How to edit FTP User Permissions on a cPanel account?

My Pink Floyd website has a photo section of rare concert pictures that our members upload. We have about 3,000 of these pictures, that our members upload via an FTP server that is hosted on a simple cPanel web hosting account. Someone logged into the account and not only deleted all the pictures, but uploaded obscene pictures and index.html files to some really nasty stuff.

We delete all the obscene stuff, but before we re-upload all the pictures I need to know...

On a cPanel account is there a way to have the FTP User only able to upload files and not edit/delete/change? Somehow we can edit their permission?

I asked HostGator about this and the ChatTech said this cannot be done, and I was a bit surprised. I could easily do this on my own server, but i'm not sure where to start at the user level.

Any help is always much appreciated!
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

You could easily change the ftp root of the user to a subdirectory, so they could only have access to that subdirectory. But, what you are talking about extends to UNIX permissions, and what you are trying to do sounds like a job for a Dedicated Server. You could probably setup some advanced rules in vsftpd like shown here:

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...0951_3434071_2

Does anyone else have any ideas on a user-level access?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!

you can try setting a cronjob which chmod all the files to allow read but not write bye the user/group, in that way, people can still download the files, but not delete them.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Good idea, that is what another host told me to do. I have a hostgator.com account and apparently they do not offer SSH access, not even jailshell. And are completely unwilling to setup any crontab or any support in that area.

So im canceling them.. and moving to the next host

Yes, they do offer SSH access, ONLY jailshell. Where did you hear that they did not?

I chatted to someone named "Kevin" in their 24/7 live chat. And they said they did not offer SSH. I then asked him did they offer jailshell, and he said "no".

Maybe their chat isn't the most reliable.

I know for a fact that they enable jailshell, because I am one of the people that do the enabling once the request is received. Please fill out this form to request SSH access:

https://secure.hostgator.com/sshrequest.php

I apologize for the way that this has been handled. We would love to earn your business back.