Personal Hosting Community

I have recently read something about a personal hosting community.

To give a short desciption, it was a community of persons who needed Webspace for their Website or Projects, a Webmail without Ads like Freemailer as Yahoo or Gmail but with the option to use their own domains.

One member rents a dedicated server and they place ads on the main site and a member forum, the server is paid from the ads and member participation.

It should be much cheaper than usuall hosting.

And the performance should be much better, as you have 100Mbs for say 10-50 Members.

Has anybody experienced something like that or know any samples?

Whats your opinion of such a modell?

Can it work?, Compared to Freehosting? With No Ads or even with ads.

I would appreciate any comment!

I don't think so. Someone has to administrate the machine and you still have to pay for using it. If all... let's say 50 website go fine then the performance will be much poor then you think.

I can not compare this to free hosting at all because someone from the group stil has to pay.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Continue

50 Sites was a sample, I think a dedeicated server can handle more than 50 Sites, usually a freehosting server can handle 500 or even 5000 sites... sure the performance is not perfect but still.

If you have 500 people its about 50 Cent/ Month means total 6$ a year and this is really cheap compared to Dreamhost or Bluehost.

Ads could balance this if they use the Webmail.

Does anybody know a software to install a centralized webmailer?

Means to control the ads from one account?

greets

js

Here is some basic math:

1 Server: $150/month
    1 really cheap admin guy: $10/hr x 30 hours per month: $300.00

Total: $450.00

Each of the 50 members pay:
    $450.00 / 50 = $9.00/month

I doubt ads would equal $9.00 per person. I also doubt that 1 server admin could watch the server 24x7.

Based on the above, I would much rather spend $9.00/month or less with an established company that has 24x7 support.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Let's use the 500 people example:

1 Server: $150.00/mo
    At least 2 really cheap admins: ($10/hr x 30) x 2 = $600.00/mo

Total: $750/mo

$750.00 / 500 = $1.50 per person

Again, I doubt you would make $750 off of showing ads to 500 people each month. If you did have to collect money from the 500 to make up for lack of advertising revenue, you would then have to factor in the fees you would pay for accepting payments.

Personally, I would still feel more comfortable paying an established company a few more dollars per month for quality service.

$500 / 500 = $1.00
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

You can build something cheap as a server and colocate it somewhere, but you'll still have to have someone administrate this for you.

For something with multiple websites being added, then the admin will most likely want some sort of control panel, otherwise virtual hosting can start to consume a lot of his or her time.

Most webmail software out there in the Open Source community do not contain any ads at all. The webmail ads that you see at gmail and such are simply ads to help pay for their service, just like you are using ads to pay for your free hosting.

Another solution to your email problem may be that if you are a legit US non-profit or K-12 non-profits you can use Google Apps Education Edition (you just have to be a legit non-profit). Then you can use gmail webmail without ads and with some extras.

Answer

My idea was following

I take a dedicated server from www.Hetzner.de propably cheapest on the market starts at just 77$ rent cpanel and go to PSM or seekadmin, more propably PSM because they are cheaper.

Means it costs total:

77$ Server, PSM 29$, Cpanel propably 38$

The 150$ would include all adminstation.

144$ for more than 500 people:

is 0,29$ /Month thats about 2 klicks or even on at Adsense in average.

That my calculation...
    Last edited by jsrobotnics; 05-19-2008 at 04:05 AM.

There's certainly cheaper on the market. I wouldn't say reliable. But they are out there, especially for using older P3 or P4 boxes. You should also look at the bandwidth and if there's a commit, how much you can burst to and such.

I don't know about now, but both PSM and SeekAdmin used to get favorable reviews here.

As for a control panel, I do personally suggest Direct Admin, but I think PSM only does cPanel don't they? If they do, you may be able to get it cheap from them as well.

Either way, cPanel and Direct Admin both come with webmail applications and of course, you can use an email client with those as well such as OutLook or Thunderbird.

I think that cheaper and cheaper and cheaper that is not motto for web hosting search. I think that the main things are personal point of view on the things. Anyway that comes through own good or bad experience.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Thanks

The site is pretty what I was thinking about, but they dont seem to be very sucessfull.

That's not necessarily a result of the model not working.

Maybe whoever owns it doesn't put as much emphasis on marketing as you would, or they have other projects/job taking up much of their time away from this one, or they've reached the $X000 per month in profit that makes them happy, don't care to push it much forward, and just enjoy the ride instead.