iWeb is a joke. Stay away.

iWeb is a joke. Ever since I got my server online with you all. it has been one problem after another. And no one will even try and fix it.

Every morning right at 9:30 am est the server gets real slow with a very high load, but there are no processes using anymore then 1% cpu usage.

No one can seem to fix that.

I send them this in a ticket.
    When ever I try and do something on the server that may take a while
    like download a backup of my database through phpmyadmin The server
    load increases a lot. It will go up over 100 and basically kills the
    box, and I can not figure out any way too fix this.

The odd part is it only happens when it gets to 128mb. the server
    process php, and kswapd0 start using a lot of CPU and cause the load
    too go up as far as I can tell.

I find it odd that, it only happens when the download gets too 128mb
    completed.
    And I get this reply, a full day later.
    Hi,

You shouldn't try to upload a database file that big via phpMyAdmin.
    This is not done for this kind of job.

You should transfer this database with the command line.

Contact us if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Even a ticket marked as urgent takes forever to get a reply too.

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about nor is it a fix to anything. I can't even seen that they logged into my box to look at anything.

The only real response I get from anyone is too reload the OS and cpanel. but they will change me $70 to that, and that is not right when its a bad install from the start.

I should not have to pay to fix this issue.

My advice do not go with iweb, they are not worth a dime.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

Good luck, I too have a little different with they guys...

Maybe pma compresses the date before sending them and that overkills the server.

Hello , Hope you are fine there

well i was on the way to write my review about IWEB and suddenely i saw this post....
    well first of all there might be some issue or problem otherwise they could have answer support ticket in maximum 1 houre i never got any late replies from them.....secondly talking abt OS reloade...i never got any reply like that and even i like to say one thing here
    2 days back my system got hacked...i lost everything i was in big problem , im lil new in this webhosting industry...and its iweb who helped me in recovering everything , and above all

they installed OS at Free of cost so i don't think that there is any issue of Os Install to earn 70$ .and i personally suggest you mate , keep your self calm :-)
    im sure you will get the best solution , stay with iweb you wont be regret
    Thanks
    rounak
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
    iWeb is a joke. Ever since I got my server online with you all. it has been one problem after another. And no one will even try and fix it.

Every morning right at 9:30 am est the server gets real slow with a very high load, but there are no processes using anymore then 1% cpu usage.

No one can seem to fix that.

I send them this in a ticket.

And I get this reply, a full day later.

Even a ticket marked as urgent takes forever to get a reply too.

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about nor is it a fix to anything. I can't even seen that they logged into my box to look at anything.

The only real response I get from anyone is too reload the OS and cpanel. but they will change me $70 to that, and that is not right when its a bad install from the start.

I should not have to pay to fix this issue.

My advice do not go with iweb, they are not worth a dime.
    Just curious. Have you tried their suggestion to process a database of this size from the command line?

I think IWeb is right.

http://wiki.cihar.com/pma/FAQ_1.16

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=69111

http://www.webdevelopment2.com/impor...n-get-bigdump/

Or just search google before you start bashing you provider, you may want to try to see if what they are saying makes sense. It does to me. The phpmyadmin tool isn't really meant to do files of that size. I am sure people have tweaked it to make it work but I have never bothered over a size of 10mb and you are trying to do it for 128mb.

Just tell us after you read these examples if you would like the title changed.

P.S. By the way are you on a managed server with them? What are your specs?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    Just curious. Have you tried their suggestion to process a database of this size from the command line?

I think IWeb is right.

http://wiki.cihar.com/pma/FAQ_1.16

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=69111

http://www.webdevelopment2.com/impor...n-get-bigdump/

Or just search google before you start bashing you provider, you may want to try to see if what they are saying makes sense. It does to me. The phpmyadmin tool isn't really meant to do files of that size. I am sure people have tweaked it to make it work but I have never bothered over a size of 10mb and you are trying to do it for 128mb.

Just tell us after you read these examples if you would like the title changed.

P.S. By the way are you on a managed server with them? What are your specs?
    I'm not trying upload a database. I'm trying to export it, you can do that for a few gb's with no problem through phpmyadmin.

The database is 154mb, and I have no problem doing anything I want with it over on my SL box, with a slower processor.

And its not just exporting the database, every day at 9:30am est the server goes to hell with a 100+ load. But there is nothing running.

Its a bad install of something and they are refusing too fix it, unless I pay $70 to do a reload

Quote Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post

Its a bad install of something and they are refusing too fix it, unless I pay $70 to do a reload
    can u show us screen shot that where iweb has told you that they are not going to fix this issue and that they are directely asking you 70$ ?

iweb is a big and professional company i cant belive on this....atlist from my past experience with iweb i cant believe according to me iweb is No -1

Ok, have you checked your cron to see what else could be running? If it only happens at a specific time daily then there must be a process on the box doing that.

I will say that I have some doubts about exporting a few database >1 GB through phpmyadmin. I have never tried it but if you say it works I guess I will take your word for it.
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Ok, have you checked your cron to see what else could be running? If it only happens at a specific time daily then there must be a process on the box doing that.

I will say that I have some doubts about exporting a few database >1 GB through phpmyadmin. I have never tried it but if you say it works I guess I will take your word for it.
    There are a few cron's but none for that time. or any that would be even close too that time.

I can do a simple mysql query and it will cause a high load on the server, I can stop CSF and start it again, and the server load will go about 80. The same thing for stopping and starting apache.

What are your specs? Processor, memory etc..
    Linovus Holdings Inc

What are your specs? Processor, memory etc..
    Core 2 Duo E4500 2.4Ghz 1gb ram, 320gb hard drive. CentOS 5 + Cpanel

Hey CoolRaul, I got experience with that and it almost never works sucessfuly. PHPmyadmin was only designed for so much, plus the php has a execution time before it will kill the php connection, usualy this time is reached before pma can finish exporting it.

Doing it from the command line using mysqladmin, is the best way to do it, as it handles everything.

And why not use bigdump? I had 150mb database! tried using import through PMA but php execution timed out! so tried bigdump and will try that everytime when I do that! saves alot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    And why not use bigdump? I had 150mb database! tried using import through PMA but php execution timed out! so tried bigdump and will try that everytime when I do that! saves alot of trouble.
    I'm not importing anything. i'm exporting the DB from the server to my computer too keep for a backup.

Thats not even the biggest problem. I can't even restart apache with out it causing a huge load on the server.

Sounds like that big database gets optimized at about 9:30am everyday. Also, if you have many MySQL connections and writes taking up a lot of RAM and disktime, then whenever you restart something else, then it has to provision the RAM, which means something gets bumped to the Swap - at least momentarily.

Any one of those happening will cause the type of problems that you suggest. And it doesn't have to be a cronjob being ran that's optimizing your database. It could also be the software using the database as well.

Those are some things that I'd consider. I'd also use the command line to export a database that big. In my experience anything over 120 MB through phpMyAdmin can cause issues, but maybe that's just me.

For your DB, my suggestion is to download and try MySQL's GUI tools. It will most likely not work for anything other than downloading and uploading you DB, but it seems that is what you want to do most. (You install them on your computer and connect to your DB)

As for hitting a wall at a specific time, are you on a VPS by chance? The reason I ask, is if iWeb is not dedicating guaranteed resources to you or if you are on a loaded box, you may be down in the pile and having to wait for your processes to 'come to the top.' It might be worth asking them to move you to another box or to look at the other users on the box and see who is running heavy at that time.

If it is a dedicated server, you may want to look at the possibility of a rogue Cron running on a different user or even worse, you may have been hacked or are getting a large amount of traffic at that particular time... My advice is check your logs.
    Last edited by Corey Blaser; 05-16-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotRoot View Post
    Sounds like that big database gets optimized at about 9:30am everyday. Also, if you have many MySQL connections and writes taking up a lot of RAM and disktime, then whenever you restart something else, then it has to provision the RAM, which means something gets bumped to the Swap - at least momentarily.

Any one of those happening will cause the type of problems that you suggest. And it doesn't have to be a cronjob being ran that's optimizing your database. It could also be the software using the database as well.

Those are some things that I'd consider. I'd also use the command line to export a database that big. In my experience anything over 120 MB through phpMyAdmin can cause issues, but maybe that's just me.
    There is nothing happening at 9:30 I watched it today and nothing was going on, everything was normal, and once 9:30 hit the load started going up, but there where no more processes, connections too the server where normal.

The database is not being optimized. That is one of the few things I can do with no problem.

I ran this site at softlayer with no problem, On a server that was just about exactly the same, except for the processor, softlayer has a opteron 170 this has a core 2 duo. The site script and DB are tuned to perfection, it was down not once untill I moved it too iweb. Now its nothing but problems with this iweb server. I move it to another server (not softlayer) and it works perfect.

As others pointed out, it looks like a software issue. The software you are using could force a task at a specific time each day when a user visits the site or things like that. But if you are convinced that there is something wrong with the server (hardware problems happen) we can provide you with a brand new server and a fresh OS install for free.

Regards,
    Last edited by atchoooo; 05-18-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Blaser View Post
    As for hitting a wall at a specific time, are you on a VPS by chance? The reason I ask, is if iWeb is not dedicating guaranteed resources to you or if you are on a loaded box, you may be down in the pile and having to wait for your processes to 'come to the top.' It might be worth asking them to move you to another box or to look at the other users on the box and see who is running heavy at that time.
    We only do dedicated server
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

Many times I read about Iweb More then Microsoft deal with Yahoo!

I Feel happy I’m not with them ..

No bad talking hosts unless you have had or currently have services with them. Its not fair to judge a company based on a few bad hearsay experiences thrown around the web by people who have not even tried their service.

Most of the time its the people who have had bad experiences that are reviewing the service, not the other 99% that are the happy and content...

This really seems like an end user issue and not a provider issue, but thats just me. BUT, i do think its kind of ridiculous that the provider charges an OS reload fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansour_qa View Post
    Many times I read about Iweb More then Microsoft deal with Yahoo!

I Feel happy I’m not with them ..
    On what basis you can say this ?

you are not the customer of i web

so pls dont comment

without knowing about them you cant say anything

you just see bad review about them,but did you saw or mentioned any positive review ?

if iweb has 1 negative review then they have over 10 positive review

so next time first pls read the whole thread and then comment

im a proud iweb customer and im very happy with them

i never saw such great company

they are friendly & Helpful

Hope this helps
    Thanks

- as mention, it is better to export your db via ssh. PMA has problem exporting large db completely.

- you might want to check whether you have configure whm/cpanel backup at that specific time. sometimes the backup is enabled by default at certain provider.