Liquid Web vs. PowerVPS: Which is better?

A partner and I are in the beginning stages of consolidating our website operations.

I have a managed dedicated server account with Liquid Web whom I am extremely happy with. I have been with them for about 4 years and have nothing but good experiences with them. They have always been there for me.

My partner is with PowerVPS. He is just as happy with them as I am with Liquid Web and has nothing but good things to say about them and their services.

With that said, we only need one. I have compared the plans and prices for fully managed dedicated servers on both sites and it does appear that Liquid Web is slightly more expensive between the two for similar specs. However, the most important issue with me (as well as my partner) is not price...but the level of support we get for the price.

What other factors can any of you provide about either Liquid Web or PowerVPS that we may have overlooked in the comparison process?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Well certainly Liquid Web have a pretty amazing network, they own their own facilities and you have to consider upgrade costs also.

I'd stay with LiquidWeb... down time is becoming a common occurrence at PowerVPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Node2Go View Post
    Well certainly Liquid Web have a pretty amazing network, they own their own facilities and you have to consider upgrade costs also.
    Yes, this is one of the things I am aware of regarding LW. Is this not the case with Power VPS?

I've used Power VPS in the past.

I had a VPS package with them for around a year and a half. Things were great until the last six months or so with my time with them. Their support was always pretty good, no real complaints about that at all. I just found that their equipment wasn't up to standard. I've heard in the past that they overload their systems a little, whilst this isn't something you can prove unless you have access to their systems, it certainly felt like that which is sub-sequentially why we just had to move away. Also, whenever you had a complaint, you had to seek higher management to get anything done, the support staff just expected you to carry on as normal. We had outage after outage, not for long periods of time (1-3hrs max) but consistently throughout a period of a month. I think we ended up with about 95% up time in one month, simply not good enough for us.

My experiences are based on using them throughout 2007, we moved to new providers in December 07.

I've never used Liquid Web, but I'm looking around for a VPS as a backup server so may give them a try.....

Interesting comments.

Just to comment from a person who has a dedicated server with Liquid Web and a couple VPSs from Power VPS, both have been very good and I haven't had any problems arise with either that would be considered unacceptable.

That being said though, I would have to say that ticket response times are better with Power VPS. But at the same time, if it is critical, with Liquid Web I just call the 800 number and the issue gets worked on immediately.

Because of the instant access with the toll free number, my more critical websites go on my Liquid Web server as it gives me more peace of mind.
    Adam

I wouldn't go back to Power VPS. If I have had to move away from a company, which in itself was for serious reasons, you've lost my business permanently as far as I'm concerned.

As I say, their support isn't half bad. They seem to have some quite skilled people, they are also willing to go beyond the role of normal duty. It just seems their equipment lets them down, certainly in my case. Whether that is because of overload or simply dated equipment, I'm not sure.

No harm in giving both of them a go for a period of 3 months. See which company comes out on top. A lot of these providers operate the same, they have good times, they have dreadful times, it boils down to reliability based over a period of time.

I've got a Windows VPS from PowerVPS, they've taken such good care of me I gotta stick up for them here. They were running Virtuozzo when we first got our server. It wasn't very stable, which they openly admitted to and that they were actively seeking a better solution. They switched us over to an MSVS asap and we haven't had one second of down time since that wasn't my fault. Their support has always gone above and beyond to help us with any of our issued we had.

Liquid may be just as good, but I can't see how anyone could be much better than PowerVPS.

-Andrew

A truly minor point is that the Liquid Web site loudly offers dedicateds from $149/mo; but, when I went to order a bare-bones server for in-house mail the price appeared to jump 20% to $184/mo.

Contrary to my first impression, it turns out that one can strip a $189/mo. server to $149/mo. -- undoubtedly a marketing strategy decision.

So I'm glad to hear that Liquid Web has delt fairly rather than slyly with customers.

Aza

Quote Originally Posted by JonHalliburton View Post
    You should see the emails he sent me, they are quite funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uvex View Post
    I've used Power VPS in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by afrederc View Post
    Just to comment from a person who has a dedicated server with Liquid Web and a couple VPSs from Power VPS, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo3120 View Post
    I've got a Windows VPS from PowerVPS....

Can you all please provide the staff with proof of your dealings with this company? You may submit it to us in confidence at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/

Quote Originally Posted by CArmstrong View Post
    Can you all please provide the staff with proof of your dealings with this company? You may submit it to us in confidence at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/
    You mean proof that we've dealt with them, or proof of good/bad dealings with them?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo3120 View Post
    You mean proof that we've dealt with them, or proof of good/bad dealings with them?
    Just proof that you've dealt with them. A domain you have hosted with them (if you're still there now) or anything that tells us you were hosted there in the past.