are there other scripts on the website? Also, certain vB hacks and mods could be vulnerable as most of the time they are made by the community, for free, and are not really secure, as that is how most vB attacks are performed.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

I am only running vbulletin and have removed most of the mods before the hack occured.

Well RackSpace just gets better. Since they did the restore and my website still isn't working properly they said the problem is out of their hands, but they can have their database team work on the issue for $150 an hour...shouldn't this be included in managed hosting? I'm not asking for the world just a simple restore people.

You should have read their TOS and AUP and made sure they can service you right before signing up, and reading up on what's included in their Fanatical Support to make sure they support this stuff. It might seem pretty simple to you, but it might actually be a bit more complicated than you think as they probably mean to clear out anything the hacker might have left over in your db.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

i had smiler problems as well i wouldn't recommend them

Quote Originally Posted by RichDad View Post
    I am only running vbulletin and have removed most of the mods before the hack occured.

Well RackSpace just gets better. Since they did the restore and my website still isn't working properly they said the problem is out of their hands, but they can have their database team work on the issue for $150 an hour...shouldn't this be included in managed hosting? I'm not asking for the world just a simple restore people.
    Now careful there: "managed" is a very subjective word. Their "managed" definition likely does not include these type of engagements, hence the additional charges. Don't assume "managed hosting" means the same to you as it does to your provider. Ask them what is included and give "for example.." scenarios to make sure you are on the same page.

Again, we've had more attrition from Rackspace due to your exact situation.(though the applications/websites were different of course.) Make sure you don't assume what kind of services you are entitled to. I'm sure RS has their service levels buried in a document somewhere - which is why the "for example.." questions are imperative.

Kind Regards,

Yes my server is fully managed and Rackspace could have done more and provided suggestions to help protect me after the first two times this has happened. I have been hacked 3 times in one week. Their response was to basically change my domain name because it "acts as a lighting bolt for hackers". They kept blaming vbulletin software even though I have all the latest patches and upgrades. After several hours rackspace told me in a ticket:

"There have been over 150 attempts by the 74.59.112.94 ip address in recent weeks and this attacker leveraged a c100.php php "shell" to access resources on your server."

This was last night and when I awoke this morning I had to tell Rackspace to ban this ip address! duh

Now the hacker has stolen my database and is trying to sell my database on his hacker forum. I contacted his host but haven't heard anything yet. I contacted the FBI and they sent me to www.cert.org and am awaiting a response. I would like to give two thumbs down to rackspace.

My homepage is accesissible but the innerpages STILL throws out a database error.
    Total time it's been un-operable: 16 hr 42 min ago +. They move slower than nails. Since it's now morning time in Texas lets see if they can move their butts a little. I would call RackSpace if I could but I'm at work. Not everyone can use the phone and that is why there are tickets right? Rackspace might as well just say they don't use tickets since they are so bad at response times.
    A few lines of good rules of mod-security should stop all these attacks yeat rackspace does not have a rules to stop a kids script?

The "c100.php" it's a kids deface script that a novice user can use to hack your server true a php hole/exploit on your application.

Ask rackspace to tweak your modsecurity rules.

I'm very suprise with this thread it's like water on the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    Now careful there: "managed" is a very subjective word. Their "managed" definition likely does not include these type of engagements, hence the additional charges. Don't assume "managed hosting" means the same to you as it does to your provider. Ask them what is included and give "for example.." scenarios to make sure you are on the same page.

Again, we've had more attrition from Rackspace due to your exact situation.(though the applications/websites were different of course.) Make sure you don't assume what kind of services you are entitled to. I'm sure RS has their service levels buried in a document somewhere - which is why the "for example.." questions are imperative.

Kind Regards,
    Agreed. But with what's been said about the security issue. Assuming this was Rackspace's responsibility, shouldn't the restore, and everything required to get the site back working be covered, since they failed to do their job?

Or am I asking for too much from them?

Just our of curiosity, what specifically is your forum "geared" toward? However, I agree that this thread is a surprise... I've read nothing but great reviews about Rackspace.

-fin
    Thales

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Agreed. But with what's been said about the security issue. Assuming this was Rackspace's responsibility, shouldn't the restore, and everything required to get the site back working be covered, since they failed to do their job?

Or am I asking for too much from them?
    RS's policies will determine if you're asking too much. We've found about 50% of RS's clients, that we've spoken to, are satisfied with their service/value proposition. Out of the ones that aren't, almost all have said that things were good until they had an issue, and the issues vary widely.

For us, it would be covered if it was our fault, but we don't know the whole situation, and RS might have a good reason for handling things the way they did.

Kind Regards,

After about 18 hours+ rackspace FINALLY got my site working again. I told them I shouldn't have to pay $150 since I've waited over 16 hours for there butts to restore my site. After 10-15 minutes I got no response so agreed to pay the hourly charge but will take things up with their managers once they fix things. They wrote back saying they will try again to repair the databases.

I'm willing to hire someone to make sure my server won't get hacked again.

I totally agree with the comment made below:

We've found about 50% of RS's clients, that we've spoken to, are satisfied with their service/value proposition. Out of the ones that aren't, almost all have said that things were good until they had an issue....

After about 18 hours+ rackspace FINALLY got my site working again. I told them I shouldn't have to pay $150 since I've waited over 16 hours for there butts to restore my site. After 10-15 minutes I got no response so agreed to pay the hourly charge but will take things up with their managers once they fix things. They wrote back saying they will try again to repair the databases.

I'm willing to hire someone to make sure my server won't get hacked again.

I totally agree with the comment made below:
    Well you can make it harder but "won't happend again" is another thing.

If this is a 1 site on a hole server than you should be able to tweak some security rules very well (depending on the type of site).

Any way good luck to you!

Sounds like they have too many chickens in one pot. Go with a smaller company with better customer service.