Fused Network vs. Precision Effect

Greetings.

I've been scouring various hosting review sites trying to get a feel of what might be the best fit for me. After reading a few reviews on the WHT forums, I'm down to a choice between Fused Network and Precision Effect. It seems like both are equally preferred by the users here, but I haven't been able to grasp what might be the best fit for a personal site. I don't anticipate needing to upload any massive media files, but I'd like to have the option. The site would mainly be used to showcase my web work, and probably aggregate information from different social networking API's (e.g. Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr).

Some of my questions I have are:

• What are the advantages of cPanel over Plesk?
    • Is 20GB bandwidth a reasonable amount if I'm expecting to be dugg once in awhile?
    • Is performance/page-loading time noticeably better due to PE's accelerated PHP environment?

Maybe this is overkill for a personal site, but I'd like to find a reliable host that I can stay with for over a year while I construct my online present from the ground up. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers!

- cPanel is more user-friendly towards starter users of web administration, easier to commit tasks, more straight forward and simple.

- 20GB Bandwidth is a fair bit, but when you say dugg; do you mean you expect to get Digg.com traffic spikes? Then 20GB is hardly anything!

- I would say it's not much noticable.

Well -- in my opinion:
    1. Plesk is horrible to be quite frank, but I'm against their bloated / difficult to navigate panel. Overall though the panel isn't used often beyond setting up e-mail accounts so it wouldn't be a show-stopper.

2. It depends on the content really. While digg is 'traffic heavy', if you're only serving some web-work up and nothing too massive sizewise, 20 gigabytes could easily serve an awful lot of pageviews.

Now obviously if you've got a large image or video (e.g. a couple of megs) loading each time you'll only get a few thousand hits before croaking.

3. I can't say as I haven't utilized PE's services before.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I guess to address the bandwidth then: one of the huge pulls to PE for me is their advertised free upgrading/downgrading between packages. Does Fused have the same offer? If so, I'm pretty much sold.

Quote Originally Posted by styll View Post
    Thanks for the quick feedback!

I guess to address the bandwidth then: one of the huge pulls to PE for me is their advertised free upgrading/downgrading between packages. Does Fused have the same offer? If so, I'm pretty much sold.
    There's no additional fees beyond the package prices -- for example if you upgrade you'll pay the difference between fused1 and fused2 but there's no fee. Charging users to 'upgrade' or 'downgrade' is sort of like giving them a free excuse to complain
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks for the info

I'll be signing up now, and will post a review after the 30-day period.

I like cpanel.....hate Plesk.

D&G's a decent guy, runs a very steady ship and usually sleeps on here, so you'll have no problems.

owm
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

PE is using DirectAdmin right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    PE is using DirectAdmin right now.
    Exactly. I'm not even sure why Plesk had anything to do with this as we haven't been putting new customers on it for almost a year now.

We've had many customers tell us that they prefer our control panel to cPanel (and have switched to it from cPanel). We also could have answered the other questions in the original post right away if an email/ticket had been submitted to our sales team.

Congratulations David, I guess sitting on WHT all day pays off

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Dave View Post
    Congratulations David, I guess sitting on WHT all day pays off
    Google alerts do wonders

Quote Originally Posted by styll View Post
    Thanks for the info

I'll be signing up now, and will post a review after the 30-day period.
    Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by David; 05-12-2008 at 09:19 PM.
    David