SATA 15K vs SCSI 15K vs SAS 15K ?

Hi,

I wonder which drive give the best performance? Look like they all have the same 15000 rpm. :d

Any experience?

Where are you seeing 15k RPM SATA drives?

15k SAS and SCSI will generally give equivalent performance, as they're basically the same thing. Only real difference is the dedicated bandwidth on the SAS ports, which would be useful if you're maxing out a SCSI interface, which generally isn't the case.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by cheaptraffic View Post
    Hi,

I wonder which drive give the best performance? Look like they all have the same 15000 rpm. :d

Any experience?
    There is no such think as a 15k sata drive, there are 10k rpm sata drives, but that is the max.

The fastest of the 3 are 2.5" 15k rpm SAS (serial attached scsi). The normal scsi drives are still a good option as they are faster than the 10k sata and in some cases they are cheaper than the 10k rpm sata drives.
    Daniel Pautz - WebNX, Inc. dan >< WebNX.com
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Quote Originally Posted by WebNX View Post
    There is no such think as a 15k sata drive, there are 10k rpm sata drives, but that is the max.

The fastest of the 3 are 2.5" 15k rpm SAS (serial attached scsi). The normal scsi drives are still a good option as they are faster than the 10k sata and in some cases they are cheaper than the 10k rpm sata drives.
    Well, that depends. On the 2.5" SAS drives you'll generally get higher access times, but lower max throughput numbers, thus it depends on the type of data being served. That is at least according to a couple benchmarks I had seen.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

i saw it here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=692874

SINGLE XEON QUAD CORE 3210 / 1066FSB / 8MB CACHE
    4GB DDR2
    x2 300GB SATA 15,000RPM(RAID-1)
    5 IPs (4 usable)
    Free KVMoIP! (DRAC Card)
    3,500 GB Bandwidth
    1000 Mbps Port

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    Well, that depends. On the 2.5" SAS drives you'll generally get higher access times, but lower max throughput numbers, thus it depends on the type of data being served. That is at least according to a couple benchmarks I had seen.
    I am going by our own tests, all of our tests are in raid setups are most of our clients use the faster drives for DB server or high speed NAS setups. But yes, if its used for raw reads of single huge files, more platters = faster transfers, however this is rarely needed in the webhosting world.
    WebNX.com Enterprise Hosting Solutions Los Angeles and Manhattan NewYork based Servers
    High end Dedicated Servers at reasonable prices and a Premium network with 9x providers route optimized with the Noction IRP

Quote Originally Posted by cheaptraffic View Post
    I am sure its a typo, I would bet they are SAS drives.

small 2.5" sas 15k will give you best preformance, especially if you have 8 of them in raid 0