Smile What types of servers do I need?

I am preparing to launch a site that will start out slow and grow over time. I plan to pay a lot of money up front for advertising to get as many people as possible to the site. If I can match what similar sites in my field receive, I may get upwards of 5 million hits a day (not for quite some time though). I am looking into dedicated hosting and am not sure what types of servers I need. My site runs PHP/MySQL and has a large amount of database calls. I have optimised the calls to as few as possible but its still quite a lot. I am curious what types of server(s) I will need and how much this will cost me. I know nobody can give exact details based on the limited information I provided but any ballpark figures? Also, anyone recommend a hosting company?

Thanks,
    Matt

Looks like you might need some good hardware.

How big is your database? Bandwidth you are using per month? Any location preference?
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I havent launched yet so the database is very small but will grow with use. Not too many tables, just quite a few calls to retrieve different data. Not sure on bandwidth yet. Not streaming any video and don't have large images. Just database intensive I guess.. I am in Portland OR, so location preference is as close as possible to there... (Seattle?)

Got a budget in mind?

Here are some specs I would suggest:

CPU1 Intel XEON E5310 Quadcore
    CPU1 Intel XEON E5310 Quadcore
    4GB DDR-2 ECC FBDIMM RAM
    500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache (i think thats all you need to start out at)
    Burstable Bandwidth (1000 Mbps Port)

Anyone agree?

At least this is what I feel would be good if you are planing on having a site like say crazycoderz.net they get about 109k hits of members a day (i think not sure)
    Jason

Well, here's what I think is the best route.

You're obviously just starting out. I suggest you get a smaller server spec (cheaper) and pipe. Gather metrics as days pass and milestones are reached. Have the managing company install the needed software so you can visualize the projected growth in terms of visits, resource consumption, etc on a nice graph (while sipping on a smoothie).

As you start crawling towards your set threshold, simply request a beefier server from your service provider. At this point in your adventure, you have plenty of prospects and revenue to justify the upgrade. Again, get another smoothie and watch the step-lock upgrade/transition take place.

I don't suggest you jump too high too early at the risk of drying out early. Although you'll certainly find a cheap good spec server in the offers section from the get-go

Good luck
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

Thanks. I have been thinking about going with SoftLayer as they have a pretty reasonable priced package to get 1 dual processor quad core server. (approx 400/m). Maybe I can start out smaller and get a single proc dual core and just upgrade as necessary. My budget is under $500/month to start. I will have $10k to work with to start but I want to spend a fair chunk of that on advertising and promotion and I want it to last as long as possible so I can "weather the storm" while I wait for the ad revenue. Do any of you have experience with SoftLayer?

Thanks!

Matt

Softlayer is well regarded amongst the community members here. If you do a quick search you should be able to find a good number of reviews.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

I appreciate the help guys. I am very new to web hosting. I am impressed with the prices from SoftLayer as I have gotten some quotes from Rackspace and they seemed quite high. I know Rackspace is really good and you get what you pay for but I just don't have that kind of budget (+$1k for one server.)

One other suggestion that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet; taking a mid-size server for now and migrating your database off to a second server later once you outgrow a single server solution.

That could potentially let you start around the $100/mo. price range.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

For $500 you should be able to get good quality hardware, infrastructure, and sysad attention. And I mean 4-way (8-core) box with >8GB DDR and lightening fast SCSI disks, dual PS, etc.

But again, if I were you, at this stage, I wouldn't go that crazy.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by UNIXy View Post
    For $500 you should be able to get good quality hardware, infrastructure, and sysad attention. And I mean 4-way (8-core) box with >8GB DDR and lightening fast SCSI disks, dual PS, etc.

But again, if I were you, at this stage, I wouldn't go that crazy.

Regards
    You can get a server like that for that price where?
    Chris Reed
    Revogate Inc.
    Revolutionizing Business Technology
    Web Hosting, XenServer Virtualization, and IT Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by error49 View Post
    I am preparing to launch a site that will start out slow and grow over time. I plan to pay a lot of money up front for advertising to get as many people as possible to the site. If I can match what similar sites in my field receive, I may get upwards of 5 million hits a day (not for quite some time though). I am looking into dedicated hosting and am not sure what types of servers I need. My site runs PHP/MySQL and has a large amount of database calls. I have optimised the calls to as few as possible but its still quite a lot. I am curious what types of server(s) I will need and how much this will cost me. I know nobody can give exact details based on the limited information I provided but any ballpark figures? Also, anyone recommend a hosting company?

Thanks,
    Matt

Matt,

It does greatly depend on the amount of traffic you have but also what types of traffic you have. I have worked on many highly-scaled projects. Have you heard of simpsonizeme.com? I worked intimately with the code and deployment of that site. This site scaled over 50 servers (Dell PE1950 dual quad-core Xeons) and bursted over 2.9Gbit/sec!! I would highly recommend two load-balancers (HA) and two web servers with a database server on the backend. This architecture would allow you to scale up your web servers if needed. Also investigate MySQL Enterprise Clustering. That might be a good idea as well.

Thanks!
    Adam
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Check out SoftLayer - They have the best rep around WHT out of any dedicated server company. They have three datacenters (Dallas, Seattle, and their newest, Washington D.C.), so you have plenty of options their. Their support is awesome, yadda yadda, tons of reviews around WHT praise SoftLayer for being the best company out there. OH! And their new service, CDNLayer, is a really cool one - makes for way faster speeds all over the world... That would be an awesome addition to your site so it's way faster everywhere.

If you don't want/like SoftLayer, my secondary recommendation (not any better/worse than SoftLayer, their really about the same) would be LiquidWeb - Fully managed servers, so their slightly more money, but very similar business to SoftLayer in the way of customer support etc.
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-Chris View Post
    You can get a server like that for that price where? :)
    I can't tell you exactly where ;) but it's here on WHT in the dedicated servers section.

Regards