Windows versus Linux host: any PRACTICAL difference?

I'm just curious. I (and my clients) have a few very small, simple-minded websites...a few php programs for simple forms fetch-and-forward. Is there much PRACTICAL difference between a Windows-based host and a Linux-based host?

P.S. Apologies if this has been covered beyond the 2002 thread I found!

a few php programs for simple forms fetch-and-forward
    If you have php based stuff, you'll want to stick with a true open source setup, IE: Linux.
    php works under windows, can be setup and installed, but I've heard of multiple problems with individual php installs on Windows that were caused ONLY because it was a "windows" environment and a "windows" issue.

The reverse is true if you have ASP based programming requirements, you want to go with a TRUE host, which is a Windows host.

PHP 'works' under windows, don't get me wrong, but I've run into, and heard rumor of numerous bugs and problems with php on Windows that DON'T exist in the OS it's designed for.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Smile Ok!

Thank you both very much! (I hadn't found those threads...poor searching on my part!)