So I blocked download/steam links using robots.txt...

Hello, I decided to block the links on my sites that deal only with downloads. However when viewing Google Webmaster tools there are now over 5000 download links that are being blocked with robots.txt. Since Google spidered/indexed so many of them I wonder if it is good to block them now? Meaning will people who are searching for specific content be directed to the site's page instead of just the download link? Basically I want to know if it has a negative impact on my SEO now.

You probably need to answer this question yourself. Are you download pages the ones ranking and getting traffic?

How are you blocking the download links? Through roots.txt or nofollow attribute?
    Jaan Kanellis | iNET Interactive

I am blocking with robots.txt yes. I am not using nofollow on on the links on the site since when studying nofollow I heard that the bot still checks out the link but just doesn't reward it PR credit.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington View Post
    I am blocking with robots.txt yes. I am not using nofollow on on the links on the site since when studying nofollow I heard that the bot still checks out the link but just doesn't reward it PR credit.
    Sure that is true.

Still if your page is ranking fine that contained the download links, simply blocking the spider from accessing the download link shouldnt be a concern fro SEO. Still not sure why you felt it necessary to do so.

what's the reason to block URLs if they're getting traffic
    Google won't reward other pages, I guess

Basically they are only urls that are direct downloads to files and I really do not want that spidered but rather my site pages instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lexington View Post
    I really do not want that spidered but...
    WHY? Blocking or not blocking these download files makes no difference in how the page is going to be indexed and ranked.