Angry What's with not giving a refund?

I need your opinion on the following situation:

I had a website hosted at Hard Hat Hosting - VDS account. Some weeks back, they emailed me saying that my website is using up too many resources which is affecting other accounts on the server. Their suggestion was that I should move up to a dedicated account.

I asked them to give me two weeks but I was told that I should tell them much sooner as the situation was urgent and they had 20other clients to think of. So on their insistence I told them I'll let them know by Monday (this was around 3 or 4 days before). I then looked around for other options as I wasn't too happy with their dedicated server one.

I found one and went mad transferring everything on such short notice but I did so and sent an email asking them to cancel my account.

The next day I get hit with a charge for the next month.

On asking I got told that they require a 14 day notice period - please note that that they are the ones who insisted I do something asap.

Then it turns out they stall me for another week or two as the owner who had asked me to hurry up was out of office. Apparently he had no email access for a week either. I was supposed to be contacted by Thursday morning which extended to Monday.

So 10 days later I get told that they charged me in the morning and the email was sent in the afternoon. Guess what? I get an SMS at the exact time my credit card gets charged. The card was charged over 12 hours after my email and not before as I was told (and I do expect hosting companies to be checking their emails during the day).

Anyway to cut a long story short, they are refusing to refund the amount. I am not using the hosting and in any case they have wasted 2 weeks of that by stalling.

Not to mention that the website that was taking up so many resources on their server is now happily sitting on a dedicated server with 20 other websites and no problems.

This has just left a bad taste in my mouth. So what are my options?
    1. Chargeback
    2. Forget about it - not worth it

I hadn't used option 1 till now as being a vendor I know it is quite irritating without being given a chance. But honestly how many chances should these people get?

I am totally put off by their service.

So as far as recommendations go - definitely stay away.
      0 Not allowed!

What's the amount in question?
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I would get in contact with your bank, they should be able to pull back the credit it from them bit like what paypal do when you request a refund
      0 Not allowed!

I wouldn't say they are obliged to gave you the money back - but I would also say that they are fault.

If they are bothered about their reputation they should refund - it's just courtesy! But as I said, I don't think it's a completely black and white case.
    Selling: W3BSPACE.com domain - please get in touch (see profile) to make offers!
      0 Not allowed!

The amount - That is the irritating bit...

It's not like it is a huge amount and hundreds of dollars that they are having problems letting it go out of their hands.

It's approximately $35.

And honestly I'm more irritated at the run around and the whole attitude. It is crappy customer service IMO.
      0 Not allowed!

Issue a chargeback - you should be able to win it.

Beyond that the only reasoning for not refunding Credit Cards would be a fee - though its usually a negligible amount. The 14 day notification period is a bit much - most providers usually have a 1-5 day period.

Regardless of the amount I would say file a chargeback because it will hurt them in the long run if they get too many and their merchant notices (which they do!).
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.
      0 Not allowed!

I also don't think it is a black and white area. 14 days notice is not unreasonable for cancellation notices; I've seen that time-frame (and higher) in TOS I've looked at. It sounds like you may have been given approximately that much time to decide when you were notified. I'm not saying you are (or were) in the wrong, but it isn't clear that the host is either.
      0 Not allowed!

Go for the chargeback.

But I am still wondering why they said that you were running out of resources. Could they be overselling? Hmm I guess so.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Erum View Post
    I had a website hosted at Hard Hat Hosting - VDS account. Some weeks back, they emailed me saying that my website is using up too many resources which is affecting other accounts on the server. Their suggestion was that I should move up to a dedicated account.
    How busy is your website?
    Did you pay annually and now want refund for the unused period?
    If that's the case, the host should refund prorated amount.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL 2012 SmarterMail Enterprise
      0 Not allowed!

Did you agree to the TOS when you signed up? If so, they are entitled to the money, and a chargeback would be the wrong thing to do.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***
      0 Not allowed!

You were using too many resources, In my oppinion they went out of their way to keep your account active for you to decide to go to another host. If you were causing a problem on my hosting account I wouldn't have let you do that as the problem would still be there.

Also they offered you their dedicated solutions and you said to give you till monday implying that you would consider one of their dedis then. What you did is keep your account active and then left them once you found another host. If they require 14 days, they are in the right.
      0 Not allowed!

Well the problem I had with this whole issue was that if they ask for a 14 day notice, then I should have 14 days to give a notice, no? I had 3 days to decide ... not much of a notice period.

BeSeen I sure am glad, I wasn't using your hosting service in that case. And btw I did consider their dedicated option and I came to this forum to check up on reviews - found absolutely nothing on them and lots of good stuff on some others.

Anyway after writing to them again I have been told that I will be given a refund so all's well.
      0 Not allowed!

have you proposed to upgrade to more advanced package? I thing it would be the most suitable solution for this situation
      0 Not allowed!

In reality, although it's not good business, if you agreed to their terms of service (whether or not you read it) that states that you have to give them 14 days notice on cancellation, they can legally collect that money for the following month via a collections agency or any other means - it's all legal business.
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think any of you are reading what I am writing. I agreed to the TOS ... ok. So how am I supposed to give a 14 day notice when they are saying I have 3 days to decide?

Anyway since the matter is now resolved I'll be deleting the thread as soon as I find the delete button.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Erum View Post
    I don't think any of you are reading what I am writing. I agreed to the TOS ... ok. So how am I supposed to give a 14 day notice when they are saying I have 3 days to decide?

Anyway since the matter is now resolved I'll be deleting the thread as soon as I find the delete button.
    We realize that they only gave you 3 days, but thats besides the point, regardless of the day or time they request you to upgrade, you still had to notify them 14 days in advance before canceling - I realize that sounds crazy, and I agree that it's a ridiculous policy, but it is, legally, legit.

WHT doesn't delete threads, but they will close it for you - hit report on your original post and just request it.
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.
      0 Not allowed!

I'll be deleting the thread as soon as I find the delete button.
    There's no thread deleting here, but I'll close it up for you.
      0 Not allowed!