Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is a little odd:

I was NOT using anything but a IIS and FTP service online.

You clearly admit in an email that the server was being used as an illegal torrent seed box, might have something to do with the server being compromised.
      0 Not allowed!

You were only running IIS and FTP, how does that make your box invulnerable to attack? You only connected from your personal line? Again, how does that make you invulernable to attack?

Oh, and for the record, mods can (and do) change thread titles if they are blatantly misleading and inaccurate... which this one is.
      0 Not allowed!

From another thread, I think this says it all:

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixofflames View Post
    Guess that was a stupid question. This is my first dedi.
      0 Not allowed!

Jeff or Josh,

I used it to leech a few torrents much much later. You may want to check the dates of the emails.

Danny,

I never said that. I have always maintained that any other possibility was highly improbable. Again, there is a difference. And, why is the title inaccurate? I believe the service is atrocious. Are you going to defend them saying it is okay to have such dismal service (downtime, hardware failures, weak transfer speeds for 10mbit shared, downtime again) when the price is cheap?

Congrats bdsnyder, you can search. Now, what is your point?
      0 Not allowed!

Let me just spell it out to the OP:

IT WAS COMPROMISED
    That's it, don't blame your failure on VD.

As David said, you most likely attracted the hackers yourself.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!
      0 Not allowed!

Richard Sanders wrote:
    > Josh,
    >
    > Oh, that is pretty hard now. Can you give me about a week or so, so
    > I can backup the material on the server and then delete them off? I
    > will stop all seeding from now.
    >
    > Richard.
    Seems like you were "seeding" the torrent(s) by your own admission.

Regarding service, you stated all emails were answered quickly. Abuse issues seem to be related to a insecure server which you are responsible for securing. Hard drive failures were promptly taken care of and replaced. We even went as fast as trying to freeze, yes, physically place the drive in a freezer to recover any lost data. Might be missing something... but I wouldn't exactly say "atrocious".
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Political Monster View Post
    ...don't blame your failure on VD.
    Someone either can't read or doesn't have the patience to read the entire thread.

Here it is in brief for you PM:
    1). I don't care what you think.
    2). That is not just why I think their service was bad. It was a cherry on top.
      0 Not allowed!

phoenix of flames, your story is on fire... maybe some ashes left over when you're done.
      0 Not allowed!

There is certainly no need to blame VD, as they are one of most efficient and helpful host online today.

You have no right to blame any host for your own stupid deeds
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    Seems like you were "seeding" the torrent(s) by your own admission.
    When torrents are leeched, part of them gets leeched. Anyway, how is this part of the discussion anyway? They were both at completely different times.

Hard drive failures were promptly taken care of and replaced. We even went as fast as trying to freeze, yes, physically place the drive in a freezer to recover any lost data. Might be missing something... but I wouldn't exactly say "atrocious".
    Really? Two hard drive failures in a span of as many months? And twice, no data was recoverable? And, it took like four weeks to replace the hard drive and then you finally decided to offer the refund for the one time fee for it? And, every email answered immediately with a "We are on it" and "We would be replacing it today afternoon" followed by another enquiry of mine asking why it was done and the cycle repeating? Nice try with the freezing part, a few might actually have believed you. Yeah, I would consider it atrocious, even without taking the downtimes into consideration.
      0 Not allowed!

well, lets just wait til he/she switch to softlayer and have the same exact thread about softlayer installing spam software on his server
    VimHost >> 30 Days Backup | cPanel + LiteSpeed + JetBackup | DMCA FREE!
    20 Years in business ~ Premium Hosting in Toronto, Canada ~ 151 Front Street (Canadian owned and operated)
      0 Not allowed!

Someone either can't read or doesn't have the patience to read the entire thread.

Here it is in brief for you PM:
    1). I don't care what you think.
    2). That is not just why I think their service was bad. It was a cherry on top.
    I fully read and understood:

you screwed up >> box compromised, spam stuff installed > VD take it down for spam (perfectly good of them) >> you moan

Every day on WHT this kind of post happens, the OP never listens. OK, HDD failures did take some downtime, but really the main of the problem is your fault, and it looks like you're trying to (pathetically) put same shame to VD. Over & out.
      0 Not allowed!

If there is someone who reads this forum from SoftLayer, perhaps you should check on his server to make sure he isn't torrenting any copyrighted content again
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    If there is someone who reads this forum from SoftLayer, perhaps you should check on his server to make sure he isn't torrenting any copyrighted content again
    Hopefully he at least got RAID & sets up some backups this time around so he doesn't blame the provider for harddrives going out. Sheesh.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hopefully he at least got RAID & sets up some backups this time around so he doesn't blame the provider for harddrives going out. Sheesh.
    Unless he pay for some good money to the recovery shop.
      0 Not allowed!

I fully read and understood:

you screwed up >> box compromised, spam stuff installed > VD take it down for spam (perfectly good of them) >> you moan
    Lol. You really read and understood? Makes me want to question your intellect, but I suppose I should refrain. NO. They forwarded the mail to me and I gave them access to the server again to check. End of story. I canceled the service a many months later after experiencing a series of problems each one worse than the one before.

Every day on WHT this kind of post happens, the OP never listens. OK, HDD failures did take some downtime, but really the main of the problem is your fault, and it looks like you're trying to (pathetically) put same shame to VD. Over & out.
    Yeah, it is my perfectly my fault that I don't agree with the opinions of people who just want to defend at any cost with no idea of what might have actually happened or the magnitude of the problems a user might have had to go through. They just want to defend and feel better, I can only wonder why. AGAIN, THE PRIVACY PROBLEM WAS JUST A SMALL PART OF THE WHOLE THING. Yeah, sure, hard drives can fail. Search volumedrive's posts and see how many times you can find that statement. And, yeah, networks can fail. Network cards can fail. Not to mention the 4 or 5 times the 'network switch had been lose' and the mails needed to be sent to get them fixed back in place.

P.S.: Lol, Danny and David, the levels people go to prove their sense of humor.

P.P.S.: Good luck guys. Continue your debate all you want. My time is too precious to be spent arguing here. I have nothing to prove. I stated my opinion and that is that. And, definitely good luck to anyone planning to get a server from them. You'll sorely need it.
    Last edited by phoenixofflames; 05-14-2008 at 01:36 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, forgot to mention that the server was reloaded a second time because it was sending a DDoS attack. Seems like a cause for your network issues:

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:18 AM, VolumeDrive Support <support@volumedrive.com> wrote:

Hello,

Due to the severity of the ddos attacks that were coming from this
    server, it has to be taken offline. We will be reloading it shortly.

Thank You,

Jeff

VolumeDrive
    Internet Technologies

On Mar 15, 2008, at 12:38 AM, "Richard" <xxxx@gmail.com>
    wrote:

>
    > Can you check it? Why does it keep happening?
    >
    > Richard.
      0 Not allowed!

And, definitely good luck to anyone planning to get a server from them. You'll sorely need it.
    They're unmanaged servers -- more than luck is necessary. That doesn't seem to click with you. Getting an unmanaged server is sort of like building your own car.

If you only know how to drive, leave the building part to Toyota.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, forgot to mention that the server was reloaded a second time because it was sending a DDoS attack. Seems like a cause for your network issues:
    Wow. There is something that he neglected to mention...
      0 Not allowed!

Sending DDoS too. SL better dump this customer quick, either he can't manage a server (resulting in the spam and DDoS), or he is himself doing those things (on top of seeding illegal content).
      0 Not allowed!

Which was after you checked and verified my server was fine and after I installed NOD32 Internet Security Suite on it? Interesting.

You really want me to dig out the tens of mails where you sent me various interesting reasons for why the server was down, ranging from general network issues to loose cables and switches?
      0 Not allowed!

There is something that you want to know about, every server administration company requires root password to monitor all your stuff otherwise if you change them, then it is your responsibility.

Network card can be failed, at least when I was in LayeredTech, the network card has been failed 3 times in my first year, so does the hard drive. I always use Bit Torrent (1-2 torrent session per time), and my WD 500 GB failed within half year, well of course make a RAID if your data is so important. I wouldn't feel surprised that your hard drive gone bad twice in short period. Also hire a professional system administrator that could monitor your stuff without root password, if there is.
      0 Not allowed!

You really want me to dig out the tens of mails where you sent me various interesting reasons for why the server was down, ranging from general network issues to loose cables and switches?
    Well, to be honest if there was that much going on -- who knows, the downtime could purely have been a result of the outgoing ddos attacks / saturation / network being cut off by the provider.

Maybe VD wasn't doing their homework and finding out the true source of the downtime and were blaming it on random stuff just to get you to simmer down. Certainly not the first time I've heard of that happening -- so let's just clock it down as neither of you doing your homework.

F-
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Well, to be honest if there was that much going on -- who knows, the downtime could purely have been a result of the outgoing ddos attacks / saturation / network being cut off by the provider.

Maybe VD wasn't doing their homework and finding out the true source of the downtime and were blaming it on random stuff just to get you to simmer down. Certainly not the first time I've heard of that happening -- so let's just clock it down as neither of you doing your homework.

F-
    Has it crossed your mind that VD could actually be using the DDoS, etc. as an excuse? I trust the people at ESET too much to actually believe their replies.

Do you think VolumeDrive would be able to provide me with outgoing network statistics during the time when they said there were too many outgoing DDoS connections with proof of the timeline?

P.S.
    : Never before have I known a person with David as the second name. Nice.

P.P.S.: Looks like Danny and PM have resorted to the last possible way of making peace with themselves and not feel bad. Good.

Again, goodbye guys. I am out of here. Thanks for respecting my opinion and certainly for making this thread popular. Have fun.
    Last edited by phoenixofflames; 05-14-2008 at 01:59 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Has it crossed your mind that VD could actually be using the DDoS, etc. as an excuse? I trust the people at ESET too much to actually believe their replies.

Do you think VolumeDrive would be able to provide me with outgoing network statistics during the time when they said there were too many outgoing DDoS connections with proof of the timeline?

P.S.
    : Never before have I known a person with David as the second name. Nice.

P.P.S.: Looks like Danny and PM have resorted to the last possible way of making peace with themselves and not feel bad. Good.

Do not mind, but please sh*t up and get away and leave VD aside.
    and remember these are UNMANAGED SERVERS

Take care, do not come back please
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast