Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Volumedrive: Awesome company, just don't jump on the boat yet

Hey guys,

thought i'd post an update review on volumedrive. I'm a long standing client with them, varying between 3-5 servers with them at any given time.

Support. On the whole josh and jeff are the friendliest nicest people I know. They are willing to help out with any minor server issues, resolve rebuilds matters rapidly, and know where to point you to in the event of problems.

Network. Probably on the weaker side of their services. using burst.net i've had at least a couple of network complications every month i've been with them. some have been no-notice router updates / upgrades, some have been hijacked IP addresses from other servers in the network (should be resolved in new data center). But on the whole, good network performance, responsive and fast. And you can't complain with 10+mbit unmetered...

Current issues. Here's where the "don't jump on the boat" bit comes in. VD has been incredibly busy as of late shifting to the new datacenter. as a result their customer service and *actual* performance is suffering seriously. What I mean by this is that while they are super friendly, promise to get things done, give very confident and positive estimates as to when they can get a server up or fix some issue, they just don't get anything done.

In the last month I've faced some serious issues regarding this. The most in-your-face one has been an additional harddrive I had requested to be put in 15 days ago today and paid for it. They said they had them in stock. A few days later, still no drive - got an immediate response to my query that they had used up the drives in new builds and they had specifically ordered me one which would arrive on monday, so i'd have it monday evening.

monday evening came and went, tuesday came and went. responses each time are "We will add this for you tonight, I will make sure of it." (actual quote from e-mail sent yesterday, needless to say I don't have the drive yet) or along that tune. About 20 mins prior to this email I sent them an update request, I'll keep you up to date of this saga

Sadly, this has been the case practically everyday for over 2 weeks now.

That's just one example. A celeron which they had in stock which they said would take 2 days to set up took 6 days. A high power xeon that I made a contract with them to have it set up by Monday (this past one, 5 days ago) was happily taken on by them saying it would not be an issue. I said I'd pay on delivery as it was a time sensitive server and if I didn't have it by the promised delivery date (which they said they could definitely meet) I wouldn't be purchasing it. By tuesday I had no word, and obviously didn't end up getting the server and had to go with another company.

Bottom line. Guys please don't misunderstand - volumedrive is an AMAZING company and I've been with them long enough to still trust these fellows, even after being jerked around a bit this past month. The only reason I haven't jumped ship is cause I know these guys will get back on the horse. I'm just hoping it's sometime soon before their business starts suffering - I've been in the web hosting market long enough to know which direction companies take when they start falling through with promises and have demand outgrow what they can supply, and refuse to deal with customer service expansion.

So yeah, basically, keep an eye on these boards. I'm sure when VD is back on the horse it'll be known, but until then I'd be a little weary and realize these guys are under immense pressure and probably won't be able to fulfil your requests in a timely fashion regardless of how many promises they make or emails they send about it being set up by "tonight."

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by chamelion; 05-16-2008 at 06:58 AM.

update: Server went down a few minutes after the post, secondary drive is now in

My experience has been quite similar. VD is great and all, but following up on delivery promises isn't one of them. I had to "remind" them for my first server order, a recent upgrade of that server and a second server.

I can't help but get the idea things are a bit to busy at VD at the moment.

I'll agree with this review, VD are very friendly and quick to respond to support emails, but there is always a delay between asking for something to get done and it actually being done.

But like you, I put this down to the new DC move, they are still a great company and the server I have with them is great, I can't complain.

Glad to hear that things are generally very good I'm the impatient type (i.e. when deadlines aren't met), so I'll probably leave off ordering with VD until after they get things sorted a bit more.

I do wonder how many employees they have - Josh and Jeff do seem really good and friendly, although if it's just them and a few others running things, I can see why they're too busy at the moment.

Although either they, I'm glad to hear things are overall good, and I hope they can get things sorted out
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

They also have a woman at the phone who repeats herself until u go mad... that's prolly her job there... making clients quit using the phone
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

They are very friendly. Only 2 guys (or more) but they working great job. EMail reply for 10min. (max). They have day and night shift.

No bad words for now

I had volumedrive and DO NOT recommend them.

Although the support is top notch with friendly and prompt replies, the network was just horrible and they cheated me on the initial configuration. The CPU was slower than the one I paid for.

Downloads went about 20 KBps, from common sites.

Choose your hosting wisely.

couchpotato,

You were given a Celeron-L Conroe which is clearly faster then the Celeron-D.

Regarding any network issues you were experiencing. I can assure you they were related to the old network. We scheduled your server move for one week from the requested date, at which time you said was too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    couchpotato,
    Regarding any network issues you were experiencing. I can assure you they were related to the old network. We scheduled your server move for one week from the requested date, at which time you said was too far off.
    Network included, overall the service was unsatisfactory.

- I have email records of our conversation, so please do not post inaccuracies.
    - I was told you'd be moving servers in "two weeks" within days of my initial purchase.
    - Two weeks later, I sent another email to be updated on the issue.
    - I was told it would be "two weeks".
    - You asked me to pay an invoice, at the end of my commitment (of 4 weeks).

NO CUSTOMER IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY FOR SUCH ABYSMAL SERVICE.

To anyone considering VolumeDrive, consider your options and go elsewhere or check these threads for reference.
    Stay Away
    5 Month Review

Thanks for the insight and good luck with your next provider.

Quote Originally Posted by couchpotato View Post
    Network included, overall the service was unsatisfactory.

- I have email records of our conversation, so please do not post inaccuracies.
    - I was told you'd be moving servers in "two weeks" within days of my initial purchase.
    - Two weeks later, I sent another email to be updated on the issue.
    - I was told it would be "two weeks".
    - You asked me to pay an invoice, at the end of my commitment (of 4 weeks).

NO CUSTOMER IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD PAY FOR SUCH ABYSMAL SERVICE.

To anyone considering VolumeDrive, consider your options and go elsewhere or check these threads for reference.
    Stay Away
    5 Month Review
    Few points on this. I think it's based on experience on the whole... You see this as abysmal services and network issues and lord knows what else. The two threads you post as referrals are both poor indicators of VD's quality. one of them is some stupid kid who was running illegal torrents and was clueless in the area of windows hosting and was attacked over and over again, in the other case it was some guy way overreacting to pretty much standard procedure (he gets all wrapped up because VD rebooted his server when he's having issues. What do you expect them to do??)

network wise i have all my servers in the new data center now, and even though 2 of them are on a 10mbit unmetered pipe even a single thread wget gets me 15-20mbit, sustained.

my only *real* beef was being told one thing and not having things accomplished as stated - i don't mind delays but if it's done in a transparent and honest fashion i'm more than happy to wait around, but i hate empty promises. that being said, i do understand how busy VD is and it is as a result of this that i'm willing to go as far as to say that i'll back up their services and vouch for their GOOD quality, and continue to pay for their services while happily enjoying an overall awesome experience.

I had volumedrive and DO NOT recommend them.

Although the support is top notch with friendly and prompt replies, the network was just horrible and they cheated me on the initial configuration. The CPU was slower than the one I paid for.

Downloads went about 20 KBps, from common sites.

Choose your hosting wisely.

Well mate, I know a lot of peoples who use VD services, and they are more than happy.

But, we know that every hosting provider have good and bad moments.

I had some bad experiences with VD so far, but after 4 months I still have decided to go with them. Nobody is perfect and the machine is the same. The most important thing is the way they (providers) work. At this moment, I give Josh 8/10 point. He and his co-workers are working hard to help their clients (including me).

I PM'd VolumeDrive about their service fee if paying by Paypal or Google Checkout but didn't get a response. I don't know about Google Checkout, but with Paypal, if you accept Paypal payments, you are not allowed to charge any fee related to the Paypal payment. On VolumeDrive's site, they list a $2.50 service fee for Paypal and Google Checkout payments. They don't mention if this fee is one time or recurring. Either way, not kosher with Paypal's TOS (see item 4.7). Just thought I would point that out to potential clients.

Quote Originally Posted by jzukerman View Post
    I PM'd VolumeDrive about their service fee if paying by Paypal or Google Checkout. I don't know about Google Checkout, but with Paypal, if you accept Paypal payments, you are not allowed to charge any fee related to the Paypal payment. On VolumeDrive's site, they list a $2.50 service fee for Paypal and Google Checkout payments. They don't mention if this fee is one time or recurring. Either way, not kosher with Paypal TOS. Just thought I would point that out to potential clients.
    True, and it's bad that they do this. However I know of another big company that does this, hence I don't think PayPal care too much.

I'm pretty sure Paypal can enforce this by suspending the user's paypal account. I think the reason has to do with credit card companies, as they do not allow merchants to collect fees in regards to payments via credit cards, as that unfairly segments those buyers from others who pay via different methods (cash, etc).

I'm pretty sure Paypal can enforce this by suspending the user's paypal account. I think the reason has to do with credit card companies, as they do not allow merchants to collect fees in regards to payments via credit cards, as that unfairly segments those buyers from others who pay via different methods (cash, etc).
    Yep, they can enforce it. It's in their TOS that it's not legitimate for companies to pass on PayPal fees, hence they'd be legally welcome to take action. I'm just saying that I've never heard of them ever taking action over this aspect of their TOS.

The fee is reoccurring.

The fee is reoccurring.
    Yep, the fee is added to every invoice, which is quite annoying really but I didn't know it was against PayPal rules... Interesting.

I've got a server at VolumeDrive as well. I believe all my dealings have been with Josh and he's been great so far. I think he's probably overloaded with work and that shows at times, but I have no complaints about him. I think he has the best of intentions and does his best.

The server I ordered was delayed a few days, but that wasn't a problem. What I received was exactly what I ordered. No complaints there.

I don't know where my server is located (IP is in the 66.197.149.xxx range) but the network is on the slow side. I have servers at FDC and Wholesale as well. The VD server has the fastest hardware, but the slowest network of the three during normal operations (FDC slows to a crawl at times). By any definition I use (Speakeasy speed tests, DSL Reports line quality, just-ping, etc.) the VD server has quite a bit less bandwidth and twice the latency of the other two (all three are on 100mbps connections). Don't get me wrong... the network speed is OK for my needs, but I'd like to see it on par with FDC and Wholesale.

Overall I'm very satisfied with VolumeDrive. The network speed issue is the only thing that keeps me from recommending VolumeDrive every time someone posts that they need a dedicated server.

I'd rate VolumeDrive the best overall value of the three servers I have.

Quote Originally Posted by csgo View Post

I'd rate VolumeDrive the best overall value of the three servers I have.
    I would rate volumedrive least favorable from all the hosts I've used over the past 5 years.

From 1and1, Matrix and StartLogic.

When you buy hosting, what do you look for? Frilly friendly emails or a solid and reliable network so transparent you didn't even notice things could be much much worse.

From what I've read they're a quality host, at least the majority of people I've seen think this?

Maybe they just need to bring in some (more?) support staff?

I haven't (yet) ordered with them, although Joss and Jeff do seem really nice and friendly

When you buy hosting, what do you look for? Frilly friendly emails or a solid and reliable network so transparent you didn't even notice things could be much much worse.
    So far their network has been reliable for me... not the fastest, but reliable. They did have about 6 minutes down earlier today, but that's the only downtime I know of this month. All I can relate is my experience.

I'll compare VolumeDrive to FDC. FDC is much faster about 90% of the time... a lot faster, but that other 10% is a killer. My FDC bandwidth slows down to slower than dial-up (yes I am serious). It happens most days. I fought it out with them on a trouble ticket and their response came down to "shared bandwidth". I never expected to get peak speed all the time, but to slow down to the point that you can't even get a ping to your server is unreasonable.

The other side is VolumeDrive. The network speed is not nearly as fast as FDC 90% of the time, but they are fairly consistant. At no time has my server been bandwidth starved that I know of. I don't use a lot of bandwidth, but what I use I need it to be reliable. VolumeDrive has filled that need so far. I hope for the additional speed if my server is not at the new datacenter.

For my business slower but more consistant (VolumeDrive) beats fast but unavailable at times (FDC).

Nothing I've posted should be news to either company. Your results may vary.

-Joe

I PM'd VolumeDrive about their service fee if paying by Paypal or Google Checkout but didn't get a response. I don't know about Google Checkout, but with Paypal, if you accept Paypal payments, you are not allowed to charge any fee related to the Paypal payment. On VolumeDrive's site, they list a $2.50 service fee for Paypal and Google Checkout payments. They don't mention if this fee is one time or recurring. Either way, not kosher with Paypal's TOS (see item 4.7). Just thought I would point that out to potential clients.
    You are right. I think if clients must be happier if they do not have to pay paypal fee. BTW, does anybody contact paypal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast