Question how often do you upgrade your dedicated servers?

I have a few dedicated servers, and I noticed recently that one of them is 4 years old.

The server ran "fine", but what ~$200 could buy 4 years ago is a lot different than the technology, speed that ~$200 can buy today.

Is that a good sign that it's time to get a new dedicated server?

Do you ask your current datacenter to upgrade the current server or do you just get a new box and migrate your data to the new beefed up server?

you would have to get a whole new machine, theres no way to upgrade your current machine to today's specs.

If you don't need a more powerful server it may be worth trying to get the DC to drop the price in line with current prices for your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    you would have to get a whole new machine, theres no way to upgrade your current machine to today's specs.
    That's what I figured. I was wondering if this was standard practice though? Do people really move to bigger faster servers (and migrate their data) every X number of years?

Quote Originally Posted by Philio
    If you don't need a more powerful server it may be worth trying to get the DC to drop the price in line with current prices for your hardware.
    Interesting, I didn't even think of that as an option. Do you know if the major DC usually do that?

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyB View Post
    That's what I figured. I was wondering if this was standard practice though? Do people really move to bigger faster servers (and migrate their data) every X number of years?
    Of course not, there's no reason at all that you need too unless you actually need more power. In fact, you may be safer on older hardware that you've had for a long time as you have a history of stability and reliability. New hardware, you can never know when it will die so you are more on edge then.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyB View Post
    Interesting, I didn't even think of that as an option. Do you know if the major DC usually do that?
    TBH, I'm not sure! If they are still selling servers with similar spec that you have they will almost certainly be cheaper than they were 4 years ago, if that's the case I'm sure they would match the new price at least.

If you've had it 4 years they have probably made the equivalent of several times the value of the server off you, it can't do any harm to ask. If they won't budge tell them your moving and see if they will make a deal - some profit is better than no profit.

I think even if you dont need the faster server. I would suggest to get a new server ( hardware) as 4 years old machine can break anytime ( HDDs)

Agree with AFerrier also. We've never upgraded just for the sake of it, if it's not broke don't fix it!

We started out 3 years ago with 1 dedi, upgraded to 2 dedi's when he first one got overloaded, then upgraded again 2 3 much more powerful colo's (however the move to colo was due to massive savings on running costs).

Quote Originally Posted by cheaptraffic View Post
    I think even if you dont need the faster server. I would suggest to get a new server ( hardware) as 4 years old machine can break anytime ( HDDs)
    That's not nescessarily the case though, the biggest wear on a hard drive is the start/stop cycles, not really an issue for an always on server. RAID 1 + regular backups is always good too.

Talking not enough

I suspect there is a large audience in the web world that has not kept up with new machines. This means you are probably overpaying - since a lot of machines are much faster than those that are 4 years old and they are nearly half the price. I have spoken with a few people, and most are simply not interested in taking the time to upgrade - buts its pretty simple and can save you a lot of money.........oh yeah and you get a much better machine in the process
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

I can attest to the start stop cycles for HDDs. Had a few boxes with over 600 days uptime and no problems but the moment we had to reboot, it failed to boot.

Lucky for us, We were running RAID5 so we just popped in another drive and rebuilt the raid array and we were good to go. The ordeal made us go ahead and swap the other drive while we were at it and the data was saved.
    Chris Reed
    Revogate Inc.
    Revolutionizing Business Technology
    Web Hosting, XenServer Virtualization, and IT Consulting

If you have got a standard site (eg simple cpanel to cpanel transfer), then i'd say go for a new hardware.. it's good to be up to date
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

get new hardware every 1/2 years - cheaper and better

There isn't really a timeline for upgrades, but you can also consider what you could do with an upgrade that would be, most likely, about equal in cost with better hardware. By upgrading, you also open your options in terms of innovation with what you can do with the data you currently have. Or you could even reduce your number of servers through consolidation and load balancing on more powerful machines.

I would say stay put for 2-3 years and then look at new one. If your budget allows, always maintain disk redundancy (RAID).

<< Please setup signature in user profile >>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 05-15-2008 at 05:13 AM.

Every two-three years is a good period of time in which to look for upgrades, however it could be important to look even sooner than that for possibly significant upgrades with better hardware that are on special with reduced prices. Cost is just important as the hardware you're getting.