Is there a such media player?

I am looking for a small media player. Plays usual media files... Maybe it will have a screen size of 2-4 inch.
    BUT.
    What I want is to dump my movie (DVD) files into the player so I can watch movies with it. (of course, my original DVDs do NOT have any copyright protections)

I don't want to do any kind of decoding or converting.

I just want to dump my DVDs (home movies, etc) into the player and start watching them.

Is there a such player?

Thank you.

Have you looked into VLC media player?
    http://www.videolan.org/

It plays everything as far as my experience with it goes.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Sorry, sorry... I am looking for a Hand-Held device. A player that fits in my pocket perhaps.

If your Windows Mobile, then i suggest either
    free: TCPMP
    paid: Core Player
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

DivX do portable devices. You just convert your movies using DivX converter or other freeware tools, or just download them like everyone else and move it onto the device.

You can get pocket TV sized or portable DVD Player (widescreen) size.
    SOA/SaaS/Cloud & Hosting Technology Evangelist
    Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and not of anyone else or my companies.

No you can't get a handheld without converting the file types. This is mainly to reduce the size of the files.

Uh, have you ever heard of the ipod?
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

I have heard of ipod.
    Can I dump all my DVD files into ipod and watch movie?
    I mean, can I dump DVD files "without" converting files.

That's the whole point.
    I refuse to spend hours converting movie files so I can watch movies on the road. I'll just buy a DVD player if that's what it takes. But DVD players are wicked huge.

I cannot believe nobody is coming up with such device or program. Doesn't make sense to me.

Am I the only one on this page? I guess...

Yes, you are the only one on this page. This is because everyone compresses their movies down with a codec. Much like a Divx codec.

This is so they dont have HUGE files and HUGE transfers time.

This means when you upload it to your ipod your only having to upload a file 20% of the original size. meaning you can hold more, transfer faster, and play it on more players.

The other side of this is that unless you have specialized hardware most media players cannot decode and play DVD content reliably due to their weak processors -- additionally since they are designed to be run from battery power, they cannot afford to stuff power hungry dedicated components in the device. What you would end up with is a device that can play one dvd video on a small screen; that would be heavy to carry and would need constant recharging. Having said that, there are dedicated portable DVD players out there, but they do that and only that -- nothing else (no music, just video).

Set top DVD players have hardware dvd decoders which are very fast and efficient; since most media players are general purpose, they use software to decode and play media, which means that if you don't encode your video it will not be playable due to the physical limitations of the device. They also don't need to do any decoding since they play the files from the disc itself.

If you just want to watch DVDs on the road, just buy a portable DVD player. Most come with a 13" or so screen. Amazon has quite a few; but as you see, they are all disc-based.

I am not aware of a device that:

1. Has a large storage medium
    2. Has a wide screen
    3. Can play non encoded DVD video

Let me offer my reasons why:

1. It would be difficult getting raw video onto the device; since you would have to transfer it via USB.
    2. The device would not be a mass market device; since it would be costly to develop and not a lot of people would buy it due to a singular purpose.
    3. Battery life and portability (due to the reasons mentioned above).
    Last edited by Burhan; 05-22-2008 at 02:54 AM.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Yeah, get a portable DVD player as burhan has mentioned. They're cheap and you don't have to worry about converting media. If you're traveling frequently I've seen several units that are also rechargeable.

with the iPod Touch, you can download movies from iTunes right on to it.

EDIT: and iPhone.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-22-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Dont forget about my At&T Tilt, screw your Iphone