so dot5 isn't all that good

A few months ago, I bought hosting from dot5 for 2 of my sites. One thing conditional would be that we needed Tomcat JSP running.

At first, the support was great. However, on this one issue, it has been beyond poor.

- Several tickets via their support system
    - several messages from several of my programmers as well as me via IM
    - at least 3 emails

They have failed to upgrade to a better version of Tomcat, and recently have not responded to IM.

Our site is almost completely built around JSP. We have been unable to open our site www.librawars.com AT ALL (for 2+ months!) because of this issue, and for this, I have yet to pay for this months hosting. I feel that since I signed on as a condition of hosting to have JSP up and running, their failure to do so is a valid reason to withold payment. My site has been worthless because of this, yet why pay hosting fees? I can host just my forums (which take up little space) for a lot less.

I know some, if not most here, as web hosts will back dot 5... but see it from my point of view: I am not making the money I would have, I'm losing money right now paying programmers to do NOTHING because our host has yet to get their software fixed, or work with us on this matter.

I suggest you look for another host if you're losing this much money?
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Herteic, i suggest you change host
    Western Man

It often suprises me that people complain 1-2 months after something happens. A good example is our recent move from Rackshack.

We emailed each user on the email address they supplied. Multiple times. We then moved their data sent them a welcome email. This was 1 month ago, and we are still receiving emails "my site has been down for four weeks" and they come from the address where we sent emails.

Do these people even care about their sites? If it was that important you would have located another host, instead of spending 2 months on a host that does not fit your requirements.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Well, I believe (if I understood well) that you shouldn't be that patient. You should have moved long time ago.

Although I really can't understand, how you have accepted to lose money and have programmers on standby for 2 months. Believe me sounds strange to the rest of the people..ok sounds strange to me.

I suggest you to get your own dedicated server so you'll have the choice of software installled and you'll be able to configure it in order to fit your needs.

Originally posted by Myacen
    It often suprises me that people complain 1-2 months after something happens. A good example is our recent move from Rackshack.

We emailed each user on the email address they supplied. Multiple times. We then moved their data sent them a welcome email. This was 1 month ago, and we are still receiving emails "my site has been down for four weeks" and they come from the address where we sent emails.

Do these people even care about their sites? If it was that important you would have located another host, instead of spending 2 months on a host that does not fit your requirements.
    Myacen actually the facts of your company have nothing to do with this thread...a totally different situation...they guy had access to his site....the Tomcat was the problem if I unsderstood well and I don't think that there was a missed communication the whole problem. It was the difficulties of dot5 to make Tomcat work properly and the fact that the user has been strangely too much patient.

You should be more careful...before say if someone cares about his site or not.

In any case i agree that the user acted in the wrong way. I would say that he was 'too much patient' , which can be a normal human attitude.

Well, I think you need to re-read my post, because you missed some very important parts. Such as repeated conversations getting nowhere, then finally completely dropping off. You don't understand that I have KNOWN my site has not been working. I do not like to switch hosts at the drop of a hat. The DNS/database transfers are irritating, as well as the downtime.

EDIT:

http://forums.dot5hosting.com/showth...hp?threadid=13

http://forums.dot5hosting.com/showth...hp?threadid=26

Just part of my attempts...

Originally posted by MikeMc

I suggest you to get your own dedicated server so you'll have the choice of software installled and you'll be able to configure it in order to fit your needs.

That option is out of my price range.

Maybe you should look into a VDS.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Heretic,

I am very sorry that you are so dissatisfied with our hosting.
    I understand that Tomcat is extremely important to your site.
    The first ticket you opened since I have been working for Dot5hosting.com was on 7/13/02 and you stated:

We still need to be able to access the tomcat output, we are unable to build/use our site until then.

to which my reply the next day was:

"Also tell me what exactly you need access to as far as Tomcat Output. If you know what file the Output you need is in, or what it is called, please let me know so that I can get you set up for whatever you need."

And the ticket was then closed 3 days later with the following note:
    Closing ticket, no response from EU

I heard nothing more about the issue and assumed that you had figured it out until 7/28/02 when you opened a new ticket stating:

I need tomcat to be able to access the file, we've tried it everywhere, to no avail. (summarized to withhold private information)

And my reply the same day was:

"Please test it out now. Let me know how it goes.
    In fact, if this does not help, could you please tell me how to test it, so that I can try some other modifications and test them myself
    to troubleshoot the problem?"

And the ticket was closed on 8/3/02

I really would like to resolve this situation, but since Tomcat is such a complicated offering, I am no expert with it. In fact, I have very little knowledge at all of the programming side of its usage.

I did happen to notice something that could be at least part of the problem while looking back through your tickets to make this reply.
    You stated that the error you received was:

javax.servlet.ServletException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission /home/username/mainwebsite_html/WEB-INF/classes/filename.xml read)

Which is the path to the file by route through your user directory.
    You should edit the configuration so that the path to the "filename.xml" is as follows:

/var/www/html/WEB-INF/classes/filename.xml

I would certainly imagine that this could AT LEAST resolve some of the permission errors.

As stated, I would like to assist you with this as much as I can.
    I would however require communication to improve between the two of us. I realize completely that communication breakdowns are never one sided, and that I could have made a better effort to get confirmation from you about whether the problem was resolved or not. And for that, I apologize.

Regards,

Tony Kammerer
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-01-2002 at 12:11 AM.

I'll try the new path- however, I wish that I didn't have to post anything here just to get a response.

I will have my programmer contact you as soon as we get a result.

We have also asked for permission to the Tomcat folder. That would allow us to fix any/all problems ourselves. You even offered to move us to a new server alone (before you add more sites to it) so we'd be able to get full access without affecting other sites, and I never heard anything else of it.

I guess we can finish this via email then

Smile

I hope your problem has been solved.

As soon as we had the problem, we began to compain. Im an admin over at www.librawars.com. Because of this problem, 2 weeks after we saw that tomcat was still not working, we had to set up a dedicated server running out of my home because as heretic said, to do it remotly would be too costly. This sopposly temp server is still up and running. We can't run the site though off my cable modem, it would be unpractical. We like dot5 but we badly need it fixed. The big part of librawars, our jsp engine, needs tomcat to run.

Originally posted by IcyGeddon

As soon as we had the problem, we began to compain. Im an admin over at www.librawars.com. Because of this problem, 2 weeks after we saw that tomcat was still not working, we had to set up a dedicated server running out of my home because as heretic said, to do it remotly would be too costly. This sopposly temp server is still up and running. We can't run the site though off my cable modem, it would be unpractical. We like dot5 but we badly need it fixed. The big part of librawars, our jsp engine, needs tomcat to run.
    Wait a sec, now, how come you didn't answer their replies to you on the support ticket system? Or was there more communication than Dot5 has stated in the post above?

Re: so dot5 isn't all that good

Originally posted by heretic

- Several tickets via their support system
    - several messages from several of my programmers as well as me via IM
    - at least 3 emails

but alas, the issue is being worked on right now, and things are moving again