fdiv_bug        : no
    hlt_bug         : no
    f00f_bug        : no
    coma_bug        : no
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 10
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
    pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl tm2
    xtpr
    bogomips        : 3194.38
    and 1 GB RAM,

Thou the website on it works perfectly fine, with load average from 1 - 4

But, when ever i try to take backups of the website ( by either tar'ing of using control panel ) , the server load goes high.

** the website has several thousands files ( huge in number )

I want to take backup of the entire website ( files + mysql ),

Kindly advice how shall i go about it ?

Looking for helpful replies...

Hi,

The Backup Scripts of Control Panel are resources hungry and in mosts of the system it will jack up the load. I suggest that you use Remote Rsync Backup, it is less load in your server, and it cheap now and it is Remote. With Control Panel Backup, everytime it is scheduled a backup, it will compress all the files again and again in every sched while in rsync, only the file that changes will be backup thus saving server resources.

Regards,
    Bobby
    WebbyCart.com - Pushing Onwards
    Server Management | Outsourced Hosting Support | Remote / Offsite Rsync Backup | Fully Managed Servers & Cloud VPS
    sales@webbycart.com

Quote Originally Posted by WebbyCart View Post
    Hi,

The Backup Scripts of Control Panel are resources hungry and in mosts of the system it will jack up the load. I suggest that you use Remote Rsync Backup, it is less load in your server, and it cheap now and it is Remote. With Control Panel Backup, everytime it is scheduled a backup, it will compress all the files again and again in every sched while in rsync, only the file that changes will be backup thus saving server resources.

Regards,
    Bobby

I don't have CPanel , i work on Direct Admin, but anyways, as i said, it looks impossible to take backup from SSH , as it loads up server,

so any other advice

Hi,

The others may have other suggestions, but I think even with DA, normal tar backup will still make more load than rysnc via ssh.

Regards,
    Bobby
    WebbyCart.com - Pushing Onwards
    Server Management | Outsourced Hosting Support | Remote / Offsite Rsync Backup | Fully Managed Servers & Cloud VPS
    sales@webbycart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Passwordz View Post
    I don't have CPanel , i work on Direct Admin, but anyways, as i said, it looks impossible to take backup from SSH , as it loads up server,

so any other advice

It would be helpful to know exactly what is getting loaded down when you do your backups. There's a good chance you're running into disk I/O limitations. You may want to inquire about RAID disk with your provider -- that will help spread your disk I/O load.

rsync is probably your best bet for a backup solution. The first time you do the rsync backup it's going to take a relatively long time (it has to do a full backup). Subsequent backups should go quite quickly since it only backs up changed files. You may want to look into using mysqldump prior to executing your backup each time -- that will give you a "clean" backup of your databases.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

>>>>>>>>>It would be helpful to know exactly what is getting loaded down when you do your backups.

May be its slow CPU !!

>>>>>>>>>There's a good chance you're running into disk I/O limitations. You may want to inquire about RAID disk with your provider -- that will help spread your disk I/O load.

How can i inquire that ? as i often see WA going upto 90% in TOP command..

>>>>>>>>>rsync is probably your best bet for a backup solution. The first time you do the rsync backup it's going to take a relatively long time (it has to do a full backup). Subsequent backups should go quite quickly since it only backs up changed files.

i am not worried about time it takes, but it hangs down the server, due to large number of files. ( Downtime to sites )

>>>>>>>>>You may want to look into using mysqldump prior to executing your backup each time -- that will give you a "clean" backup of your databases.

i have tried any TAR'ing directly from SSH root...

Quote Originally Posted by Passwordz View Post
    How can i inquire that ? as i often see WA going upto 90% in TOP command..

i am not worried about time it takes, but it hangs down the server, due to large number of files. ( Downtime to sites )

That sounds like disk I/O saturation. Try running "iostat 5" (or "iostat -x 5" for more extended info) and see what it shows.

If you have directories with a large number of files (thousands of files in them) that can cause significant I/O binding --- depending on what filesystem you're running. If that's the case, you may want to consider splitting those files up into subdirectories to see if that helps.

With respect to fixing I/O problems -- more RAM in the server can help. More efficient (lower footprint) web server can help as well as it will use less RAM and leave more available for disk cache. Setting up RAID will help. Your web host should be able to help you with those and suggest other things they may be able to do to help.
    Take 2 Hosting, Inc. - Hosting Done Right
    Fully automated setup - new servers in as little as 10 minutes
    http://www.take2hosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by msherman View Post
    That sounds like disk I/O saturation. Try running "iostat 5" (or "iostat -x 5" for more extended info) and see what it shows.

If you have directories with a large number of files (thousands of files in them) that can cause significant I/O binding --- depending on what filesystem you're running. If that's the case, you may want to consider splitting those files up into subdirectories to see if that helps.

With respect to fixing I/O problems -- more RAM in the server can help. More efficient (lower footprint) web server can help as well as it will use less RAM and leave more available for disk cache. Setting up RAID will help. Your web host should be able to help you with those and suggest other things they may be able to do to help.

Code:
    # iostat 5
    -bash: iostat: command not found

70.6% wa,