T1 of bandwidth too little?

I've found a colocation company that gives me as the default 1.544Mbps as the initial bandwidth. I think this is OK for me most of the time, the problem is their bandwidth isn't really 'burstable', and If I want to expand to more bandwidth, my options are something like buying another T1's worth muxed in for $250.

Is this strange? Old-fashioned? Should I be worried about this?

Including a base provision with the colo is grand, but to not offer 95th percentile on-top would be strange. Prices sound most askew too.

That is rather odd - most colo providers run a direct Ethernet connection to your cage; it sounds like these guys might actually be providing your bandwidth via T1 cross-connects to their MUX? Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it is strange and old-fashioned.

$250/mo for 1.544mb in a colo is rather high -- that's $162/mbit. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by burk View Post
    I've found a colocation company that gives me as the default 1.544Mbps as the initial bandwidth. I think this is OK for me most of the time, the problem is their bandwidth isn't really 'burstable', and If I want to expand to more bandwidth, my options are something like buying another T1's worth muxed in for $250.

Who is your colo?

It is both strange AND old-fashioned. I'd be looking for another colo, or start telling your current colo to upgrade to 1990's-era technology.

We provide unrestricted fast-Ethernet drops to all our colo customers by default, and gig-E copper or fiber upon request. I personally haven't even SEEN a "T-1" (DS1) data circuit in over 6 years. I'd be shocked if a customer actually requested one.
    --chuck goolsbee, Prineville, Oregon, USA
    Please note: I no longer work for digital.forest in Seattle, WA, as I left them in early 2010 to pursue an amazing opportunity at an amazing datacenter project elsewhere... I do not speak for digital.forest here. However I still know they provide the best colocation in the Pacific Northwest.

OK, thanks everyone. Listening to you I stopped talking to the sales guy and talked to the boss. Short story.... Sales guy was a little confused. They do it the normal way, and I'm getting set up with a burstable ethernet drop as I've seen described elsewhere (in my case 1.5Mbs burstable to 10).

That's why is seemed so strange, because I was misinformed!
    -burk

So they are selling in T1 increments on ethernet. Typically you will only see T1 increments if they are actually selling you T1s. Good for an office installation but not a colo installation.

We do this on some servers also. We provide an unthrottled T1 meaning we dont have to worry about limiting max gigabits per month and having an unhappy customer due to overage charges or being shut down when max is reached. Obviously internal is 100mbps or gig, but the connection to the outside world is what we advertise, not internal speeds like many do. There's no way to sell a dedicated 100mbps unmonitored public connection on a less than $100 server. A 100mbps connection costs waaaaay more than $100. So some places, like ours, openly advertise T1 with each server.

At one time I thought this was nowhere near enough in reality. Hundreds of such servers have proven me wrong. T1's seems to do just fine for some pretty busy servers... If they need more, it's a simple matter of upping their max speeds. I will admit though... $250 per additional T1 seems a bit high. It would I suppose depend on the carrier being used for you. For example, AT&T is extremely reliable, but also extremely expensive.... whereas others.... *ahem* cogent.... if you get the idea..

Speaking of cogent.... are they still in business? I have not seen anything about cogent in a very long time, last I heard they were turning down circuits nationwide, I dont know if its true or not... any word?

I spoke with a regional sales manager for Cogent about 2 months ago and from what I got from him, Cogent was rapidly expanding.
    Chris Reed
    Revogate Inc.
    Revolutionizing Business Technology
    Web Hosting, XenServer Virtualization, and IT Consulting

I have seen a T1 circuit recently, AND I am using one at work, but its for backup purposes. In case everything fails, we can still log in from outside world and fix stuff. My device that I use is a cosole port server. Dial up would be fine for me, cause the items I am connecting to, are that slow.

Now on your end, DANG, thats expensive for you. I would defiantly request they got into the 2000's, or look elsewhere, Only places I can see offering T1 as an option is your in the middle of nowhere, and don't want to colo where there is a better connection.
    Geek

1.5Mbps is usable

I had a dedicated for a little bit because I wanted to learn more about hosting and stuff. None of my sites got hits (I can't think of anything interesting) but I started hosting a site for a friend and he got a lot. The forum had around 275 members and servered up 5,000 pages a day. I guess that isn't really that big but to me (getting no hits) that seems like a lot. Anyhow the bandwidth chart shows usage around 700-800k with a few 3Mbps spikes everyweek or so. Probablly when I was running apt-get upgrade.

Edit: Oh for me I usually go for the plans that are something like 500Gigs monthly xfer on 100Mbps port for so much a month. Since like i said I don't get a lot of hits so I know when I'm updating or something it will fly and i'll still only have to pay the same price. but chances are via 95% rule most spikes would get flattened out.
    Last edited by KayakStudio; 05-14-2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: opion added

when using apt-get your not likely to make it spike the way you think. Most serving your doing is upload speeds, doing updates is downloads.

Calpop like most datacenters have tons of bandwidth for downloading, cause most of the bandwidth is going out. The bosses keep trying to come with ideas to make use of it.
    Geek

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTek View Post
    when using apt-get your not likely to make it spike the way you think. Most serving your doing is upload speeds, doing updates is downloads.

Calpop like most datacenters have tons of bandwidth for downloading, cause most of the bandwidth is going out. The bosses keep trying to come with ideas to make use of it.
    yeah you're right. I didn't think about right. You'll have to excuse me I'm tired! And I actually was at calpop.

You could suggest to get some iTunes accounts or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentColo-Dave View Post
    Does that T1 colo package come with free dial-up?

nice one
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

They want(ed) to do a backup service. I suggest not, atleast not with the calpop name. Not saying its a bad idea, its honestly a good one, BUT Calpop doesn't have a reputation for being a 100% responsible, and I could foresee horrible things going wrong.
    Geek

Quote Originally Posted by tnndotnet View Post
    Speaking of cogent.... are they still in business? I have not seen anything about cogent in a very long time, last I heard they were turning down circuits nationwide, I dont know if its true or not... any word?
    I HEARD THE ENTIRE INTERNET WAS TURNING OFF TOMORROW!

Quote Originally Posted by jwr View Post
    I HEARD THE ENTIRE INTERNET WAS TURNING OFF TOMORROW!
    Impossible since Al Gore invented it. It's invincible.

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    That was good. I haven't seen that episode yet. I seriously haven't watched South Park in 8 months. :/ I miss it.
    Last edited by kmlvinc; 05-15-2008 at 01:10 PM.