how can I find advertisers (or other income) with a 30'000/month visitors website?

Hello guys.
    I run a website that has over 30'000 visits per month on average and I would like to generate some income from it.
    I don't really have the time to seek out advertisers so I was wondering if you know of any ways to monetize this kind of traffic.
    Are there any PR agencies that will work on percentage and can find advertisers and just keep 10% of what they find?
    Are there any other ways to generate income?
    It is a music site and I would like to have targeted/relevant/related advertising if possible.
    I already have Google AdWords but it only made me about 35 dollars so far...
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

are they unique visitors?

hmm...my smallest site gets only 4000 uniques a month and adsense is on average $200 a month.

my other bigger sites pay far more.

you should try tweaking the adsense and find higher paying keywords.

owm
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 05-14-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post

hmm...my smallest site gets only 4000 uniques a month and adsense is on average $200 a month.

owm
    I have a site with 140K uniques, making only 3 a day

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I suggest having a lot of ads, like adsense, adbrite and widgetbucks

Quote Originally Posted by azizny View Post
    I have a site with 140K uniques, making only 3 a day

Peace,

OMG Its a forum?

I just installed Google Analytics to have a "second opinion" but according to AW Stats which is installed and provided by my hosting company, the unique visitors are between 25k and 31k every month and the total visits are between 41k and 52k, the page views average 120k and the total hits average 1.3millons... it seems like way too much, which is why I installed Google Analytics a few days ago...

So given these numbers how can I monetize the traffic?

Is there something I can read about which keywords to use? I was using keywords specific to my site (which is about music) but maybe it's not a good idea...

by the way, when I said AdWords, I really meant AdSense... I only made 35 dollars in probably a year... how is that possible?

It seems to be a lot harder to make money with Adsense these days since they eventually hit your site with "smart pricing" or whatever the heck it's called. I used to have a great niche site that had only 4K visitors a month, and I was making $150-$200 per month on that site alone. Then it got "smart priced" by Google and that income went down to about $30 a month.

Try looking at building in some well placed affiliate links. If done properly, you will make a whole lot more than via Adsense.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

i have a website that makes 120 k uniques (absolute uniques) a month, and i make zilch from it. nada. nothing. its in turkish.

C'mon unity, don't make me tell you about the Turks man!
    Ditch the adsense BS and get some ads from adult networks.

You're gonna be rich in one night
    Closed for winter...

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    C'mon unity, don't make me tell you about the Turks man!
    Ditch the adsense BS and get some ads from adult networks.

You're gonna be rich in one night
    i was banned from adsense long ago.

and if i put up adult ads, that site is going to take a nosedive in visitors. its a family friendly humor site.

I was just kidding.
    4K daily unique is something. Did you try your chance with some local advertisers? Banks, online stores etc?
    Closed for winter...

well, internet in general, but especially internet advertising in turkey (and turkish language websites) is naught.

its toooooo cheap. it doesnt provide much return either. even when provides returns it happens to be too little, because people who are using internet in turkey generally either dont have much to spend, or hesitant to spend money on the net. so generally advertising sucks.

also the turkish 'trade' understanding is generally based on trying to buy stuff extremely cheap. and try to sell high. like marakesh bazaar. it reflects on how people shop too.

one additional thing, i dont want to capitalize and grow on the turkish language internet much.

because there is a long standing tradition of censorship in turkey, additionally governments can put out laws that totally kill a sector to appease their supporters or sponsors from another sector.

so there is no telling that if there are going to be draconian internet laws in turkey in near future. it would be just stupid to expand on turkish language internet.

Ok, back to english websites...
    So if AdSense is no good no more, what's good now?

in this article (http://www.sitepronews.com/archives/2005/oct/5.html) I read that AdSense only pays when people click, which might explain why the money is so low...
    are there any banner-rotating companies or advertisers such as AdSense where you get paid for the ads SHOWN as opposed to the ads CLICKED?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
    in this article (http://www.sitepronews.com/archives/2005/oct/5.html) I read that AdSense only pays when people click, which might explain why the money is so low...
    are there any banner-rotating companies or advertisers such as AdSense where you get paid for the ads SHOWN as opposed to the ads CLICKED?
    Thanks
    That would be CPM (cost per thousand impressions) advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by marcnyc View Post
    Thanks
    I don't know about US, but here in Japan your website must have alot more unique visitors than 30-40K/mo to be accepted to such program.
    Closed for winter...

and are there any of those left? or is that an outdated business model?

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post

owm
    May be you can give me some tips

yea outlaw. give tips to us all.

Man Adsense is BS no matter how much traffic I receive at the end of the month I am barely scraping over $100 dollars. I am sure Google switches high paying ads for cheap ones to even out the cost per month. I had one popular site that used Adsense that made $100. Then I added another site with adsense that was just as popular and still only $100. So six sites later all using Adsense and only $100 per month. How can one popular site earn $100, and then seven sites total only earn $100? Total bs and it is funny how sometimes I could have $90 dollars with two days left in the month and suddenly I get 10 clicks worth $20 dollars to even it out at $100. Google is BS.
    Last edited by lexington; 05-16-2008 at 02:49 PM.

at least you made $100 in a month!
    I made $30 in more than 6 months, almost one year!

Well I should be making over $600 per month if Google doesn't place that limit. I check my stats daily and in the beginning of the month I would get about 20 clicks for $7 dollars in one day but near the end of the month I would get 50 clicks for $1.50. For the past four years I make $100 - $109 per month no more no less. However my site traffic is increasing so that doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by lexington; 05-16-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington View Post
    Well I should be making over $600 per month if Google doesn't place that limit. I check my stats daily and in the beginning of the month I would get about 20 clicks for $7 dollars in one day but near the end of the month I would get 50 clicks for $1.50. For the past four years I make $100 - $109 per month no more no less. However my site traffic is increasing so that doesn't make sense.
    Hmm.. well.. what is your eCPM ? There was a site which was when new gave me $60-$70 a month just for 100 unique a day and was like blog .. but now it has 200-300 unique a day and it gives $20-30 ..
    I left that site on his own so its like extra $20

I guess adsense gives better payout to those who are US-UK targetted, thats my personal experience (far better payout)

ecpm for regular ads is $1.94 and search results is $13.61

You are having decent eCPM..mine is mostly under $1 .. and searches are not much !

you should try google adsense referrals advertisements. they are more business focused and probably you will have a better return.
    Miguel Ribeiro
    WinSaaS

The best way to get advertising revenue is to use buyat.
    integrate your chosen banner ads code on your site and earn real commission from the sale,instead of penny clicks from adsense (which tends to compete with your market)

I would try adengage or adbrite. 30 k unique coul get ya something.

found simalar problems with adsense. I think there is more and more competition coming into the market as people are finding worse and worse returns from Adsense. I got far far better results by approaching companies who sell services in the area our site focuses in and worked out a deal with them. Without question it is a lot more work but really pays substantially better (x10).

Would have been interesting to see if the MS offer for Yahoo was valued around something big unknown to the general public that they plan on pushing in advertising. Maybe something with better payouts is on the way from yahoo (beyond their current offerings), can always live in hope anyway!

I hate to say it, but it seems to me the best way to make money from web pages, is to set up scam sites, that advertise they will "teach you how to make money". "Earn 200k in the first month!", crap like that. Search for "how to make money web site" and get a million hits, all scum err scam.

They have tons of ads on their site, and links to all of the other sites that want you go sign up.

Seems to me, the only way to make honest money on the web, is to create a truly original idea, like myspace, that takes off, captures MILLIONS of interested people. This is the way to go.

It's a shame you have to make money from advertisements though. I prefer visiting sites that do NOT have ads. As a consumer, I'm sick of ads. Anyone still watch commercials on tv? Or do you all use TiVO, DVR or some other TV recording device, to record everything, then watch later, so you can fast forward through the commercials.

Intresting thread!

I agree that adsense is not a very good system. I have had a lot of problems with them and I have lost money and had very slow response from their support. Nevertheless, I do know people that have made cash from adsense.

I am myself constantly looking for different ways of making money out of websites and I find it very different and "personal" from site to site. It has so much to do with what kind of site it is, what kind of visitors you have, if its local or international etc etc. I agree though that I like a website with less ads more. And I never click google ads unless i know the owner of the site just as a principle (lol).

If you have 30000 visitors from the same area it would be wise to look for a sponsor like a local bank or something that people know and already trust to be reliable. Im thinking about the Turkish scenario where people have less experience, money and trust to the internet.

Affiliate links are also another solution that unfortunately is another jungle that you could easily get lost in. Also here the question about if its local or not is important. Amazone or virgin might have affiliate accounts to offer but if your visitors are from all over the world they might not be as effective. Ebay has affiliate accounts that you can intergrate on your website, there are a million of poker and ringtone sites that offer affiliates, but I have no idea who is the best or who pays most. If anybody has experience I would find it cool to know more about affiliates.

If you hav an international audience it might be better to resell something like hosting or have pay per click ads.

I ended up dropping Google on both advertising and displaying ads - I was paying too much for ads (with no sales from their clicks) and receiving nothing on the other end. It's a bit of a BS scam I think.

Yup I think adsense is decreasing its payout for certain countries but you may want to shift you focus to other countries where the internet is still not as established as the US or asia.