Q's about VPS/Dedicated/Managed

Hi guys i thought this would be the best place to ask about these three... i was hoping you could help.

We have a website which uses a lot of system resources and was suggested VPS and Dedicated and Semi Dedicated... could somebody tell me how they are different.. VPS/Managed/Dedicated...?

Which option would be the cheapest?
    Which one will allow me to host multiple sites...?
    Which would allow me to hold websites and a few other things..?

Last but not least if i decided to run a box from home where can i allocate bandwidth from... for just a site or two sites... i would most probably need 30gb bandwidth per month... i know of people like "the planet" etc... who provide bandwidth if im correct... but not sure how all the setting up works and how much they are likely to charge me..

Could anybody tell me exactly what will be involved and how much it will cost me... just want to get my head round it breifly first then i can think about complications.

Cheers
    Kayz

Hi,

The difference between VPS and Dedicated is that with VPS, you share with other VPS in the same server while with Dedicated, you have the whole Dedicated just for you. With Managed this means that Managing of Server is handled by the DC or 3rd Party Management Company but what is included in Management Plan differs per company so you need to ask them out first.

The cheapest will be Managed VPS and all of them allows you host unlimited sites and both also allow you host websites and more, you just need to watch on your resources.

With the bw, it will depend on your location and provide, but I think it is still better for you to get a vps or dedicated.

I suggest that you search the Offers section, and then email the providers and ask them your requirements.

Good Luck

Cheers,
    Bobby

Thanks for your reply Webby.

Ok the website uses a lot of system resources.. Would VPS be ok in terms of system resources.. bearing in mind it uses something just above what you would use on a shared enviroment... nothing too major but something just a little bit more when it comes to using up system resources... or would it be a dedicated?

Thanks.
    Kayz

If you go with a dedicated server, then you are ensured that for the medium term; you will not have to worry about growth. VPS is a software solution that compartmentalizes resources; and unless you are sure of your growth and resource use, I would not recommend them.

The best way to think of VPS is think of a virtual machine. For all applications running in this machine, they think they are on a dedicated hardware box. However, this "machine" is actually running along side other "machines" (VPS) on one physical box.

Its just shared hosting with some added frills
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Burhan View Post
    If you go with a dedicated server, then you are ensured that for the medium term; you will not have to worry about growth. VPS is a software solution that compartmentalizes resources; and unless you are sure of your growth and resource use, I would not recommend them.

The best way to think of VPS is think of a virtual machine. For all applications running in this machine, they think they are on a dedicated hardware box. However, this "machine" is actually running along side other "machines" (VPS) on one physical box.

Its just shared hosting with some added frills
    Hmmm i see... well this is the problem.

We are on a shared server and we are fine and have been for years.. but recently we updated the vb to 3.0 and also added a modification called vbseo now together they use up quite a lot of server resources (but not always) the other day the technicians were running an audit i believe and disabled our account for the face that we were using a lot of resources up.

We told them we will move from the beta vbseo modification down to a more stable vbseo which was released. The support guy insisted we shut down vbseo altogether as it was quite intense as it was just one script pulling the server down. But after we made the change we have been fine since with the host and they havent said anything... or maybe they havent noticed or didnt run an audit like they did before.

Problem is we paid a years hosting and we have 30 day money back gurantee. I think we will get our money back and go for a safer option as currently we will be limited to how much we can do and update.

We have 15-20 users online at anytime which our host have told us is fine and shouldnt be a problem, but with regards to updating some of our modules that use up a lot of server resources we are looking for something just a tiny bit better than shared hosting. So if im right VPS would be the way to go?
    Kayz

We were in a similar situation. We run a vBulletin forum with vbseo (which works wonders!!) and our shared host kicked us off because we were using too many server resources, and there weren't enough mysql connections to go around. That said, our forum was getting around 400 people online at a time.

Going for a VPS would be better, as once your forum starts getting popular, you'll quite likely start adding more and more mods to keep them interesting. I know my forum has some 20+ mods.

I personally went full blown for a dedicated server, but VPS is a good stepping stone. There are some good offers in the offers section.

If you are after managed services, I highly recommend LiquidWeb, who offer both managed VPS' and Dedicated Servers.