What's the difference between hits and pages?

I'd like to better interpret my awstats.

I get many pages from links, but the number of hits isn't that great.

From direct access I get twice as many pages as from links, but over 50 times more hits.

What's the relation between pages and hits?

Does pages mean open a page, and hits how long you stay there?

Thanks.

If you have one page with 50,000 images on it, that will show up as "1 page and 50,000 hits" in Awstats.

Pages are how many times your pages have been viewed.

Hits are how many connections have been made (connections such as an image that has been loaded, or a javascript file that has been loaded). In short, hits are pretty much useless.

You need to be looking at visits and pages.

Hope that helps!
    - Jamie Harrop

Uniques are the only ones that matter when counting people. A unique a one person at an IP address that visits your site.

Your site could have 1200 hits per day, but 3 uniques. That means in 24 hours 3 people visited your site. Not very good at all.

Hits can be used as a measurement of abuse however. If you have 100 uniques and 5000 hits then it's a sure bet that your site either has WAY too many images, or someone is spidering your site.
    http://www.wpdirectorypro.com is a premium plugin to make a directory using WordPress
    http://www.pocketbikeforum.com racing, mods, sales, and general discussion of pocket bikes

Thanks for the replies!

I wonder how unique visitors are counted...

Per month?

So, if one person visits your site in April, and then again in May, will he be counted as a unique visitor in May?

It seems reasonable to do so, but who knows...

Depending on the package, it is measured in minutes/hours - anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours.

I believe awstats is 30 minutes.