how many percentage of hosts out there do not provide cpanel

I have a question
    in my country 99% of web masters do not know what cpanel is!
    they hardly have any other way of controling things
    they use ssh or telnet or ftp and send a support request

now my question how many percentage of hosting companies in the world do not provide cpanel?

And if you as a host do not provide cpanel how should you expalin that to the client?

Is cpanel really necessary?

Obviously cpanel is not necessary, however having a control panel of some sort definitely helps to add to ease of use.

There are plenty of other panels in use currently, cpanel is just one of many. Some others which come to mind are DirectAdmin, Plesk, Helm, Hsphere, webmin/virtualmin, interworx, and confixx. There are plenty of others out there too that list is hardly inclusive.

We don't use cPanel, nor like it too much. There's also lots of hosts with Plesk, DirectAdmin, etc ... I'd expect most people to want some form of control panel though. SSH is not very well-known to the beginner and many people like accessing their files online in stead of through an ftp client. Webmail and such is also used a lot and then there's database management and all the other features found on most control panels. Webmin is also an option.

So conclusion: it is not necessary to have a control panel (especially cpanel), but to have a wide enough target audience it is best to have some form of control panel.

Well, you can be sure that most web hosts haven't heard of Cpanel, and most web hosts don't use Cpanel. Who knows how many actually use control panels at all, or of the different one's, which one's. Enough hosts do use it, and probably WHT is the largest community of web hosts that do in general. I believe web hosts that were or are members of WHT were the first to really use it and if it weren't for WHT I doubt that Cpanel would be as popular or even be known. It was an in-house product for dedicated clients on VDI's network originally, which was a popular provider here back in the very late 90's and early 2000's. From there, it was asked for outside of VDI and the rest is ... something... So, here it seems like everyone should have heard of it, among other certain web hosting communities, but overall it's a very small slice of the market, so don't expect most people to know about it or use it.

Running without cPanel will save you some headaches if you know how to admin a server without a GUI.

Usually done for larger, heavier sites.
    ePhase Networks L.L.C.
    Absolute Hosting Since 2007
    http://www.ephasenetworks.com

Cpanel/WHM is by far the best control panel in my opinion. WHM offer so many features and integrates real well with the servers.

Basically if you are going to be a Webhosting company you are going to need a control panel for users. Unless you want to sit around all day and have tickets coming in so you can login and create email addresses through shell

I recommend CPanel/WHM Highly. I've dealt with Plesk and while it is "ok" Cpanel is awesome and easy to use. WHM you can even reboot your server if you have a dedicated.

WHM offer so many features and integrates real well with the servers.
    Other control panels do a much better job in this regard. For example, if you want integration and automation, it's hard to beat H-Sphere. cPanel is not even close.

WHM you can even reboot your server if you have a dedicated.
    I've puzzled as to why you would want to use the control panel to reboot the system when there are many superior methods...I don't consider this a benefit to WHM.

I believe many webhosts use cPanel, Helm, Plesk and DirectAdmin. I have been webhosting my own stuff for a very, VERY long time and I prefer SSH and FTP. However, I do own a life-time license for DirectAdmin and use it regularly now. For my reselling, I use WHM/cPanel, because I believe its a little better known and its supported by many reselling packages out there.

DA is great though. cPanel doesn't have great support on their side of the house and it also restricts you to how you set up your own servers, whereas DA does not. DA also is very simple to use and it doesn't need a seperate WHM panel to do the Reseller and Server/Cluster Admin stuff. Their support is excellant as well.

I used to use Plesk sometimes as it was my first real webhosting control panel. It wasn't feature rich back then, and it doesn't seem to be so now. Though I can't exactly comment what its like in recent years other than from what I've read.

I use Webmin on my own server as well, because its modules just make it simple to setup and manage configurations of many useful core *nix OS stuff and some not-so-core stuff. I do find it very useful. Especially as I'm a command-line guy and absolutely do not run a X-Server. As for its WebHosting features...well I didn't like them. There are some pay for use modules out there for it geared towards WebHosting, but I've never heard of them outside of the modules section of Webmin. I doubt any large webhost's use Webmin as their webhosting control panels.

As far as Reboots are concerned, DA does reboots in the Admin section, WHM does reboots, Plesk does Reboots, and I believe both Helm and H-Sphere will as well, just as long as it has been enabled. But really if you are using a dedicated box, you are most likely going to use SSH, a Reboot Port, or KVMoIP.

what moving sites from cpanel to Direct admin?
    Is that possible

With the more recent changes to cpanel I'm not entirely sure. However, there has been a tool floating around the net for some time on converting cpanel site backups to a Directadmin site backup for use in restoring. In short yes it should be relatively easy provided the tool I mentioned will work yet (it's a perl based script which converts the backup tarball).

Where are you come from HelpHelp? I'm just curious. About cPanel... It is just functional software that works good for many web hosting company. I however prefer branded platform because I believe that everyone should customize the solutions they offer to customers. And this requires to develop your own software platform.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

We have used CPanel/WHM on our servers and they are quite handful. They are loaded with specific functions. On the other hand, we have a new server that is using DirectAdmin, this one is much simpler and client-friendly.

Hope this helps.
    WEB.COM.PH | Domain Name Registration | Web Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation
    Peso Web Hosting. For Pinoys. Made Easy. Visit www.web.com.ph now!
    Email us @ support[at]web.com.ph

Actually, it is very difficult to count how many percentage of hosts out there do not provide cpanel, but their latest packages are already Cpanel based.

Quote Originally Posted by HelpHelp View Post
    Is cpanel really necessary?
    Actually, Cpanel is not necessary, however I would say it is very convenient for usage.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DProf4online View Post
    Actually, Cpanel is not necessary, however I would say it is very convenient for usage.
    I agree!
    WEB.COM.PH | Domain Name Registration | Web Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Colocation

Greetings:

cpanel is but one of several, yet another control panel systems that provide partial hosting automation.

I don't know how many hosting providers use cpanel; I know we don't (we use H-Sphere).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Funny thing to here that there are hosts these days who don't know about Cpanel.

I agree that previously not many people might have known about it but now they should have at least heard of it.

From what I can see most web hosts provide Cpanel (from my obeservation).

I love DirectAdmin. I must say it is very professional control panel and even though it doesn't have as many features as cPanel I'm sure the DA coders and staff will add some goodies after they get the important stuff added to the Panel.

It's just a very simple, easy to use program. I don't recommend any other.

Quote Originally Posted by HostPhenom View Post
    I love DirectAdmin. I must say it is very professional control panel and even though it doesn't have as many features as cPanel I'm sure the DA coders and staff will add some goodies after they get the important stuff added to the Panel.

It's just a very simple, easy to use program. I don't recommend any other.

I agree with you!