Really affordable dedicated hosting?

Every webhost I see that offers dedicated hosting always sticks with the same price range: $60 - $90 for crap Celerons/P4s, $160 - $220 for Xeons, and $250+ for better servers. Is there a reliable host that offers much lower prices and has a reliable network? I am currently using The Planet and for years have been paying $260 with tech support and heck that is extra money that could be in my pocket with a cheaper service. My current Dual Xeon 2.4ghz is overkill since the CPU load is never high and pushes all 12 of my sites with ease since they are all optimized and coded to never cause large loads.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington View Post
    Every webhost I see that offers dedicated hosting always sticks with the same price range: $60 - $90 for crap Celerons/P4s, $160 - $220 for Xeons, and $250+ for better servers. Is there a reliable host that offers much lower prices and has a reliable network? I am currently using The Planet and for years have been paying $260 with tech support and heck that is extra money that could be in my pocket with a cheaper service. My current Dual Xeon 2.4ghz is overkill since the CPU load is never high and pushes all 12 of my sites with ease since they are all optimized and coded to never cause large loads.
    The offers section definitely has dual xeons for less than $100. You'd just have to spend some time scouring through the free form advertizing mess ;)

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

ClearanceRack has them for $74 i believe.
    VT BankCard
    Payment Processing Solutions and Merchant Services
    Specializing in WebHosting and High Risk Merchants.

OOOH the website is http://clearancerack.ca He colocates in Canada.
    VT BankCard

Hmm yes ClearanceRack does have some good prices but too bad once you addon the regular features such as Cpanel, 10 IPs, and 2GB Bandwidth it totals out to the normal price.

I may go with the Intel Core II though might as well upgrade for only $20 more. BTW are those Canadian prices or USD?

I don't think you'll find MUCH lower prices with reliable hosts, but you will find specials for sure. Have you checked the offers section on WHT lately? I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Also, you might be a good candidate for VPS. You can get into a hefty server for a fraction of the costs. I am anxious to be talking and hearing more about VPS as it becomes more and more popular.
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

Those are USD pricing. With the way the Economy is, its all the same anyways :p
    VT BankCard

Yup I was going to edit my post since I forgot that the CAD is about the same as the USD now

I remembered that you have discussed this before and thought that you changed to a better server, price. Anyway, this is confusing me:
    I am currently using The Planet and for years have been paying $260 with tech support
    Are you paying $260/mo for tech support/management service with The Planet?
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

No I factored in the server cost plus the management price with a third party. No I am still using the same server and you may be referring to my topic where I asked if Conroes are faster than Xeons.

At $160 you should be able to find a dual xeon or newer multi-core xeon solution even with paying additional for management.

Perhaps peruse the offers section and then do a quick WHT search on any providers that catch your eye.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

I think SagoNet is right, you would suit VPS. I think if you want specs towards Dedicated level in a VPS, try Hybrid. webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=694145 - Server Complete have some HOT offers down there.

My current Dual Xeon 2.4ghz is overkill since the CPU load is never high and pushes all 12 of my sites with ease since they are all optimized and coded to never cause large loads.
    Are you sure you need a dedicated server?

Should I choose the 64bit OS? Please answer ASAP

oops edit nm

What OS do you have and what type of sites are those?

Sorry I edited my post and created a separate topic about it. I just have normal websites but was wondering if the 64bit OS was faster or something.

re 64bit os

I have tried both. If your cpu is capable of it I feels a bit faster to me. It's particularly good if you want to use > 4gb ram on a non server mb (from what you say I doubt it). Centos setup is identical with either 32 or 64 bit.

If your running a control panel support for that might be a factor. I don't know since I don't use cp's.

Ok thanks and yeah I plan to use Cpanel. The tech guy at the Planet said that if I use a 64bit CPU that I should use a 64bit OS.

Ok thanks and yeah I plan to use Cpanel. The tech guy at the Planet said that if I use a 64bit CPU that I should use a 64bit OS.
    Hope that isn't an exact quote. Sure you didn't hear anything else?

Nope that is what he said:

"Not a problem, was a pleasure helping you. Concerning the 32bit or 64bit version, if the server you upgrade to has a 64bit processor it has to be Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - x86_64. If you get a 32bit processor, you would have to select 32bit."