Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow VolumeDrive.com - Atrocious Service - Please stay away from them.

Here is my brief review of VolumeDrive.

I have been a customer with them for four complete months, and in that time my experience with them had plummeted from terrible to atrocious.

For starters, there are only two guys who run the entire company - Josh and Jeff. One of them sits at the server at any given time which would make them working 12 hours a day I guess because whenever I mail their support, I get a reply within 5 minutes from either one of them. Yes, 5 minutes. But, that is where the niceties end. Their actual knowledge or work is generally horrible to pathetic. Yes, they attend to simple concerns, but most of the time it is all due to their own fault. And, there is absolutely no privacy because every time the server goes down (which, believe me, is more than 30% of the time), you need to send them your password so they can troubleshoot your RDP. I mean, come on, what could possibly go wrong in a windows server that only I have used, and the only thing I did was setup IIS and even that was working for a couple of weeks fine.

Bandwidth is fine at 10 mbps - you get at least 1 MBps throughput either ways so I have no complaints there. But, downtime is terrible. And, the worst part is that they would not know when their network is down. I have had to mail them 8 times on 8 different occasion to correct their 'loose cable' - as they so eloquently put their excuse, and more than 30 times on other occasions (I have all the mails archived and I just counted through all of them).

Coming back to the privacy problem, once you give your password, the server is not yours. I log back into RDP after 3 days (since it was a weekend) and I see THREE new programs running - all to do with some kind of a mail forward or something. I uninstalled them all immediately at control panel. I mailed them asking what was going on and they denied any knowledge about it. I changed the password. That week, I get a mail from them saying their ISP has received abuse complaints from the server IP for mass mailing. I just could not stand it. I gave them the password to the server to look into it. They said everything is clean and resumed service. I changed password again. Soon after, the server goes down and they need the password to rectify it. I mean, come on, give me a break. Anyway, having no other choice, I did the same, and miraculously everything starts working. Soon after, I get the mail saying that I need to not change the password since they need to monitor the server since the ISP wants them to monitor the exact content of the server. The cycle had repeated over three times in the last four months.

Coming to hardware, trust me, you cannot get crappier hardware than in the 8-year old spares they sell on ebay. TWO hard drives had failed for me in the last 4 months, and I don't even use them that much. The first time was a secondary drive with so much of my data, which they could not recover even one file out of. Then, there was again some problems with the ISP about the server and I was shifted on to a new server with a new IP and a new primary drive. My old primary drive was added as a secondary so I could take my left over data. All these without any prior information to me. And, here comes the kicker: My new primary drive where I had about 10 GB of data stored moved from my secondary and where I had worked on for two days setting everything up and securing it failed in exactly 3 days! Can you imagine yourself in my position? Would you not be more pissed? I got mad. I told them I am terminating the service immediately and so I did. Here I am writing this review for the benefit of anyone who would even be considering them as a viable dedicated host. Boy, did they prove themselves to be the cheapest host! No, I am not talking about price alone. Honestly, one of the worst hosts I have tried.

Please please please stay away from them. For your own good.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it's a shame you had such a bad service with them . Hopefully your next choice will be a better one.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixofflames View Post
    I mean, come on, what could possibly go wrong in a windows server that only I have used, and the only thing I did was setup IIS and even that was working for a couple of weeks fine.
    If you've ever administered a Windows box, then you already know the answer to this.

I log back into RDP after 3 days (since it was a weekend) and I see THREE new programs running - all to do with some kind of a mail forward or something. I uninstalled them all immediately at control panel. I mailed them asking what was going on and they denied any knowledge about it.
    The windows logs will show you where the logons occured from... did you check them? I doubt highly that anyone at VD installed this software on your server.

It sounds like your Windows box was compromised, which judging by your post, it doesnt appear you are familiar with securing a windows server. With your next host, it might be a good idea to engage a professional firm who can help you secure your Windows host.

Best of luck!

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    If you've ever administered a Windows box, then you already know the answer to this.

The windows logs will show you where the logons occured from... did you check them? I doubt highly that anyone at VD installed this software on your server.

It sounds like your Windows box was compromised, which judging by your post, it doesnt appear you are familiar with securing a windows server. With your next host, it might be a good idea to engage a professional firm who can help you secure your Windows host.

Best of luck!

Sirius
    I have to agree with Sirius, it sounds very much like your box was comprimised, something which VD is not responsible for.
      0 Not allowed!

Oh that is nice Danny and Sirius. It really does makes sense now. Why didn't I think of that before? Not to mention I feel bad about discontinuing service with them and going with SoftLayer.

On a serious note, I am sure anyone would doubt the service professional who knows the customer is not very adept at managing and is given complete root access to have installed the software when it had been working perfectly fine for almost two weeks. It would be too much of a coincidence, at least for me. I understand that you can have your doubts Sirius, but I for one moment, wouldn't put my money on it. Also, try to look at the big picture. The software installed was the least of the problems.

Anyway, guys, I just wanted to voice my opinion publicly so I can help out people who are searching for a 'cheap' server asking them to look elsewhere - after all, I joined VolumeDrive after getting recommendations here (search my previous posts). Take it or leave it. No skin off my nose.
      0 Not allowed!

So, are you suggesting that VD installed spammer software on your machine, and then later sent you an email saying they have received complaints about the spammer software (that they themselves aparantly installed)
      0 Not allowed!

Whoa... VolumeDrive and Softlayer are too different markets. I mean honestly you are comparing $50/month service to $200/month service?

The guys at VD would never use a customers box to install their own software or use it to mail spam anyone.

I do not see what is wrong in you giving them the administrator password to your windows box to fix problems. How else are they supposed to login and troubleshoot things?

Well at any rate you are with Softlayer, very little complaints from that part of town.
    Managed Virtual and Dedicated Servers Los Angeles - KEVWORKS
    Now with Level(3), Mzima, Telia, Global Crossing and Bandon
      0 Not allowed!

No Danny. Read again.

They forwarded me a mail they received from their ISP.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kevworks View Post
    Whoa... VolumeDrive and Softlayer are too different markets. I mean honestly you are comparing $50/month service to $200/month service?
    No. I am saying the $50 service was bad. At any price point. And, I said I then moved on to SoftLayer. I am not comparing.
    The guys at VD would never use a customers box to install their own software or use it to mail spam anyone.
    Thanks for your opinion. Read my reply to Sirius when you get the time.

Well at any rate you are with Softlayer, very little complaints from that part of town.
    True that. They are worth every penny.
      0 Not allowed!

Softlayer are great, doubt you will have any problems with them
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Philio View Post
    Softlayer are great, doubt you will have any problems with them
    Except they're also unmanaged -- and from the first post -- you can see that the OP was exploited & used as a spam bot. This will reoccur wherever he goes.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Except they're also unmanaged -- and from the first post -- you can see that the OP was exploited & used as a spam bot. This will reoccur wherever he goes.
    It was not. And, I have professionals managing it right now. I appreciate your concern though, really.
      0 Not allowed!

It was not.
    Do you still believe that VD installed spam software on your box?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    Do you still believe that VD installed spam software on your box?
    Yeah, I have my reasons. If you have talked to Josh and Jeff and noticed how Jeff acts, I am sure you would understand too.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I have my reasons. If you have talked to Josh and Jeff and noticed how Jeff acts, I am sure you would understand too.
    Just because either of them may have a trait you dislike, doesn't make them spammers. I can assure you they didn't -- hell, I'll vouch for them & I've never spoken to either of them! If they wanted to spam they'd just rent servers anonymously and spam. They wouldn't sacrifice their business to send out a few spam e-mails.

You put up a publicly facing service & left it to rot. You were exploited as a result. I'm certain a large chunk of your downtime was probably the result of the continued exploitation. A box doesn't just get put online and "runs fine" just because it "only has one user".
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Just to clarify a few things:

Regarding your server being compromised / insecure, the original complaint was from back in January at which time we (at your request) had a look at the server and did not find any offending evidence.

At the end of February we received a another spam complaint from our ISP at which point they null routed your IP address, as we state, it's your responsibility to properly secure your server, and no we did not install any software thats just an absurd statement.

Upon further investigation during this time, we noticed that your server was being used as a illegal torrent seed box and was seeding copyrighted material. At which point we stated that it had to be removed ASAP. This was also dually noted by you. I guess you failed to mention you were breaking our TOS and AUP.

Your reply:

Richard Sanders wrote:
    > Josh,
    >
    > Oh, that is pretty hard now. Can you give me about a week or so, so
    > I can backup the material on the server and then delete them off? I
    > will stop all seeding from now.
    >
    > Richard.

At this point it was obvious that the files needed to be removed and the server reloaded. We did this, AND in addition gave you access to remove any content that you required by placing your old drive as a slave drive.

Now on to hard drive failures. Yes, you did have 2 hard drive failures that are horrible and unfortunate. We went as far as completely refunding your one-time fee for the 250GB hard drive, spent an entire week trying to recover very important files from the last hard drive failure AND tried freezing the hard drive to get the files off. In the end it was a severe failure so we could not recover the files. A fresh hard drive was then placed in the server.

Email to you regarding the hard drive failure:

> Being that you are dissatisfied and have had two hard drive
    > failures. I
    > will extend a full refund for the hard drive ($25) plus a discount
    > this
    > month of $10. You have until your next billing cycle at that point if
    > you decide to cancel. Please advise.
    Last edited by volumix; 05-14-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co
      0 Not allowed!

I am a VD customer and have spoken to both Josh and Jeff many times. What your suggesting is beyond rediculous, VD are a professional, established company and unless you can backup what your saying, its defamation.
      0 Not allowed!

Hardware failures can and do happen with every provider.

Did you notice that volumedrive's servers are not managed ? Josh and Jeff are helpful by nature and they will always try to help, the servers be managed or not.
    This is just not fair to pretend "atrocious" a service they are not supposed to offer.

We have servers with volumedrive for 18 months and don't hesitate to recommend them to our customers. I must say that we never lost any customers because of them either.
    Beside some issues with the network, that were out of VD's hands at this time and that have been fixed since the move to VD's own facilities, they're all very happy with their servers

Keep up the great job, Josh and Jeff !
    Marie - Co-Owner
    Need Further Assistance ? Here you go !
    English, french and spanish support
      0 Not allowed!

Just because either of them may have a trait you dislike, doesn't make them spammers. I can assure you they didn't -- hell, I'll vouch for them & I've never spoken to either of them! If they wanted to spam they'd just rent servers anonymously and spam. They wouldn't sacrifice their business to send out a few spam e-mails.
    Interesting theory. Though I couldn't come up with an alternate explanation as to how all those cropped up at the exact time I had them check on the server.

You put up a publicly facing service & left it to rot. You were exploited as a result. I'm certain a large chunk of your downtime was probably the result of the continued exploitation. A box doesn't just get put online and "runs fine" just because it "only has one user".
    It was online for two weeks. It was a private backup server. And, no, they acknowledged their network problems AND hardware failures as the cause of their downtime themselves.

Wow, I love replying to opinions of people who have never tried their service or intend to try them. Worthy time spent.

Anyway, my last words in this thread: Try to avoid them as much as possible. But, it is true that you wouldn't find a cheaper service. In every sense of the word.

P.S.: One of the many other threads just in WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=691619
    Last edited by phoenixofflames; 05-14-2008 at 12:13 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    ....upon further investigation during this time, we noticed that your server was being used as a illegal torrent seed box and was seeding copyrighted material. ....
    Why has no one made a comment about this?

I'm pretty sure spamming and warez fall under the same moral standards. I doubt that VD installed spamming software, rather your box was targeted because it was seeding warez and unsecured. You probably attracted the crowd to yourself.
      0 Not allowed!

It was online for two weeks. It was a private backup server.
    A windows system will be exploited within 15 minutes of putting it online if it's not properly secured & at least has some semblance of a firewall in place. If it was a private backup server, why is it running a forward facing IIS installation?

It was exploited. That's that.
      0 Not allowed!

If you have talked to Josh and Jeff and noticed how Jeff acts, I am sure you would understand too.
    I have talked to both a lot since 18 months and I sure don't understand what you mean.

This is not an opinion. Fact is that the service has always been fast, helpful, efficient, friendly... in one word : excellent.
    Marie - Co-Owner
    Need Further Assistance ? Here you go !
    English, french and spanish support
      0 Not allowed!

Phoenix,

I am sorry but your conspiracy theory is likely just that. No (Zero) provider would do what you are suggesting. The problem is that their upstreams regard them as the client and they too are at risk so they can't just pass the buck to you as the client without jepordizing the rest of their operation.

The other thing to realize is that they don't NEED your password if they intend on causing you grief and have physical access to the server. If their intent was to cause pain to you, they certainly wouldn't let you know.

Were you runnning torrents on the server? If so, thats probably a good reason that someone tried to take over your server.

Windows and Linux boxes get compromised all the time. Its a fact of life on the Internet.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support
      0 Not allowed!

If VD really wanted to start spamming, then why do it on a clients box? I'm sure they have plenty of spare machines lying around that they could just run on one of those.

I think its been fairly well established that your server must have been compromised.

What makes me laugh is once the truth about these torrents has came out, and now he has seen that there are quite a few VD customers who are giving fact about their experience (not opinion), phoenixofflames has now stopped responding to the thread.

I think a mod should change the thread title...
      0 Not allowed!

Danny,

I told you I am signing out of this thread already. Honestly, I am quite bugged. You are free to come to your conclusions. But, as I told you before, it is not going to change mine.

Till that particular incident where you guys seem to be hell bent on discussing and proving me wrong, even though that is a minor issue as far as I am concerned and contributed very little to why I thoroughly despise their service, I was NOT using anything but a IIS and FTP service online. And that was just for a test and I was only connecting to it from my personal line. I just don't see how it could happen only to this particular server and at that particular time. End of argument. Unless you could provide details to prove that there indeed was an exploit (which the 'nice' guys Jeff and Josh could not identify when I gave them access again to check right after I removed those programs and complained to them), I have nothing else to say.

And, no, a mod cannot change the title. I still stand by every word I had written and people are free to regard it as an opinion and an opinion only.
      0 Not allowed!

This is a little odd:

I was NOT using anything but a IIS and FTP service online.

You clearly admit in an email that the server was being used as an illegal torrent seed box, might have something to do with the server being compromised.
      0 Not allowed!

You were only running IIS and FTP, how does that make your box invulnerable to attack? You only connected from your personal line? Again, how does that make you invulernable to attack?

Oh, and for the record, mods can (and do) change thread titles if they are blatantly misleading and inaccurate... which this one is.
      0 Not allowed!

From another thread, I think this says it all:

Guess that was a stupid question. This is my first dedi.
      0 Not allowed!

Jeff or Josh,

I used it to leech a few torrents much much later. You may want to check the dates of the emails.

Danny,

I never said that. I have always maintained that any other possibility was highly improbable. Again, there is a difference. And, why is the title inaccurate? I believe the service is atrocious. Are you going to defend them saying it is okay to have such dismal service (downtime, hardware failures, weak transfer speeds for 10mbit shared, downtime again) when the price is cheap?

Congrats bdsnyder, you can search. Now, what is your point?
      0 Not allowed!

Let me just spell it out to the OP:

IT WAS COMPROMISED
    That's it, don't blame your failure on VD.

As David said, you most likely attracted the hackers yourself.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!
      0 Not allowed!

Richard Sanders wrote:
    > Josh,
    >
    > Oh, that is pretty hard now. Can you give me about a week or so, so
    > I can backup the material on the server and then delete them off? I
    > will stop all seeding from now.
    >
    > Richard.
    Seems like you were "seeding" the torrent(s) by your own admission.

Regarding service, you stated all emails were answered quickly. Abuse issues seem to be related to a insecure server which you are responsible for securing. Hard drive failures were promptly taken care of and replaced. We even went as fast as trying to freeze, yes, physically place the drive in a freezer to recover any lost data. Might be missing something... but I wouldn't exactly say "atrocious".
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Political Monster View Post
    ...don't blame your failure on VD.
    Someone either can't read or doesn't have the patience to read the entire thread.

Here it is in brief for you PM:
    1). I don't care what you think.
    2). That is not just why I think their service was bad. It was a cherry on top.
      0 Not allowed!

phoenix of flames, your story is on fire... maybe some ashes left over when you're done.
      0 Not allowed!

There is certainly no need to blame VD, as they are one of most efficient and helpful host online today.

You have no right to blame any host for your own stupid deeds
      0 Not allowed!

Seems like you were "seeding" the torrent(s) by your own admission.
    When torrents are leeched, part of them gets leeched. Anyway, how is this part of the discussion anyway? They were both at completely different times.

Hard drive failures were promptly taken care of and replaced. We even went as fast as trying to freeze, yes, physically place the drive in a freezer to recover any lost data. Might be missing something... but I wouldn't exactly say "atrocious".
    Really? Two hard drive failures in a span of as many months? And twice, no data was recoverable? And, it took like four weeks to replace the hard drive and then you finally decided to offer the refund for the one time fee for it? And, every email answered immediately with a "We are on it" and "We would be replacing it today afternoon" followed by another enquiry of mine asking why it was done and the cycle repeating? Nice try with the freezing part, a few might actually have believed you. Yeah, I would consider it atrocious, even without taking the downtimes into consideration.
      0 Not allowed!

well, lets just wait til he/she switch to softlayer and have the same exact thread about softlayer installing spam software on his server
    VimHost█ Providing Web Hosting since 2003: 13 Years of Dedication to our customers ~ Premium Hosting in Canada
    Email Hosting | RTMP Hosting | FFMPEG Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Someone either can't read or doesn't have the patience to read the entire thread.

Here it is in brief for you PM:
    1). I don't care what you think.
    2). That is not just why I think their service was bad. It was a cherry on top.
    I fully read and understood:

you screwed up >> box compromised, spam stuff installed > VD take it down for spam (perfectly good of them) >> you moan

Every day on WHT this kind of post happens, the OP never listens. OK, HDD failures did take some downtime, but really the main of the problem is your fault, and it looks like you're trying to (pathetically) put same shame to VD. Over & out.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!
      0 Not allowed!

If there is someone who reads this forum from SoftLayer, perhaps you should check on his server to make sure he isn't torrenting any copyrighted content again
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    If there is someone who reads this forum from SoftLayer, perhaps you should check on his server to make sure he isn't torrenting any copyrighted content again
    Hopefully he at least got RAID & sets up some backups this time around so he doesn't blame the provider for harddrives going out. Sheesh.
      0 Not allowed!

Hopefully he at least got RAID & sets up some backups this time around so he doesn't blame the provider for harddrives going out. Sheesh.
    Unless he pay for some good money to the recovery shop.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast