Godaddy DNS system is all screwed up

I recently changed a domain name on one of my accounts and for some odd reason the old domain is still pointing at the account. I tried adding a URL redirect on the domain and actually changed the nameservers but it's STILL pointing. I don't know what to make of this to be honest with you.

It will take between 48 till 72 h for the dns propagation when you change the name servers and if you did this there is no need for redirection
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Url redirection normally doesn't take that long. I changed the nameservers after the url redirection didn't work. I don't see how your domain can still be pointing at your hosting account when it's no longer assigned to that account.

URL propagation has taken me 48 hours in the past, the .com domains in my experience are much quicker to propagate than the others.

gregdavidson,

You are updating name servers to a new host correct? I would change the name servers through your godaddy control panel and wait. I know waiting is horrid but nothing can make it happen faster.

Make sure you delete the redirection so that doesn't interfere (it shouldn't anyway but you never know). With my experience with GoDaddy it does take up to 72 solid hours for the dns propogation. Be patient, change the name servers and wait that's all you can do. If after 3 days it still isn't updated then you need to talk with GoDaddy support.

Good Luck!

.com and .net change immediately at the root tld servers.

So, if you check there it will seem to be immediate.

However, they hand out ttl's of 72 hours on all NS and related glue.

Therefore, if a dns cache has hit them for the NS records just before the change, it is not obligated to update before 72 hours has passed. Indeed, some will exceed the 72 hours.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Use OpenDNS and if you really want to see the site or redirect just refresh their cache, they will go and get the current one . Usually most ISPs that provide home service will hold the cache's for atleast 1-2 days, which is why I use OpenDNS.

opendns is not going to help the OP very much because he can't control what dns caches his users have set on their computers.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

.com's and .net's can indeed propagate almost instantly, however, ISP cache's don't always.

Both links in your signature resolve for me gregdavidson, assuming one or both of those were what you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    opendns is not going to help the OP very much because he can't control what dns caches his users have set on their computers.
    True, his users won't see it, but atleast he will still be able to access it.

Should one go with GoDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter349 View Post
    Depends; for what and why?

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter349 View Post
    No.

They are treacherous. Shared hosting performance is often pathetic, with lackluster customer service.

As a registrar, they are dangerous. They tried to hijack one of my domains once, and that's not an unusual issue.

There are lots and lots of other options. Keep checking.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

It took a little way but it finally switched over. That was pretty odd because I've never had that happen to me before in the past 3 years I've been using Godaddy.com.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavidson View Post
    It took a little way but it finally switched over. That was pretty odd because I've never had that happen to me before in the past 3 years I've been using Godaddy.com.
    Yeah, it may have been your ISP's DNS Cache or even your own local DNS cache as well. To flush your own DNS Cache if in Windows just click START > Run... > cmd (then click OK) > (in the command prompt type) ipconfig /flushdns

There isn't really anything that you can do about your ISP's DNS cache, but wait.

been with godaddy for 2years.. never had that kind of problem.

Often happens, and times taken for propagations can vary dramatically, sometimes its instant for me, other times it can take over 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    No.

They are treacherous. Shared hosting performance is often pathetic, with lackluster customer service.

As a registrar, they are dangerous. They tried to hijack one of my domains once, and that's not an unusual issue.

There are lots and lots of other options. Keep checking.
    Do you have any personal experience with their shared hosting services?

Alex

Lol, I have a Domain through them and it was so hard because they changed the style of it to get it to go to my new host. I hate it full of clutter.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Do you have any personal experience with their shared hosting services?

Alex
    Yes, from April through December of 2006.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I've never had problems with Godaddys DNS, its always been fast for me.
    Host Genesis Home | Shared Hosting Plans | Reseller Hosting Plans | VPS Hosting Plans
    Use the coupon code "hbspecialdis" and receive 40% off any Yearly Paid plan! VPS Plans Do Not Count.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler333 View Post
    I've never had problems with Godaddys DNS, its always been fast for me.
    I wouldn't worry about that with any major domain registrar. I am concerned about other things, which I've already discussed in previous messages.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I think if you change your TTL values to something small before the move you can avoid all these delays.
    Phil McKerracher