Major DNS Problems

I have a major problem. I have a reseller account with a (for the time being non-specified) provider.

They advised that they would be implementing IP migration over 2 days and would advise of new nameserver IP's for updating of our and our client domains with relevant registrars.

They duly changed the IP addresses for the nameservers and instead of giving us enough time to perform the updates with the relevant registrars, they deleted the old DNS IP addresses.

So now we sit with the problem of having all our sites not working nor the e-mails to which the registrar sends the confirmation e-mails.

So we cannot confirm that we would like the DNS to be changed so the request is duly cancelled after 24 hours.

WTF are we supposed to do now? I have clients breathing fire and brimstone because their sites and their e-mail is not working.

You should be able to change your e-mail with your domain registrar by simply calling them.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by ephasenetworks View Post
    You should be able to change your e-mail with your domain registrar by simply calling them.
    Was hoping not to have to do that as our registrar is not the easiest to work with and tend to complicate things beyond comprehension.

You can also ask the host to keep providing dns services as they were at the old NS addresses in parallel with the new NS addresses until the changeover is made. More smoothly this time.

Keep in mind that the tld nameservers typically use 72 hour ttl's. This is not a setting that anyone can change, so you will need the parallel services for at least that long.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Could you ask them to re-add it? If not, you might have to wait for propagation time. The changes do take some time to take and then propagate, but the 72 hours is usually your local cache, so you can try clearing that after so-much time as well (or test it from another source).

The changes do take some time to take and then propagate, but the 72 hours is usually your local cache, so you can try clearing that after so-much time as well (or test it from another source).
    I believe OpenDNS could be a workaround to avoid waiting for the propagation.

This is not meant to rub salt in the wound but, hopefully, to prevent this from happening to others...never use your @domain email for the WHOIS contact on that domain. Its the same reason why you shouldn't use @domain email for your main contact with your host for that domain. If your domain goes down, you won't be able to get notifications.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I use Godaddy and it has the account contact email separate from the contact email I choose to put on my whois information. Plus, I do it all on that site, via their management system and don't need to rely on emails. Something else to also maybe consider.

I think you will get better response at the Technical Forum.

Thank you for all the replies.

Boonchuan, can one of the mods move the thread to Technical if that will be more prevalent to the discussion?

Ah-Tina, believe me, a lesson well learnt on this occasion. When I do the updates to the information, I will be including a seperate account on which to recieve notifications.

Idcdc, will investigate that option, thank you.

Plumsauce and Tim, they were unable to re-add it so have to go the long way round in terms of calling and possibly going to see the local registrar for our domains.

Again, thanks for the assistance everyone.