Something that just "annoys" me!

Well, here's something that just...well..annoys me. Some good companies out there, really large ones, provide 24/7 support, right? Well, that's a good thing..but what about sales?

There are some large companies that have really nice support. I mean it's like world class...yet...sales questions take days to get an answer.

Why do most large companies (no names) have sales closed on weekends? I mean if it was a small web hosting company, sure, that's understandable. But some of those large, well known ones should provide atleast 12 hours of sales - even 8 a day would suffice.

I mean..if you order a server, let us say, on Friday and it takes 48 hours to setup....it should be done by Sunday. Right? Well..some companies out there, many actually, don't operate their sales department that sends the servers on Sunday. It just gets annoying that these representatives can easily handle sales and support 24/7...if it's a big company

What annoys me even more is that some companies have staff members that provide both sales and support. But, they have limited sales office "hours" and support "hours". I mean..if person X answers support ticket saying "Problem Solved." and you send person X a sales ticket 10 minutes later..he says "The sales office is closed, sorry, we can speak on Monday at 9am!" That just annoys me, simply because the person who handles sales..well..is right there

Anyways, I'm not complaining or anything- I'm just saying most hosts do this and even large companies (not hosting, sometimes softwares, etc) and should really upgrade their sales capabilities- since they have a large client base waiting!

-Shikhir

Hi,

It is just a common practice for many companies/businesses to operate sales/billing only on business days and even only business hours for many, so it is common for these traditions to carry over for some hosting companies. But as we can see that is not the case for hosting in large, as many are becoming more and more automated and even sales/billing are 24/7 if not very close to 24/7 to stay competitive.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

You raise many good points, and I agree. If everything is running smoothly, you shouldn't get a lot of support tickets, and so some of those reps can do sales as well.

Yeah, but what REALLY annoys me- again- is that if "Bob" (example) replies to a ticket for support fixing it, and you submit a sales question, "Bob" will say that the sales offices closed; and that HE will answer the question on the next weekday.

The thing is- he's right there! I mean on Monday, 7AM, he's going to answer my question. Why not answer it 12 hours before?

Some companies are strict about this policy, even if its a critical issue

Now that's just lazy

In my opinion, if the representative has the knowledge to answer the question, then he should take care of. I think that goes to work ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by InveHosting View Post
    You raise many good points, and I agree. If everything is running smoothly, you shouldn't get a lot of support tickets, and so some of those reps can do sales as well.
    My secret is out, as to how i can still manage to get a tan in the sun yet provide hosting .

Damnn u now where is my trained hitman bunny !!

I think you are right about that point energizer_bunny.

Recently I've had a mishap with one of my servers. I contacted the DC on Friday, and placed the order for the OS re-install and add-on software and since it was Friday and the Sales Dept. was closed by the time I had the chance to make the transaction I have to wait until Monday for the Sales/Billing Dept. to get back in and give the Tech. Support Dept. the go ahead on the issue.

It's unfortunate but most large companies get large by pinching the pennies right? 2 extra day's of pay for 8 hours is a good amount of money.

So long as everything is written clearly, and I know what to expect before I place my order, then I'm not annoyed. For my experience it's more the unexpected side of things that is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-HPHWOW View Post
    It's unfortunate but most large companies get large by pinching the pennies right? 2 extra day's of pay for 8 hours is a good amount of money.
    Actually they get away with it because customers put up with it. If customers would stand up for themselves and not continue to do business with companies whose practices they disagree with, then perhaps these companies wouldn't be so large...

What customers are doing is telling companies that the company's operations choices are OK, because they continue to do business with them.

Then again, perhaps it is just human nature to put up with mediocrity... we all do it... we don't change our ways until it causes more pain to stay put, rather than change.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

So long as everything is written clearly, and I know what to expect before I place my order, then I'm not annoyed.
    Well reasoned there.

Plus, why would a company have to be open 24/7 for business? The web has no night time, but the people and the business do, or may have.

A trouble that I think some customers have, is that they assume sales/billing will only be needed in the early stages of their experience with a host. Later on, due to whatever reason, they find themselves having to wait on billing/sales to handle their particular issue. "Spoiled" by 24/7 support, waiting 24+ hours for an answer really irritates them.

I agree that tech should be 24/7 and that if the same people man the tech and the sales departments, then both should be 24/7. But if an entire different staff handles the sales, then I can see not having it manned 24/7. One thing that irritates me is that installations at my host are handled by sales even though no money transacts. I would think that would be a tech thing, not a sales thing. Anyway, no biggie, I just realize I need to wait longer for sales/billing replies.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

If a business does business mostly with businesses, then it makes sense for that business to have the same hours, or at least keep a similar work week. If it costs $X amount have employees working over the weekend, and they pull in less profit during that time than the costs involved, it makes sense to not do sales on the weekend.

I'm sure if a large company found it profitable, they'd do it I'm also sure that some do!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design